Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Soldato
Also just tried to do the calibration using dji assistant and its failing on second run same place each time, tried two different pc's. The compass and imu calibrated ok on device, but its just not getting the beeping from the sensors when it gets close to anything, I remember all my old mavics etc point blankly refused to move

Soldato
I've recently got into FPV flying. I tried a friend's FPV setup when camping a few years ago and it was the most fun I'd had in ages, no idea why I didn't start then.

Anyway, he still does it andhas been a massive help. He even builds his own, so I'm hoping when I can fly better I can build my own 5" racing drone. For the time being I have a TinyHawk 2 Freestyle and a smaller Mobula 6. I managed to get a Taranis QX7 second hand(but unused) and opted for the Eachine 800D goggles, which look ridiculous when on but have a nice big screen, very happy so far.

I managed to damage a motor on the TinyHawk in a big crash, but was able to replace it faily easily, despite having not use a soldering iron in 20+ years!

Absolutely loving flying though. Went straight into Acro/Air mode, and I'm glad I did. I definitely have a lot to learn but pretty pleased with some of the freestyle stuff I've been able to do already :D

Soldato
Also just tried to do the calibration using dji assistant and its failing on second run same place each time, tried two different pc's. The compass and imu calibrated ok on device, but its just not getting the beeping from the sensors when it gets close to anything, I remember all my old mavics etc point blankly refused to move

The Mavic Mini doesn't have forward sensors - see 11:40

Soldato
My son (8) has suggested he wants a drone for Christmas - unfortunately we're pretty close to Birmingham airport, so outside flight is going to be limited unless we head out of the city (based on the map here, we're ~20m outside the circle), so I guess it's mostly going to be used in the house/garden.

Also not wanting to spend too much... since he's 8, and chances are it'll get broken (although he'll be under careful supervision!) or he'll get bored within a few weeks (much more likely)... options I'm looking at are:

Ryze Tello
or one of these kits:

https://www.quadcopters.co.uk/betafpv-whoops/betafpv-whoop-racing-advanced-kit-2
https://www.quadcopters.co.uk/betafpv-whoops/betafpv-whoop-racing-fpv-starter-kit-2

Also considering the Mavic Mini, but that seems more serious and less of a "toy" (with a price tag to match) - also not sure how suitable it would be for indoor use?

Any thoughts on suitability?

The rules seem to be confusing, but if I understand them correctly, we don't need to register because all of the above are under 250g?

Thanks!

Soldato
He has a galaxy tab which I believe isn't officially supported, but some googling suggests will work, only thing is it doesn't have VR/fpv like the betafpv ones do?

Think he would like that feature :)

Edit: they do, but that would require a phone and compatible headset, e.g. Gearvr

Soldato
Well...

I ended up ordering him the mini Fpv one, since after a subtle chat I managed to determine he was really into the VR feature, and he can use it in the house and I guess get away without registering...

Also after watching loads of videos etc. whilst trying to figure out which to get him, I "accidentally" ordered myself an "as new" mavic mini for a decent price from Amazon warehouse *oops*

Soldato
Not sure if you knew but they just released the mavic mini 2? not sure how much better it is other than 4k?

I didn't know actually, but from a quick read, it looks like it will be quite a bit more than I paid! A few minor improvements to range, motors etc, but nothing significant by the look of it.

edit: Hah... you've got me doing more googling now, looks like the Mavic Air fly More combo can be had for £465... Not much more than the mini... is it worth ~£150 extra for a casual hobbyist (e.g. am I going to wish I'd spent the extra after a couple of months playing with the mini)?

Last edited:
Don
I wouldn't buy the Mavic Air 1. If you can get the Air 2 for that price then do it.
The main difference between the Mini and the Mini 2 is Occusync. This is a huge difference. The Air 1 and Mini 1 use WiFi and the range is poor. Occusync is what the Air 2, Pro, and Zoom use and is much, much better.

I will be buying a Mini 2 for fun in the next few days. I have an Air 2 but it's still fairly large and heavy and I'd like something I can just throw up in the sky whenever I feel like it.

Don
I'm trying to understand the new EASA drone rules that come in on 31st December and how they will affect me. So far I understand the following.
This applies to my Mavic Air 2.

From Jan 1st I will have to take an A2 competency course (about £200) to continue flying
Because the Mavic Air 2 doesn't comply with C1 specs (it has not been certified and never will be because you can't retrospectively apply the certification):
From Dec 31st 2022 I will no longer be able to fly my drone within 150M of any residential, commercial, or recreational area (so for all intents and purposes, I will not be able to fly anywhere).

This is not good. If I am understanding the new rules correctly I need to pay for the course and even then, after 2022 my Mavic Air 2 becomes a paperweight.

Back
Top Bottom