Show Us Your Motors!

Soldato
Not sure whether I'd get too hung up on the driving assistant plus package tbh. Now I've had it I'm not sure I'd actually spend the money on that option box myself. It can't drive itself without constant intervention anyway so you are better off just driving it the old fashioned way. It's something cool to show your friends but beyond that I'm not sold on how useful it really is.

Having lived with it for a little bit, I would say the absolute must have options are.
  • Icon adaptive lights
  • comfort access
  • 4 zone AC / rear heated seats (young baby so rear seats in constant use)
  • Heated wheel (I get Reynauds so this is awesome)
  • Heads up display
  • 360 camera
  • Electronic damper control. Ride is sublime even on 20s and the roll control is great with the active roll bars.
The rest of it I could take or leave. Semi-autonomous driving isn't all that. Bowers and wilkins sound system is very average really, I don't think it's any better than base audio system in my old Toyota. Wireless charger is a bit useless, phone is tucked way in the centre console and you can't see it or access it easily. Soft close doors, bit useless, you have to make an effort to close the door softly enough for it not to just latch fully anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Not sure whether I'd get too hung up on the driving assistant plus package tbh. Now I've had it I'm not sure I'd actually spend the money on that option box myself. It can't drive itself without constant intervention anyway so you are better off just driving it the old fashioned way. It's something cool to show your friends but beyond that I'm not sold on how useful it really is.

Having lived with it for a little bit, I would say the absolute must have options are.
  • Icon adaptive lights
  • comfort access
  • 4 zone AC / rear heated seats (young baby so rear seats in constant use)
  • Heated wheel (I get Reynauds so this is awesome)
  • Heads up display
  • 360 camera
  • Electronic damper control. Ride is sublime even on 20s and the roll control is great with the active roll bars.
The rest of it I could take or leave. Semi-autonomous driving isn't all that. Bowers and wilkins sound system is very average really, I don't think it's any better than base audio system in my old Toyota. Wireless charger is a bit useless, phone is tucked way in the centre console and you can't see it or access it easily. Soft close doors, bit useless, you have to make an effort to close the door softly enough for it not to just latch fully anyway.

Surely the rear heated seats heats the baby seat only?

Man of Honour

I've done about 6k miles in various BMW models with it fitted, i do actually agree with your criticisms but do think adaptive cruise is well worth having now.

Soldato
BMW Heads up Display...... Damn I miss the X5 with that in.

It's the only bit of recent tech that actually added serious value to driving and just made everything more enjoyable. I didn't have to constantly look at a dial in this world of random speed limit changes and Smart Motorways.

Soldato
BMW Heads up Display...... Damn I miss the X5 with that in.

It's the only bit of recent tech that actually added serious value to driving and just made everything more enjoyable. I didn't have to constantly look at a dial in this world of random speed limit changes and Smart Motorways.

I agreed, my Evoque as a First Edition had a good spec, including HUD - which I wasnt too fussed out. But now no longer having the car its immensely more useful that i considered - Speed, Nav and the cruise/ACC setting all mean I'm now conscious I'm taking my eyes off the road considerably more.

Soldato
Decided to take these, just to give you all panic attacks :p

hCzx9q7.png

CF3BiIN.png

JaASRkW.png

It's parked under trees, and because i've not been driving it for work, it's been sat under trees for around 7 months now, with only 1 or 2 runs out a month. I came to use it last night and it won't start. First time it's had an issue in 9 years :(

Soldato
It’s been neglected ever since we went from one car to two and my wife got her own (around 2017). You should see the inside :p

It’s cranking. Just not ticking over. Fortunately last October I had an issue where the car kept going mental. Whenever stop start kicked in. It just kept shutting down and flicking all the engine/electrics on/off so I took out RAC cover. Least I’ve actually got to use it.

It’s the original battery too so presume it’s not meant to last much longer anyway.

It has had a few decent runs up to the Lakes/Blackpool over the last few months so it’s a little surprising. The last run was around 3 weeks ago.

Soldato
Right, seems a new battery is needed. Am i right in thinking it's actually pretty easy to replace myself?

The battery is located right at the front of the engine bay, so really nice and accessible (other than some corroded looking bolts holding the tie down strap down).

Euro Car Parts all seems bloody expensive (even after the 40% discount)! Anyone have any suggestions on a battery that'd fit? (Reg WN61 HWL)

Maybe this isn't the thread for this :p

Back
Top Bottom