Cineworld to close all its UK cinemas putting 5,500 jobs at risk

Caporegime
That's another thing.
Piracy. There will be many who just pirate this. I don't believe you can see it without D+?

May be wrong on that.

For myself and gf it costs more to see it on d+ than to go to the cinema at that price.

This £20 fee is squarely aimed at families with children as that make sense for them and it would work out cheaper. Not most young adults unless you are a massive Disney fan.

Soldato
I think the premium Disney live action movies aren't permanently on Disney + if memory serves. So Mulan might get a free release but it won't be there all the time. But if you've bought it, it will.

Capodecina
Soldato
The problem with going to the cinema is other people's noise. Talking, food crunching, phones. I will never forget how my viewing of Let The Right One In in Soho was ruined by the guy a few seats down constantly eating popcorn through the entire thing - it is not a loud film, it has a large focus on silence and images, and for much of it all I could hear was crunch, crunch, crunch.

Also, it's a bit of a rip off - the last few films I've seen at the cinema - bar 1917 - have been a waste of money.

I know that it's hard to make cash as a cinema, really hard, but I think more and more it's becoming overrated and redundant. I only have a 24" monitor, but the last two films I watched at home, in particular, I feel I had a much better experience with than if I had watched them at a cinema [and one of them was in 4:3!]. Watching good films is not just dependent on a LARGE SCREEN SIZE but silence, concentration, darkness, atmosphere. You can control these at home, in the cinema you cannot, so you are paying money for something you have less of a chance of getting.

Caporegime
Best films in cinema are action based. I don't really watch any drama type ones there. Doesn't lend so well to the experience. And yeah, other people!

Caporegime
This £20 fee is squarely aimed at families with children as that make sense for them and it would work out cheaper. Not most young adults unless you are a massive Disney fan.

That's the issue.
And if it isn't a success there must have been enough people like me who don't want to pay for it.

Man of Honour
I'm amazed they're still in business then. Why would you pay a fortune for a ticket to go to a cinema that will actually ban you for taking in your own food/drink. When you could just go to your local Cineworld/Odeon/Vue etc and pay a similar ticket price and take your own food/drink in. I'm all for supporting independent businesses, but if they exist purely to rip off the consumer, then they're no better than a big chain and should just cease to exist.

They exist because there is no other choice. The next nearest cinema's for us is Inverness or Aberdeen each with a round trip of over 120 miles. That's why they get away with charging £9.50 per adult, a small fortune for drinks and snacks and operate a draconian policy against people who want to save some money and bring their own snacks. The same owner also owns the only nightclub in Elgin.

Capodecina
Soldato
They exist because there is no other choice. The next nearest cinema's for us is Inverness or Aberdeen each with a round trip of over 120 miles. That's why they get away with charging £9.50 per adult, a small fortune for drinks and snacks and operate a draconian policy against people who want to save some money and bring their own snacks. The same owner also owns the only nightclub in Elgin.

There used to be a cinema in Rupert Street, Soho called The One Cinema. Best cinema I've been in because it only showed independent films and didn't serve food.

Of course it closed down.

Soldato
Watching good films is not just dependent on a LARGE SCREEN SIZE but silence, concentration, darkness, atmosphere. You can control these at home, in the cinema you cannot
On the flipside I genuinely think any movie can suffer by watching it at home. My girlfriend rarely went to the cinema in the before-times, yet when we watch films at home there's always distractions... phone's pinging, washing up to do after dinner, toilet breaks (easier than in the cinema) etc. It's way too easy to get distracted and I think for this reason she doesn't actually like/or get involved in a lot of films as she would in the cinema. Same goes for me, and I think everyone but to a lesser degree. I also think that's why the streaming-only releases get panned more than theatrical releases.

Best films in cinema are action based. I don't really watch any drama type ones there. Doesn't lend so well to the experience. And yeah, other people!
As above, if you actually make the effort to watch a good drama in the cinema you'd find it a lot more involved than at home, in my opinion. Other people.. well yes I agree with that.

Soldato
I've just realised they also own Picturehouse which includes Duke of Yorks, the oldest working cinema in Britain (opened 1910 iirc).

