Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
Just received a VST basket today, not cheap at £28 delivered but boy....what a revelation, it’s made my coffee much better. I’ve not changed the settings at all from the old Gaggia basket and it is coming out much more like how it should with everything the same.

Totally worth the £28.

Just been looking at getting one of these. Mind if I ask you get it from?

I'd be interested to know if you are still using the standard Gaggia portfilter as well, I don't really want to have to change the pf too!

Soldato
Missed this reply, yep I think thats definitely it. I need to take the plunge...with the aeropress :p and then I can start working out what I wanna do.

I found that Rave Coffee do a little gift pack, aeropress, 250g coffee and a little book for 30 so I might just put that on my christmas list as the missus never knows what to get me!

Rave seems a fairly decent brand but I am sure that is whole other rabbit hole to go down!

I've tried loads of places, but always end up going back to rave. I've just started a subscription with them and I like that they now have a rewards system.

Caporegime
Just been looking at getting one of these. Mind if I ask you get it from?

I'd be interested to know if you are still using the standard Gaggia portfilter as well, I don't really want to have to change the pf too!

I am not using the original portafilter as the plastic handle's has gone brittle, I tried replacing just the plastic part but the bolt that tighten them together was rusted too much for me to remove it so just replaced it with another. I have 2 wooden handle ones that is not Gaggia (no sprout, double sprout) and just ordered a new Gaggia one with single sprout (plastic handle too).

The VST basket is from Hasbean.

All the portafiler, baskets are interchangable as long as they are 58mm.

Soldato
I am not using the original portafilter as the plastic handle's has gone brittle, I tried replacing just the plastic part but the bolt that tighten them together was rusted too much for me to remove it so just replaced it with another. I have 2 wooden handle ones that is not Gaggia (no sprout, double sprout) and just ordered a new Gaggia one with single sprout (plastic handle too).

The VST basket is from Hasbean.

All the portafiler, baskets are interchangable as long as they are 58mm.

Cheers for the info.

Soldato
I've often lurked in here, so after having skimmed through the last 3-400 posts, I've decided its time to upgrade from my filter machine which is excellent at making watery, warm coffee.

Gone for simplicity with an AeroPress, as this will be for my own use. Using the 15% off code on Rave, I've bought it with a bag included of beans included, as well as two 250g bags that piqued my interest for a grand total of £36.95. Got them all as beans too, as I already have my own grinder. :)

Soldato
I needed to replace the mechanical thermostat during my Silvia ownership
- can you see any peculiarities at the treminals of the element, or, haven't yet taken off the cover ?

I had an initial problem with some RCD trips on the 2nd hand machine that replaced the silvia, which I think was down to moisture that had somehow got into the hydroscopic powder that insulates the element , but was eventually driven off - the web suggested that, anyway.

Soldato
Yeah, terminals all look fine. Quite a few examples online where the element fails and causes this issue - so I’m fairly confident it’ll be a replacement element or boiler. I believe mine (v3) doesn’t have a replaceable element so it’s probably easier to replace the boiler with a newer style one.

Although I’ve some how gotten it into my head that if I’m going to spend £100+ repairing it - I may as well get the Lelit MaraX I’ve been eyeing up :confused:

Associate
I've often lurked in here, so after having skimmed through the last 3-400 posts, I've decided its time to upgrade from my filter machine which is excellent at making watery, warm coffee.

@Ryan-3 Best of luck, your wallet may punish you! This thread has been a great resource for me over the last few months. I was quite distraught when I finally got up to date :D.

Gone for simplicity with an AeroPress

I've embarked on a similar route. I knew I "liked" coffee, but having never had an actual espresso I didn't want to drop a few hundred quid on something I didn't take to. I also couldn't take an espresso machine into work, hence the AeroPress, and a moka pot for mixing it up at home. Then when home working looked like a longer (and longer...) prospect I thought I'd add some light to the apocalypse!

Soldato
clock is ticking, if you haven't got a daily fix - is it £100 , or the £50 theexpressoshop is showing me, ?
agree it will probably take most of a day though to change it, do you have a pid too.

I had used some cpu silver heatsink compound on re-attaching the thermostat.

Caporegime
If its that much of a burden I'll take it off your hands ;)

Actually came in here to get a recommendation for a new bean, getting a bit tired of the outpost timber town. Whats everyones go to at the moment?

i am working my way through all the different Union beans from Sainsbury’s, it’s rather excellent for something £4-5 and easily accessible.

Soldato
clock is ticking, if you haven't got a daily fix - is it £100 , or the £50 theexpressoshop is showing me, ?
agree it will probably take most of a day though to change it, do you have a pid too.

I had used some cpu silver heatsink compound on re-attaching the thermostat.

Fortunately I still have my Sage precision brewer ;)

The £100 I quoted was for the boiler inc. new element, as V3 and earlier machines don’t have a replaceable element. It’s still doable but requires drilling the old one out and I’d rather a new boiler instead of doing that.

No PID, so by the time you factor in adding that, this is where the idea of a new machine comes in.

Caporegime
What are people's thoughts on the base of a tamper, curved or flat?

I remember YEARSSSSSSSSSSS ago looking into this and my conclusion was that the difference were small and some how I ended up choosing a curved one. However, since lately I moved to just 14g dose (rather than just filled to the brim with ground), proper size basket and realised that the 4 holes on the gaggia is on the outside. Meaning a curved tamper would have less pressure on the outside. The difference between the centre to the edge in height is probably under 1mm but if 1g of coffee can have an affect on the extraction I am thinking this pressure difference would too. Especially now the puck is 20% thinner than previously.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've finally hit buy on a Niche Zero after umming and ahhing all summer. I guess the shipping dates tend to be accurate? Looking like December at the moment.

They are accurate as they do them in batches and they are almost made to order so if you are not on a batch run then you will be on the next one or the one after that. They seem to have a consistent number they produce each batch.

What colour did you go for?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom