B550 or X570?

Soldato
Is the MSI B550 Tomahawk a mistake then? Was leaning in that direction, but perhaps I should have a rethink...
Tomahawk is a solid board. Just a bit expensive imo.

you can get other X570 with the same feature set and decent VRM performance for much less due to other boards having cash back offer (ASUS) or discounting. The tomahawk got a reputation and its price doesn’t seem to be discounted at all.

Soldato
Tomahawk is a solid board. Just a bit expensive imo.

you can get other X570 with the same feature set and decent VRM performance for much less due to other boards having cash back offer (ASUS) or discounting. The tomahawk got a reputation and its price doesn’t seem to be discounted at all.

I have seen the Asus B550 E Gaming for just over £200, which IMHO is the best priced B550 board at the moment for value and spec wise.

Soldato
That price is in X570 territory and far from value for B550.

I did say B550, besides not everybody likes a fan like on the X570 boards or needs more PCIe 4 lanes, personally I would wait for next gen Ryzen and motherboards at this late stage, hopefully we'll know soon either way.

Associate
I did say B550, besides not everybody likes a fan like on the X570 boards or needs more PCIe 4 lanes, personally I would wait for next gen Ryzen and motherboards at this late stage, hopefully we'll know soon either way.

Do you mean the chipset fan? It isn't an issue at all because the fan only turn on during boot, after that it will turn off until the chipset reach high temp.

And £200 is expensive for b550 board, for the same amount I bought x570 tomahawk last week.

Associate
Do you mean the chipset fan? It isn't an issue at all because the fan only turn on during boot, after that it will turn off until the chipset reach high temp.

And £200 is expensive for b550 board, for the same amount I bought x570 tomahawk last week.

Nope, that's wrong.

While it may be true for some boards, it's definitely not for my Asus Strix x570-F, the chipset fan is constantly on and audible.

I really wish somebody told me that before I bought damn thing.

Yes, I've been in contact with Asus, it's completely normal, unless you can find find a way to improve airflow (which is impossible because it's blocked by a huge graphics card), that's just how it is.

Associate
Nope, that's wrong.

While it may be true for some boards, it's definitely not for my Asus Strix x570-F, the chipset fan is constantly on and audible.

Yes, I've been in contact with Asus, it's completely normal, unless you can find find a way to improve airflow (which is impossible because it's blocked by a huge graphics card), that's just how it is.

Not even changing settings in bios can turn it off?

I had x570 itx mb and now tomahawk, both chipset fans will turn off after boot. My case is h510 which is not a airflow case, no intake fan and only have 2 exhaust fans.

Soldato

Depends on the manufacturer, MSI X570 Tomahawk has good VRMs, onboard sound is still the older ALC1200, which MSI seem to be plugging on all their lower spec X570 boards and B550, not to mention most of the MSI X570 boards have crappy VRMs compared to even the B550 boards, only the MSI X570 Tomahawk and the more expensive MSI boards have decent VRMs, unless you look at their MSI B550 range.

MSI dropped the ball compared to their older B450 range in regards to VRM.

You say 200 quid is expensive,what do you say about the 400 to 900 quid X570 boards?...Most of the top end B550 boards are under £300 and some great ones in £200 to £250 range. X570 is only worth it if you take advantage of the extra PCIe 4 lanes, I know I won't, I only need two ie video card and one M2 SSD (in my case PCIe 3 speed at the moment), so B550 is fine for me especially with ALC1220 onboard sound ,onboard AX Wifi, 2.5Gb LAN etc... (a lot of X570 don't even have those specs), hmm have those specs at a good price or more PCIe 4 lanes and fan?...Think I have something like Asus B550 E Gaming, however I'm holding off for the next gen since in no rush.

End of the day B550 and X570 has to tick all or most of YOUR boxes on what you need and price, I know exactly what I need, so not always clear cut between B550 and X570, since specs between X570 models/brands varies just like on the B550 models from manufacturers.

Always great to have choices :) .

Last edited:
Associate
Not even changing settings in bios can turn it off?

I had x570 itx mb and now tomahawk, both chipset fans will turn off after boot. My case is h510 which is not a airflow case, no intake fan and only have 2 exhaust fans.

Nope, nothing in the bios can disable them that I know of, one would hope the lovely people over at the Asus forums would have told me if that was the case.