That's a shame.
Aye; my go to cinema is PictureHouse central (Soho). It's a shame but the studios have binned all films this year which will only cause more harm than good from a wider economical standpoint. I'm up for paying a premium for watching some films on release but there's no way I want to experience the likes of Tenet / Dune et al from home on a first viewing.

Soldato
On the flipside I genuinely think any movie can suffer by watching it at home. My girlfriend rarely went to the cinema in the before-times, yet when we watch films at home there's always distractions... phone's pinging, washing up to do after dinner, toilet breaks (easier than in the cinema) etc. It's way too easy to get distracted and I think for this reason she doesn't actually like/or get involved in a lot of films as she would in the cinema. Same goes for me, and I think everyone but to a lesser degree. I also think that's why the streaming-only releases get panned more than theatrical releases.

As above, if you actually make the effort to watch a good drama in the cinema you'd find it a lot more involved than at home, in my opinion. Other people.. well yes I agree with that.

I suppose it depends how you treat the experience. If it's just after dinner boredom, throw on Netflix and pick something just because, then yeah, it's easy to get distracted.

When you've bought the latest blockbuster on 4K BluRay and you make a point of 'we're going to watch this tonight', it's different IMO, we have no trouble sitting and getting fully engrossed in a movie at home without constantly checking phones, taking toilet breaks, doing chores etc. I find it easier at home because I find other people making a noise, be it eating, whispering etc. absolutely infuriating, i can't concentrate on the film at all if someone is doing something distracting. Other than going to see LOTR back in the day (when I was a kid and probably irritating everyone else), all my cinema memories are generally negative - the irritation factor completely overshadows the film experience.

Permabanned
The company financials are horrific, losses to date for the financial over at over £1 billion, total debt over £6 billion.

Not showing Daniel Craig in a tight-fitting Tom Ford suit is the least of their worries.

Soldato
If it's just after dinner boredom, throw on Netflix and pick something just because, then yeah, it's easy to get distracted.
Trust me because of the above and because my girlfriend is generally 'not fussed' for watching movies, anything we sit down to watch is a big deal, coming after hour-long negotiations, comparing watchlists, "why don't we ever watch things I want" etc. ;):p I work in the industry so I absolutely want to give a movie my 100% concentration. I'm just pointing out how easy it is to pick your phone up from the coffee table, pause for a loo break etc. :)

I've never been one for "throwing on" a movie whilst I'm doing other stuff! Never understood that mentality and I've pulled people up on it in the Movies forum here where they psot silly things like "halfway through, it's rubbish so far and I'm not interested". Well duh, you're posting on a forum halfway through you muppet!

Yes, it's simple really....put your phone down or leave it in another room. Sounds like it is your mindset that stops the enjoyment at home more than anything else.
As above. I wasn't necessarily talking about me/us all the time. We're generally pretty good. I was talking about people in general watching movies at home. See above.

Capodecina
Soldato
On the flipside I genuinely think any movie can suffer by watching it at home. My girlfriend rarely went to the cinema in the before-times, yet when we watch films at home there's always distractions... phone's pinging, washing up to do after dinner, toilet breaks (easier than in the cinema) etc. It's way too easy to get distracted and I think for this reason she doesn't actually like/or get involved in a lot of films as she would in the cinema. Same goes for me, and I think everyone but to a lesser degree. I also think that's why the streaming-only releases get panned more than theatrical releases..

It's about the choices you make. When the the wife and I watch a film at home she leaves her phone in another room or it goes on silent, same for me. As for washing up, just do it before or after, ditto the toilet. Just takes minimal planning.

Soldato
I think the premium Disney live action movies aren't permanently on Disney + if memory serves. So Mulan might get a free release but it won't be there all the time. But if you've bought it, it will.

I thought a key promise of D+ that nothing gets removed, once things are added they stay there for good and they also promised an entire back catalogue of Disney content by the end of 2021.

Caporegime
I thought a key promise of D+ that nothing gets removed, once things are added they stay there for good and they also promised an entire back catalogue of Disney content by the end of 2021.

Yep.

Why would Disney remove anything?
Its completely crazy. They own it all. They get all the profit from platform.

More film delays reported today

Back
Top Bottom