Oh dear, locked out of boot

Transmission breaker
Don
Not if its like for like, im told. I'll cross that bridge when i get to it.

My understanding (from the e65) is that the system learns to change the charging profile with age on the battery, and will overcharge a new battery unless it is reset. (its called IBS, intelligent battery sensor)

Its the same on the e92, according to my google fu.

The type of battery is irrelevant i was told.

Associate
OP
My understanding (from the e65) is that the system learns to change the charging profile with age on the battery, and will overcharge a new battery unless it is reset. (its called IBS, intelligent battery sensor)

Its the same on the e92, according to my google fu.

The type of battery is irrelevant i was told.

Battery company said it doesn't but ill look into it. All sorted now, managed to pop the boot with the steps from Video.

Transmission breaker
Don
Battery company said it doesn't but ill look into it. All sorted now, managed to pop the boot with the steps from Video.

Good stuff, some good info here RE: IBS:
https://bimmerscan.com/bmw-intelligent-battery-sensor-ibs/

Here is why you have to do it!!:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=468750

Don't take the word of a random battery person, they won't know and just want to flog you a battery :D

I have owned an E92, also own an E65 currently, both with IBS. Yours is unlikely to explode, but it will not be good for the battery if it is not registered.

Caporegime
I don't understand this at all, how did cars manage up until the late 2000's?

Registering batteries? Intelligent battery sensors? What? Load of cobblers. Just making stuff more complicated, for what purpose? :p

Transmission breaker
Don
I don't understand this at all, how did cars manage up until the late 2000's?

Registering batteries? Intelligent battery sensors? What? Load of cobblers. Just making stuff more complicated, for what purpose? :p

I believe it is designed to keep the battery alive for a lot longer, as they cars demand a lot more from a battery now than they used to. Hence tailoring the charging to ensure the battery is not overcharged, and protected from hitting low voltages when its under heavy load, and damaging the cells.

Man of Honour
Reminds me of the time my Merc battery died, the manual lock barrel had seized up and I basically had to stick a screwdriver in to loosen it - needless to say I had some funny looks on the street. Next step was to break in through the windo

Caporegime
I believe it is designed to keep the battery alive for a lot longer, as they cars demand a lot more from a battery now than they used to. Hence tailoring the charging to ensure the battery is not overcharged, and protected from hitting low voltages when its under heavy load, and damaging the cells.

That makes sense I suppose but I'd be interested to see if batteries are actually lasting longer as a result of this tech.

There have been tonnes of cars with more electrical demand than something like an E92, which pre-dated this technology and didn't had any issues.

It just seems like added complication and another thing to go wrong to me. Having to code the car to recognise a new battery seems barmy, how many people aren't doing it and are risking their battery literally exploding as per the thread linked above, because they are simply unaware that it is a requirement?

I wonder if there is a way to remove the IBS and code it out.

Transmission breaker
Don
Its a module on the negative battery lead I think on most cars.
I suppose it can be coded out.

As with most of these things, its just a sign of the times, with more delicate electronics, and higher drains. BMW were likely anticipating this on later models also. I mean a car now has injectors, complex ECU, many different control modules, heated seats, stop start/hybrid charging, etc. Its not just spinning a starter motor occasionally, a fan for the interior and some lights any more :D

Caporegime
Its a module on the negative battery lead I think on most cars.
I suppose it can be coded out.

As with most of these things, its just a sign of the times, with more delicate electronics, and higher drains. BMW were likely anticipating this on later models also. I mean a car now has injectors, complex ECU, many different control modules, heated seats, stop start/hybrid charging, etc. Its not just spinning a starter motor occasionally, a fan for the interior and some lights any more :D

There was quite a bit of time in between the 1940's you are describing and the late 2000's though. Where this tech didn't exist! ;)

Take my 1998 Celsior for example. That thing had about 7 computer control units, and automatic electronic everything. Including an active air purifier and other stuff you might not even find in a new luxury car. :p

Associate
Oh wow, that video is great, thanks very much, easy to follow. Ive managed to get the plug out and i can see the wire i need. Now iam crap with electrics and its not 100% clear in the video. The guy says using a 12v source, so i can use the new car battery ive got? So i just need to send the positive from the battery to the wire in the plug and the negative just needs to be ground to the seat bolt bracket etc?
Yeah, just hook up a jump lead from your new battery to a small screwdriver or something metal that fits in the hole and tap it together. I would probably put the negative lead onto the car on a metal nut or something under the bonnet.

Associate
Not if its like for like, im told. I'll cross that bridge when i get to it.
I believe that it would only really need registering if it is a stop/start car with an AGM battery to ensure the best charging profile. Like for like should be a non issue either way.

Associate
OP
I believe that it would only really need registering if it is a stop/start car with an AGM battery to ensure the best charging profile. Like for like should be a non issue either way.

Yep thats what ive seen, and if its the same amps, etc, not a problem. Got a mate coming to code it anyways early next week just to make sure.

Associate
on the back of this, what are peoples thoughts on jump starting another car from the E9x series ?
i am aware of the IBS and sensitive electronics, if the IBS was disconnected to avoid it sensing sudden surge in demand would it still be possible or would the consensus be dont even try ?

Associate
I did the same thing with a BMW 1 series coupe, had disconnected the battery in the boot to remove the driver seat.Went to do something else inside the house and closed the boot lid.Reconnected the seat and then went to connect battery up only to realise my error :eek:
No keylock on the boot and no way to access through the interior.
Did a google and some guy in the US had done the same, connected a battery charger to the charging posts under the bonnet,pressed the remote and viola the boot opened wheeeew :D

Back
Top Bottom