Windows XP Laptop Fresh install Internet issues

Associate
Just refreshed an old XP laptop that i plan on selling, everything works fine, did a complete reinstall with all the drivers etc, I load up internet explorer, Google will work and it will display search results but any page further than that is just a Page cannot be displayed, network error type situation.

Ive tried downloading and installing various different internet browsers which fail in a range of different ways to not doing anything when you click on it or start to get going, then cannot download information from the server to complete installation.

Any help gratefully received.

many Thanks

Soldato
Best to get Windows Update running first, but for this you'll need to update the Windows Update Agent which seems difficult to find online - if you search Google for WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe, this should give what you need to transfer onto the XP machine with a USB stick.

I found Firefox ESR worked well with XP, but that was a few years ago. But things will be easier after you run Windows Update a few times and some restarts. :)

If you struggle to get the Windows Update Agent file working, I have the 32-bit version that worked for me in 2018. I could probably upload that for you if you need me to.

Associate
OP
Best to get Windows Update running first, but for this you'll need to update the Windows Update Agent which seems difficult to find online - if you search Google for WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe, this should give what you need to transfer onto the XP machine with a USB stick.

I found Firefox ESR worked well with XP, but that was a few years ago. But things will be easier after you run Windows Update a few times and some restarts. :)

If you struggle to get the Windows Update Agent file working, I have the 32-bit version that worked for me in 2018. I could probably upload that for you if you need me to.

Thanks guys, gives me some info to look over and I appreciate the offer. I'll use that info to have a dig around and see if I can sort it out. It's a 64bit version of xp however to make use of the extra ram in the machine so not sure if your file will be compatible or not but hopefully it would still work on a 64 bit system.

Soldato
Thanks guys, gives me some info to look over and I appreciate the offer. I'll use that info to have a dig around and see if I can sort it out. It's a 64bit version of xp however to make use of the extra ram in the machine so not sure if your file will be compatible or not but hopefully it would still work on a 64 bit system.
WindowsUpdateAgent30-x64.exe is the 64-bit file, but I've never used 64-bit XP before so can't vouch for it.

Soldato

I don’t suppose you could share this 32 but version? I’m creating an XP retro build and it would be hugely helpful :)

Soldato
I don’t suppose you could share this 32 but version? I’m creating an XP retro build and it would be hugely helpful :)
Uploaded both versions, should anybody need them.

32-bit: https://gofile.io/d/djauo5
64-bit: https://gofile.io/d/FcaMm4

Bear in mind that for me, running Windows Update didn't work straight away after the first reboot. For some reason it worked after rebooting a second time. So maybe you just need to install it, give it a minute before restarting and let Windows find it's feet for another minute before trying to run Windows Update.

Soldato
Uploaded both versions, should anybody need them.

32-bit: https://gofile.io/d/djauo5
64-bit: https://gofile.io/d/FcaMm4

Bear in mind that for me, running Windows Update didn't work straight away after the first reboot. For some reason it worked after rebooting a second time. So maybe you just need to install it, give it a minute before restarting and let Windows find it's feet for another minute before trying to run Windows Update.

You are a gentleman!! Thanks very much for that.

Back
Top Bottom