• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What to expect from AMD on October 8th?

Soldato
Will there be review/benchmarks lifted on the 8th as well, or just product info ?

It really needs to be a storming performance at good prices for me.
I am currently on a relatively old cpu, i5 8600 running all cores 4.7
I am gaming on my pc, but no other intensive tasks.
The only intel upgrade path without changing mobo is an i9 9900k for circa £370. Even that is only to scratch an itch, it won't make a huge difference as far as I can tell.
So the new amd gen needs to have a model that substantially kicks the i9 9900k into the weeds in gaming to warrant a new mobo and cooler block :p

Associate
Will there be review/benchmarks lifted on the 8th as well, or just product info ?

The only intel upgrade path without changing mobo is an i9 9900k for circa £370. Even that is only to scratch an itch, it won't make a huge difference as far as I can tell.
So the new amd gen needs to have a model that substantially kicks the i9 9900k into the weeds in gaming to warrant a new mobo and cooler block :p
I think it will just be the AMD presentation on the 8th so some hand picked benchies are likely. - Rmour is that the CPUs wont be out until the backend of Oct so we will not have any impartial data until later this month. Availability after that will likely be sparse as they will be popular.

My upgrade itch is getting worse by the day with "in stock" Intel tempting me

Soldato
I think Im going to jump in on this launch. I know I have a last gen CPU, and I normally wait 2 or 3 gen before upgrading. I dunno, I just like the idea of a drop in replacement,.

Yeah, it’s nice. I have 3 desktop AM4 systems at home so for every new CPU I buy I get to upgrade 3 systems!

Associate
Looking forward to this! My 3700X isn't exactly struggling but I always intended to look at the drop in upgrade channel from the new Zen

Associate

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-9900K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3600X/4028vs4041

Even considering current AMD line up. The 3600x is only 15% slower but 50% cheaper, the saving (£200) would get you a good future proof X570/B550 Motherboard as well and have plenty upgrade paths (8>12>16 cores) so with new CPUs coming up you could confidently say AMD will kick you current processors ass

Associate
I think Im going to jump in on this launch. I know I have a last gen CPU, and I normally wait 2 or 3 gen before upgrading. I dunno, I just like the idea of a drop in replacement,.

I'm planning to replace my i7-5820k - which according to benchmarks is less than half as good as your 3700X at stock speeds :D

Soldato
I have a 2600x and Vega64. I don't know which to upgrade, if any. Both CPU and GPU i've skipped a generation. 2600 > skip 3000 series > buy 5000 series? GPU wise, Vega 64 (GCN) > skip RDNA > RDNA 2? I don't know which is more important. If I were to do the GPU is it going to just be bottlenecked by the 2600x. What would you guys do first? Ta

Soldato
are AMD boards usually cheaper than the intel ones or around the same?

I've been looking at an i5 10600k and a z490 board but the total cost was around £460

Hoping that, that £460 will get me better performance with AMD (although I've no idea how much better performance)

Soldato
AMD boards have traditionally been cheaper, although that has increased somewhat
There are good B550 boards around the £150 mark, and good X570 boards around the £210 mark.

B550 is good enough for most, having PCI-E 4 on the primary GPU slot and primary M.2 slot (x570 has PCIE4 on everything). This would leave you around £300 which would easily get you a Ryzen 5 with money to spare, or potentially a Ryzen 7.

The trick is we don't know where prices will go, but I suspect AMD will continue to have an advantage, either in performance, features, cores, or some/all of these.

Associate
Sitting with a 3300x and cant wait to replace it (just bought as a stop gap but has been a good chip) and the idea of a great single threaded bump just sounds like intel parity or domination to me :)

Associate
Surprised I'm even hyped about a CPU launch... I mean I don't even need to upgrade my CPU for web browsing and 4K gaming...

Damn this place and Reddit and the internet! :)

Associate
I have a 2600x and Vega64. I don't know which to upgrade, if any. Both CPU and GPU i've skipped a generation. 2600 > skip 3000 series > buy 5000 series? GPU wise, Vega 64 (GCN) > skip RDNA > RDNA 2? I don't know which is more important. If I were to do the GPU is it going to just be bottlenecked by the 2600x. What would you guys do first? Ta

I'm thinking same.
I have i7 2600k at 4.3ghz
Plus overclocked Vega 56.

I'm thinking of upgrade. However for me it looks like I would need to do the whole lot. Then I would need a better monitor as only have 22 1080p

So would just prob end up with same frames in games as I have now at 1080p but at 1440p widescreen.

Need to work out if there would be enough wow jumping a resolution or not?

Back
Top Bottom