Iiyama GB3466WQSU-B1 Curve (1500R) 34” 1440 144Hz VA panel FreeSync Premium Pro

Soldato
I've not got flickering but apart from the couple of dead pixels stuck together, my screen seems to get dimmer and brighter on it's own at times, not sure what's going on.

Associate
I have just had my monitor replaced by Repairtech by going through the Iiyama uk helpdesk, I have checked it has Freesync premium and HDR 400 on startup screen and Freesync Premium on the miscellaneous screen when enabled, so its the latest firmware, I can confirm that I am still having the flickering problem, it does appear better but to be honest I could probably put up with the occasional flicker but the clicking noise from the monitor when it does it is more worrying, I`ve tried various setups freesync on or off gsync on or off from Nvidia CP, it even does it with adaptive sync off and any refresh rate set to 100 or 144Hz in windows display adaptor settings, worse at 144Hz though. Im going to try a new vesa certified cable just incase its something to do with that, not hopeful though.

Associate
Its a tricky issue is the problems are not just one thing. People even with the new firmware report flickering in certain aspects of a game, i.e. the menu screens, but not during game play. This has been a phenomenon since 144-165Hz and beyond screens game onto the market from all manufacturers. So there exists some glitch between a games settings, the GPU and a screen. But, only with some set ups. I have seen over the years people simply reinstalling the game after upgrading to 144Hz and that resolved the issue. All screens shipping will have the latest firmware as standard.

Is this true for 1080p also? I have a 165hz MSI monitor that has never, ever flickered.

Associate
Good Day To All!
I also have problems with the monitor flickering at 144 Hz. The firmware is not updated. Video card Vega 56.
The consolation is that the Vega 56 is not able to produce 144 Hz in most modern games.
Q: is it possible to update the monitor software yourself?

LRT

LRT

Associate
Associate
The more I think about it, will flickers in menus bother me that much? I don’t think it will. As long as it isn’t in game.

out of all the monitors with this panel, is the iiyama the best one to go with?

Associate
I sourced mine from elsewhere after contacting Iiyama directly and asked who had a recent shipment with the correct firmware.

Arrived, all plugged in and working with the latest firmware. I must say this monitor is spot on. I'm not using for gaming however I wanted an Ultrawide for single monitor work setup. This ticks the boxes for me.

I can't message you to ask who this is and I guess you can't post who it is here, so are you able to drop me a message on this one please? :)

Associate
I just played with Pendulum demo and flickering.
It's really caused by changing the monitor frequency, which can be seen in monitor menu (BTW the info about frequency isn't real time, so you have to still switch between two menus to update it, really shame :( )
The flickering was noticeable on around 72FPS when the monitor jumps between around this frequency and around 140. But what is interesting, that when I changed FreeSync range to 120 in CRU, it was more stable. For some reason the monitor didn't change the frequency so aggressively around 60FPS like with around 72FPS...

Associate
The best review I could find so far. It's in Dutch I believe, so I recommend using google translate.

https://nl.hardware.info/artikel/9987/iiyama-g-master-gb3466wqsu-b1-red-eagle-review-va-of-ips

https://translate.google.com/transl...ed-eagle-review-va-of-ips&prev=search&pto=aue

I hope it hasn't been posted here yet.
Thanks for posting this!

I copy and paste the reveiws update on flickering issue (translated from Dutch by Chrome)

Update 7/29, 6:30 PM : Problems with Freesync
After publishing the review of the GB3466WQSU-B1, a number of users reported because their screen is showing problems. As can be read in the comments below this article, those users experience that the screen flickers when Freesync is used at 144 Hz, about which complaints can also be read elsewhere on the internet.

Our current monitor testing procedure consists largely of synthetic test patterns and measurements. To our regret, we did not notice the problem during the GB3466WQSU-B1 test. Based on the feedback, we revisited the screen in a practical situation. It indeed appears that our sample also shows the problems mentioned. At 144 Hz with adaptive sync switched on, or at 144 Hz with the 'Direct Drive' setting switched on, a short white flicker is seen several times per minute. The effect occurs in conjunction with both the Nvidia video card and the AMD video card in our test system. When adaptive sync is turned off in the GB3466WQSU-B1 menu, there is no flickering, even at 144 Hz.

We naturally presented our new findings to Iiyama, but the manufacturer was not yet able to respond in the short term. In order to be able to identify problems with the use of adaptive sync more quickly in the future, we will update our test procedure.

For those wondering whether the problem also occurs on Iiyama's recently tested sister model, the GB3461WQSU-B1, we have good news. We also reviewed our sample of this screen and did not experience any flickering with either video cards in our test system when turning on Freesync. The setting 'Direct Drive Mode' also does not cause image errors on the GB3461WQSU-B1.

Update 11-8, 11:00 : Freesync problem fixed with firmware update
After our email, Iiyama went to work very energetically to find a fix for the problem. The manufacturer has also raised the bell at stores that sold the GB3466WQSU-B1 to stop sales, so that incorrect monitors were no longer supplied. A firmware update was already available a few days after our message. Last week we received a new sample containing the new firmware. Indeed, the flickering when using Freesync was now fixed in combination with the AMD RX480 in our test system, both at 144 Hz and at lower refresh rates within the panel 's Freesync range .

For the sake of completeness, we also tested the screen in combination with the Nvidia video card in our test system, a GTX 1070. The new sample did show flickering when G-sync was switched on, although this is a dark instead of a light 'blink' , which previously affected the monitor. However, the Iiyama GB3466WQSU-B1 is not officially G-sync Compatible certified and only has the AMD Freesync Premium Pro logo. If you want to be assured of a flawless display when using G-sync, it is always wise to consider a screen that does have that certification. It is also possible that G-sync will work well in combination with other video cards or driver versions.

Iiyama announces that it is currently working to provide all stocks of the GB3466WQSU-B1 with the new firmware. The updated screens will return to the stores from this week, so that monitors that you buy from then on will in principle be equipped with the new firmware. However, if you are concerned that your new screen has been updated, you can check whether the monitor has the new firmware by looking at the screen that is shown when you turn it on. In this post in the topic about the GB3466WQSU-B1 at our neighbors from Tweakers, you can see exactly what to look out for.

Have you previously bought a GB3466WQSU-B1 that still has the old firmware? Unfortunately, it is not possible for end users to update the firmware, because you need an extra piece of hardware. Iiyama promises that consumers who have a screen with the old firmware can get an on-site update free of charge through the service program.

Associate
Bought one yesterday on a whim, has the updated firmware thankfully and looks great in games however a weird issue I have is that text in Windows 10 looks abit fuzzy in 144hz, if I drop it to 60hz it disappears. This might just be because I’ve come from a 1440p premium VA panel to a budget one more than anything, I’m not sure. Anyone else noticed this?

So far no flickering but my temporary GPU doesn’t support freesync so probably not the best test.

Associate
I bought one of these monitors this week, came with new firmware installed but I'm still getting flickering at 144hz in every configuration (FreeSync/GSync on/off). Awaiting delivery of a new DP1.4 cable today to check that aspect before i get onto the Iiyama support line. Anyone else been having flickering issues post-new firmware? I'm not talking the odd bit of flickering here or there either, it's more like once every 2 seconds on the windows log-in page and every 10-20 seconds on the desktop, games, other apps. Absolutely fine at 100Hz. I'm running a GTX 1060 6GB. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers and GPU firmware update too.

Associate
I’ve just RMA’d mine after owning it a grand total of 8 hours. I either have a faulty unit or the image quality is just awful compared to a 5 year old 27” ASUS ROG Swift @ 1440p. Really fuzzy looking text when using 144hz and just not as sharp as it should be, brand new DP 1.4 cable as well. As soon as I plugged the ROG back the quality is night and day but I guess what’s what I get for purchasing a budget product?! Will look to get the ROG IPS ultra wide next year I guess.

Last edited:
Associate
Some people report flickering fix by installing update kb4577063. For me nothing changed, but I have flickering mostly only in loading screens...

Associate
If you read the professional review posted above,this monitor shouldn’t have any flickering with FREESYNC after new firmware.
But it still can have some flickering with GSYNC even with new firmware.
It’s not a gsync certified monitor.

Associate
The real question is, will it matter if you have a 3070/3080? Do you even need gsync?
That’s my question too,and from what I read,as long as GPU is powerful enough to maintain same frame rate as monitors refresh rate,gsync and freesync won’t be that important.
I know 3080 can do it,not sure about 3070 though.

Associate
That’s my question too,and from what I read,as long as GPU is powerful enough to maintain same frame rate as monitors refresh rate,gsync and freesync won’t be that important.
I know 3080 can do it,not sure about 3070 though.

I plan on getting the 3080, I wanted a 1440p ultra wide to prepare for it. I’m half tempted to just go for it. The good thing about the iiyama is that it has usb for firmware updates if they are able to resolve it completely.

Back
Top Bottom