Quest 2 Facebook leak - XR2 chipset, 6gb RAM, "almost 4k display"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
Gonna order one of these for the boy for christmas, seems like a decent price for a first foray into VR, crappy facebook aside. Seems the 64GB will be plenty, will be mainly PC VR stuff.

He has a 1070Ti and Ryzen 2600, should be "ok" right?

Last edited:
Soldato
Gonna order one of these for the boy for christmas, seems like a decent price for a first foray into VR, crappy facebook aside. Seems the 64GB will be plenty, will be mainly PC VR stuff.

He has a 1070Ti and Ryzen 2600, should be "ok" right?

its basically 4K @ 90hz, so for most "VR" games it should just about be ok, but for anything like a proper PC game with VR enabled it might struggle

Soldato
its basically 4K @ 90hz, so for most "VR" games it should just about be ok, but for anything like a proper PC game with VR enabled it might struggle

This is the issue, the quest 2 being used as a pcvr is going to struggle for most people. 2070/2080 super's are going to struggle due to the 4k @90hz resolution.
That's why im sticking with my rift s

Soldato
OP
This is the issue, the quest 2 being used as a pcvr is going to struggle for most people. 2070/2080 super's are going to struggle due to the 4k @90hz resolution.

There will be different quality/performance options for Oculus Link. Currently Quest 2 is running at Quest resolution in link anyway, but of course you'll get the benefit of the much reduced SDE, even if it's not rendering at native resolution.

Soldato

You can sub-sample and still get the benefit of the reduced SDE - even at half resolution things like the G2 still get very good reviews compared with other headsets

Soldato
Mines is showing as the 16th. I ordered it like the instant pre-orders went live too.

Idiot - ordered on the 16th :p

Just did the same double take myself.. went from :( to :)

Although don't know why, I'll set it up, check it's working etc then best to put it away for a few weeks, we are about 3-4 weeks off from having a double extension completed of which one of rooms is now a gaming room/cinema/play room with a 3.5m x 3.5m area for VR set aside.. Sadly due to cost I'll be doing all the flooring, fitting kitchens etc and know we'll probably aim to get it done by Xmas meaning no huge time for gaming :(

what card would breeze 4k 90hz?
would a 3070 do it?

Breezing 4k on PC VR Titles isn't easy, a 2080ti crumbles under some, so I'd go with the 3080 as suggested above (I've got one on pre-order, I hope it arrives just as I finish decorating the new games room/fitting the kitchen so I can enjoy Half Life Alyx and Squadrons VR over Xmas..)

Caporegime
Just did the same double take myself.. went from :( to :)

Although don't know why, I'll set it up, check it's working etc then best to put it away for a few weeks, we are about 3-4 weeks off from having a double extension completed of which one of rooms is now a gaming room/cinema/play room with a 3.5m x 3.5m area for VR set aside.. Sadly due to cost I'll be doing all the flooring, fitting kitchens etc and know we'll probably aim to get it done by Xmas meaning no huge time for gaming :(

Breezing 4k on PC VR Titles isn't easy, a 2080ti crumbles under some, so I'd go with the 3080 as suggested above (I've got one on pre-order, I hope it arrives just as I finish decorating the new games room/fitting the kitchen so I can enjoy Half Life Alyx and Squadrons VR over Xmas..)

Just play it in the garden! :p

Good luck with your pre-xmas 3080 dreams!

Soldato
It’s actually worse than 4k 90hz because unless the game is using SPS or Sampler Feedback, you have to render the scene twice for the two different view points.

VR unless well optimised with those sort of features is significantly more demanding than the flat screen resolution equivalents. For example when iRacing implemented SPS apparently it led to a performance boost of around 20-30% iirc. One could infer that for that game at least, the requirement for rendering 2 viewpoints led to around 20-30% higher overhead than the flat equivalent would have. It also comes with some drawbacks though especially as regards the 3D effect so it isn’t better than just having the required performance in the first place.

I think the 3070 (Or indeed whatever AMD release soon in that ballpark) will still do a fantastic job at relatively reasonable cost, you just have to be realistic and understand that you can’t max out all settings in a lot of games.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just play it in the garden! :p

Good luck with your pre-xmas 3080 dreams!

The Garden sadly looks like a building site! But the games room just needs some more paint (already mist coated and top coated behind the radiators/around light switches etc) and a bit of flooring and it'll be a perfect empty room!

Yeah, the 3080 debacle.. it's OK I'm only queue number 12314234123412341234 for one of them, should arrive by the time the 4080 is announced.. (Actually I'm 265 for an MSI Gaming X and 440 for the Asus TUF OC, there's the slimmest of slimmest Santa might bring one to me on his sleigh).

Soldato
Good luck to you guys in the queues for Nvidia's latest cards.

My 2070 Super will have to do me until next year at least.

The Quest 2 I ordered is set for delivery on the 21st of October, the Elite strap is causing the delay.

Soldato
In all honesty the 2070S is going to be more than adequate for the vast majority of stuff as long as you aren’t expecting to play on high settings everywhere. In well optimised games like Alyx I bet it’ll be great.

I’m hankering for an upgrade from my 2070S, but that’s mostly because I’m playing sims that are ridiculously demanding for VR performance. I really want to play MSFS2020 in VR when that comes out and I think it’s likely a 2070S trying to push 4k-ish headsets in that game is going to struggle even with 45fps for reprojection without completely nerfing the visuals.

Soldato
OP
I'm really feeling the need for a 3080, mainly to play modded Skyrim and sims which my 1080ti is currently struggling to run at acceptable frame-rates without reprojecton. (Currently using an Index). I've given up on getting one for now due to the lack of supply. Just as well as I've bought the Quest 2 256gb + Battery stap and case, which wasn't cheap!

Associate
Good luck to you guys in the queues for Nvidia's latest cards.

My 2070 Super will have to do me until next year at least.

The Quest 2 I ordered is set for delivery on the 21st of October, the Elite strap is causing the delay.

I ordered a battery strap and case, which is delayed but they just charged me for the headset.

Soldato
Hi I'm considering getting a quest 2.

For a newbie entering VR what games would you recommend off the bat?

Also (using quest one experience) are the graphics reduced for the quest when not linked to the pc for most games?

I've got a 2700x and 1070ti. Would I be able to run alyx?

I'm thinking a quest one with a lower res might be a better option?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom