• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What to expect from AMD on October 8th?

Associate
For me, 1080p -> 1440p was fairly "wow". But yes, sounds like you would have a few costs to upgrade, so have to decide if it's worth it, or whether it's possible to do it gradually.

Caporegime
I just want to play Flight Sim in 4K at 40-60fps. Currently on a 4690k / GTX970.

Accordingly I'm mainly waiting to see what happens with Zen 2 prices, as Zen 3 won't make any difference for my usage.

That said if not much happens with Zen 2 prices, I'll probably just go for the latest model assume the hike isn't much more than say 30 USD for the latest 8 core.

Soldato
I will raise you... Currently running a 4770K I got a month after it launched. Have a Reverb G2 on order and with that will finally be CPU limited. So looking forward to the upgrade.

I’ll see your 4770k and raise you a 3570k :)

I’ve got the mobo and ram and cheapo stop-gap R5 3600, just waiting now to see what Zen3 to put in there :)

Soldato
I have a 2600x and Vega64. I don't know which to upgrade, if any. Both CPU and GPU i've skipped a generation. 2600 > skip 3000 series > buy 5000 series? GPU wise, Vega 64 (GCN) > skip RDNA > RDNA 2? I don't know which is more important. If I were to do the GPU is it going to just be bottlenecked by the 2600x. What would you guys do first? Ta

I’ve decided to stick with my vega64 for the moment and upgrade the mobo/ram/cpu instead. My monitor is only 1440p 75hz so vega64 is ok for that at the moment. Going from a 3570k to an interim Ryzen 3600 whilst I wait for Zen3 has made a massive difference in frame-rate stability - FS2020 is double the framerate and everything else I throw at it now sits well above the 75hz refresh whereas before there’s be dips down to 60 or 50fps.

I think I’ll see how vega64 handles cyberpunk before considering RDNA2 or an Ampere card.

Associate
Oh boy oh boy oh boy! I'm very excited! I'm still using an i5 2500k I spent a chunk of my student loan on back in 2011. Building a whole new PC in November and making the jump to 1440p whilst I'm at it.

Soldato
hope not just bought the msi tomahawk X570 wifi board,
Haven’t opened it yet as waiting upon cpu and gpu to arrive before I build my rig.

I was hoping to see an X670 with more pcie lanes, more sata connections, having a spare pcie x16 rather than it stepping down to x8 where the main pcie slot is used. This would allow for more m.2 expansion, e.g 4 via a spare pcie slot with bifurcation support.

Caporegime
Tomorrow! Remind me what time, please - Was it 5pm UK time?
Yup.
How to watch the AMD Zen 3 launch live
AMD has a page dedicated to the event that you can see here. The company also usually streams these events on its YouTube channel, so you'll be able to watch it there if you prefer.

The AMD Zen 3 event is set to take place 17:00 UK time, 18:00 CET, 10:00 PT.

At the event, you can expect to find out more about the Zen 3 architecture and the improvements the company will be offering in terms of performance, power and more. It's thought that the upcoming Ryzen 5000 series of processors will be based on this architecture and laptop processors will follow suit sometime next year.
Please don't **** it up AMD!!

Soldato
I wonder how much zen 2 will drop?

Looking to upgrade to a Ryzen ITX build ASAP.
I suspect not much immediately as the new CPUs won’t be available for a little while due to release and supply. Then after Christmas period and some heavy discounting, I suspect things will look like below

3900x around £300-£320
3700x around £200-£220
3600x around £120-£150

the 3600 non x may well dip below £100 which makes it pretty awesome cheap CPU for cheap builds

Soldato
If rumor is true of actual launch being Oct 20, probably not yet.
Typically reviewers get new Cards/CPUs ~1 week to 3 days prior to launch, hence where they talk about the prelaunch CRUNCH to get the reviews done in time for the embargo lifting and the frustrations with last minute firmware/BIOS updates as it can change results and invalidate results with minimal time to resolve.

Soldato
I'm thinking same.
I have i7 2600k at 4.3ghz
Plus overclocked Vega 56.

I'm thinking of upgrade. However for me it looks like I would need to do the whole lot. Then I would need a better monitor as only have 22 1080p

So would just prob end up with same frames in games as I have now at 1080p but at 1440p widescreen.

Need to work out if there would be enough wow jumping a resolution or not?

I think a monitor upgrade would be worthwhile. Not wanting to spend your money or anything like that. :D But I love having the bigger screen and 1440p is a nice balance for gaming / working.

I’ve decided to stick with my vega64 for the moment and upgrade the mobo/ram/cpu instead. My monitor is only 1440p 75hz so vega64 is ok for that at the moment. Going from a 3570k to an interim Ryzen 3600 whilst I wait for Zen3 has made a massive difference in frame-rate stability - FS2020 is double the framerate and everything else I throw at it now sits well above the 75hz refresh whereas before there’s be dips down to 60 or 50fps.

I think I’ll see how vega64 handles cyberpunk before considering RDNA2 or an Ampere card.

Thanks - yeah I have a 28" 1440p monitor as well so I think similar, might stick and see how Vega64 handles Cyberpunk... but would be nice to get Ray Tracing as the screenshots look great from the game. But if GPU stock is going to perhaps go into the new year, then yeah... CPU would be the wiser choice to do first. Just need to see if the X470 chipset will get a BIOS update to support it.

Back
Top Bottom