Not sure I would want too though, HWiNFO reports the chipset at 59C and the chipset fan at 1,985RPM while idle. Airflow should be more than just fine, two 240mm fans for intakes, 4x120 for exhaust.

Again, this apparently is completely normal, I would have assumed it was misreported....

Last edited:
Depends on the manufacturer, MSI X570 Tomahawk has good VRMs, onboard sound is still the older ALC1200, which MSI seem to be plugging on all their lower spec X570 boards and B550, not to mention most of the MSI X570 boards have crappy VRMs compared to even the B550 boards, only the MSI X570 Tomahawk and the more expensive MSI boards have decent VRMs, unless you look at their MSI B550 range.

You say 200 quid is expensive,what do you say about the 400 to 900 quid X570 boards?...Most of the top end B550 boards are under £300 and some great ones in £200 to £250 range. X570 is only worth it if you take advantage of the extra PCIe 4 lanes, I know I won't, I only need two ie video card and one M2 SSD (in my case PCIe 3 speed at the moment), so B550 is fine for me especially with ALC1220 onboard sound ,onboard AX Wifi, 2.5Gb LAN etc... (a lot of X570 don't even have those specs), hmm have those specs at a good price or more PCIe 4 lanes and fan?...Think I have something like Asus B550 E Gaming, however I'm holding off for the next gen since in no rush.

End of the day B550 and X570 has to tick all or most of YOUR boxes on what you need and price, I know exactly what I need, so not always clear cut between B550 and X570, since specs between X570 models/brands varies just like on the B550 models from manufacturers.

Always great to have choices :) .
B550 Tomahawk + Zen 3 (5800X) for me I think. Should do the job. Hopefully I can use the q-flash to update the bios without a CPU (seems like I won't get a manufactured and updated board unless I wait for a while?).

Soldato
I did say B550, besides not everybody likes a fan like on the X570 boards
That's brand sucker problem.
Only badly designed boards have chipset fan running constantly.
In properly designed boards it runs only rarely if case cooling is good.

£200 gets X570 board using properly designed chipset cooler with good size heatsink farther from heat of graphics card and fan not restricted by marketing excrements.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...4-x570-chipset-atx-motherboard-mb-57w-gi.html
And Wifi doesn't cost much more in MSI X570 Tomahawk.
So over £200 is simply too expensive for B550.

Well, that's Asus with their bad X570 cooler designs straight from anus of marketroids.
In Finnish PC forum one user got chipset of higher up C8H board running at 83C under 2080 Ti Strix (own card of Asus!) in longer gaming sessions.

They simply tried riding on reputation to cash big.
Just like Asus did in B450 boards with scam level VRMs, like gamer hype Strix B450-F.
And in X570 Asus crap designs continue in chipset cooling.

The most important thing is to never ever buy brand.
Because they all suck and use it to scam you, if you keep buying blindly without actually researching product in question.
(research ≠ reading repetitions of marketing lines)

Soldato
£200 gets X570 board using properly designed chipset cooler with good size heatsink farther from heat of graphics card and fan not restricted by marketing excrements.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...4-x570-chipset-atx-motherboard-mb-57w-gi.html
And Wifi doesn't cost much more in MSI X570 Tomahawk.
So over £200 is simply too expensive for B550.

Problem is quite a few X570 boards in the 200 quid range including the Tomahawk have the inferior older ALC1200 onboard sound, all X570 should have the newer ALC1220 onboard sound IMHO.

As I stated it has to tick all YOUR boxes, unfortunately quite a few don't for me.

Associate
Well, that's Asus with their bad X570 cooler designs straight from anus of marketroids.
In Finnish PC forum one user got chipset of higher up C8H board running at 83C under 2080 Ti Strix (own card of Asus!) in longer gaming sessions.

Ouch, mine creeps into the low 60s while gaming but never that high. :(

Soldato
B550, unless the transfer speed bugs have been fixed on x570, but I've not seen any reports that they have.

Sata speed is not as good as other platforms

https://old.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/fwh7q0/sata_performance_is_gimped_on_x570_compared_to/

SM2262/EN based NVME suffer speed loss when going through the chipset.

https://old.reddit.com/r/NewMaxx/comments/e54188/x570_chipset_sm2262en_bug/
https://old.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/earq5a/x570_sm2262en_nvme_drives/

Not seen any reports that either issue has been fixed on x570.

Back
Top Bottom