Identify fault with Oven

Soldato
Hi guys never had an issue with such an appliance before. Our AEG oven of 5 years old randomly tonight decided to not warm up. The fan comes on, lights up etc but the temp doesnt seem to climb.

Is this most likely the Fan Element? It sounds like it but not 100% sure

Any advice appreciated

A parts site seems to point to one at about £35, not sure if that's genuine or 3rd party. It claims to be genuine

Thanks

Man of Honour
What's going on with the temperature light? If it's not on then I'd suspect a thermostat issue. If it's on then I'd suspect element.

Either way, if its a model that you can easily the internals of then it shouldn't be too tricky to diagnose if you have a multimeter.

Soldato
OP
What's going on with the temperature light? If it's not on then I'd suspect a thermostat issue. If it's on then I'd suspect element.

Either way, if its a model that you can easily the internals of then it shouldn't be too tricky to diagnose if you have a multimeter.

The temperature light as in by the temperature knob? The one that usually goes out once the desired temp is reached? That's just on as the heat isnt building enough to knock it off I think

Associate
In my experience, it is either the fan element or a thermal cutout fuse (I've had both go on my range oven at different points with exactly the same fault you're reporting). It is usually an easy enough to confirm the fault if you can get to the back of the oven and have a multimeter to hand, just be prepared to deconstruct a bit (after isolating the power!)

Soldato
Apart from an element, I had an ecapsulated relay go on a French Brand fan oven, no heat, replacement was purchased from RS, soldered into board.

Soldato
The temperature light as in by the temperature knob? The one that usually goes out once the desired temp is reached? That's just on as the heat isnt building enough to knock it off I think

Probably a blown element then. I have done this myself recently very easy and cheap to do.

If you take the oven out and locate the element and take it out you should be able to see just buy looking at it. Otherwise take a meter to it and see if it makes a circuit.

Soldato
Shouldn't even need to take the oven out for most ovens. They normally just have an access panel inside the oven at the back where the fan vent is.

I know on our Neff oven (~15 years old) it was just 4 screws and two wire clips. Easy 10 minute job.

Soldato
Shouldn't even need to take the oven out for most ovens. They normally just have an access panel inside the oven at the back where the fan vent is.

I know on our Neff oven (~15 years old) it was just 4 screws and two wire clips. Easy 10 minute job.

Yea mine is an older Hotpoint double oven, the main element in the bottom oven as you say is just a few screws and accessed in the oven.

Typically with mine, the one that blew was the lower element of the top oven which you needed to take the whole thing out, and again, typical, was the most expensive of the 3 elements, although saying that it still wasn't expensive.

Soldato
Based on this its most likely the Fan Element, Had to replace ours at the end of last year same symptoms. Depending on how its installed its usually fairly simple to replace if your handy! Just make sure the oven is disconnected from the mains before starting anything.

Soldato
OP
I just installed a new element, straight swap for the old one...

No change :( hopefully I can return it but not sure what to try next

Hope I can return it, just checks and says it cant be returned if used/fitted. But in the same sentence says it can if it doesnt fit. But must also be unopened? Kind of impossible :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Yup that'll be a ring element part number is 387 86 84-10 / 3 although you may get some non oem ones.
To change it is a doddle and you don't need to pull it out.
Turn off power to oven
If you know how to take door off do so, makes it easier but not essential.
Undo four screws on fan cover inside oven
Undo two screws on ring element.
Carefully pull element out, two wires attached to it can be disconnected once out far enough, don't let them slip back behind.
Fit wires to new element (doesn't matter which way round) and put it all back together.

Soldato
(he already posted he bought&tried element ?)

next - do you have any means/meter of measuring the element resistance ? , to confirm/check old one is good ?
if it's a 2.5KW should be should be some 20ohms,

if you can trace the oven element back you may find you arrive at a relay board like
https://shop.aeg.co.uk/cooking/cook...imers/cooker-relay-control-board/p/3051634222
where you could test the relays if you have a meter., and, see if anything looks blackened, say,
which is what I've previously had to replace.

Soldato
@jpaul oops didn't see that post, that oven only has a selector switch, thermostat and overheat stat.

@kinger8938 where abouts are you and as jpaul says do you have a meter, also does the grill heat up?
Is the light coming on on the control panel by temp knob?

Soldato
OP
@jpaul oops didn't see that post, that oven only has a selector switch, thermostat and overheat stat.

@kinger8938 where abouts are you and as jpaul says do you have a meter, also does the grill heat up?
Is the light coming on on the control panel by temp knob?

Hi thanks, located in Trowbridge , Wiltshire

With regard to the grill, I haven't actually tried it. Will do today

Currently I've took the element off and popped the new one away until I know what else to try.

The light by the temp knob comes on yeah. Usually would tick off once heat is reached but obviously it stays on as the heat isnt happening

I dont have a reader but may have one at work I could pinch and take home

Soldato
Its going to be either the selector switch (pull knob off, two screws to undo usually torx20 turn it over and pop cover off underneath might show some discolouring) overheat stat probably on the back near grill terminals but they can be in quite a few places, just follow the wiring from element and the wiring itself.

Back
Top Bottom