• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
IMO buying a mobo now for the Zen3 is not the best idea.

1. Still no real idea of how they new cpus will perform.
2. What is a good board for current gen cpus, might not be for the new gen.
3. if only certain cpus are released on the 20th, you may not be able to get what you want.
4. who knows what the pricing is likely to be, amd might price them higher if they think they have the best.
5. who knows who and when (or even if) will release a bios update on their mobos for the new cpus.

Take a step back and wait to see what real world experiences with actual performance and temperatures are discovered ;)

Soldato
Looking at purchasing an x570 motherboard in preparation of the CPU release. Are there any must have features between the gigabyte auros x570 or the MSI Mag x570 Tomohawk that I keep seeing mentioned? Would there be any reason to go for a b550 board over the x570?

The MSI X570 tomahawk has some of the best VRM cooling on an X570 board period. It also repositions the pesky chipset fan so its not right underneath a longer graphics card in the same way as many of the boards are, helping reduce airflow choke (and thus reducing the need for the fan to actually spin up).
On top of that the chipset fan is also larger than the average board (from memory), so even if it does need to spin up, it can push equivalent airflow with lower RPM, again reducing potential chipset fan noise :)

Soldato
The MSI X570 tomahawk has some of the best VRM cooling on an X570 board period. It also repositions the pesky chipset fan so its not right underneath a longer graphics card in the same way as many of the boards are, helping reduce airflow choke (and thus reducing the need for the fan to actually spin up).
On top of that the chipset fan is also larger than the average board (from memory), so even if it does need to spin up, it can push equivalent airflow with lower RPM, again reducing potential chipset fan noise :)

Love my X570 Tomahawk, cracking board imo. What are we expecting the 5900X to be price-wise?

Soldato
IMO buying a mobo now for the Zen3 is not the best idea.

1. Still no real idea of how they new cpus will perform. - I dont think there is another generation of motherboard coming for AM4 socket regardless talk of X670 boards. the B550 will be the last B series board supporting AM4 and Zen3 will be the end of it and same thing for X570 i believe. so the best current boards will still be the best for Zen3 regardless what Zen3 can and cant do.

2. What is a good board for current gen cpus, might not be for the new gen. - as above

3. if only certain cpus are released on the 20th, you may not be able to get what you want. - doesnt affect your mobo buying choices, there is no shortage of motherboard. currently I am seeing lots of discounting on motherboards, with ASUS running £25 cashback and many retailers are already offering significant discount.

4. who knows what the pricing is likely to be, amd might price them higher if they think they have the best. - agree that the CPU price may not move much if AMD price them high knowing they will knock it out of the park compared to what intel has to offer currently. however again how does it affect mobo buying? are you saying if you bought a board now at a good price and because the CPU might be expensive so someone wont be slotting in the newest CPU into that new board? this situation maybe true, but there are backwards compatibility with AMD boards, so new boards can always take current CPUs...?

5. who knows who and when (or even if) will release a bios update on their mobos for the new cpus...some of the manufacturer has already updated the BIOS. i think the idea is that B550 and X570 will get updated first then eventually 4 series boards. so those people who are on 4 series and dont want to wait around would be jumping to 5 series i would imagine and take advantage of PCIe4 and cooler VRM or 2.5GBe and way more M.2 slots etc.

Associate
TBH I'm expecting £500. Will be tempted to move on my 3900X if the gains are worth it.

You think there will be a big performance difference? I was set on going for a threadripper build, but if this new series closes the gap a little I may drop down and save some £££.

Soldato
Love my X570 Tomahawk, cracking board imo. What are we expecting the 5900X to be price-wise?

Still deciding over this or the gigabyte x570 ultra

Just wanted to know about the chipset fan does it spin up much ? When doing something demanding ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
Still deciding over this or the gigabyte x570 ultra

Just wanted to know about the chipset fan does it spin up much ? When doing something depending ?

Thanks

Mine never comes on even under heavy gaming, it spins up at boot up and that's it. It occasionally would spin up but not that I ever noticed it when I had my old 750W PSU, since getting a corsair RM1000X (1000W) it never spins up even when I'm playing warzone for hours maxed out.

Soldato
Mine never comes on even under heavy gaming, it spins up at boot up and that's it. It occasionally would spin up but not that I ever noticed it when I had my old 750W PSU, since getting a corsair RM1000X (1000W) it never spins up even when I'm playing warzone for hours maxed out.

Thanks

Associate
Hi all - quick question - looking at going from my current i7 7700k to a 5900X.

If I buy an X570 motherboard and new CPU, how will I be able to upgrade the board firmware for it to accept the CPU if needed? I have no other AMD CPU I can use in interim.

Thanks for any thoughts :)

Soldato
Hi all - quick question - looking at going from my current i7 7700k to a 5900X.

If I buy an X570 motherboard and new CPU, how will I be able to upgrade the board firmware for it to accept the CPU if needed? I have no other AMD CPU I can use in interim.

Thanks for any thoughts :)

As mentioned further up in the thread, a lot of boards these days don't require a CPU to upgrade the BIOS.

Just ensure the mobo you buy has this function.

Soldato
I plumped for a Gigabyte X570 Ultra. Very similar to the Pro but I figured maybe I'll use the Bluetooth/Wifi stuff in the future, and more M.2 is probably not a bad thing either.

The MSI X570 tomahawk has Bluetooth and WiFi 6 and it's £60 cheaper and has one of the best VRM but 2 M.2 slots decisions decisions

Associate
As mentioned further up in the thread, a lot of boards these days don't require a CPU to upgrade the BIOS.

Just ensure the mobo you buy has this function.

Hi Kelt - just checked, it has - and ive seen a few youtube videos that go through the process.

Cheers!

Soldato
Just like to have the option to add more down the line , and probably gen 4 drives will drop in price wanna get away from mechanical drives

Yes I'm probably over thinking it I know I could get pcie adapter

Yes, but you also have to consider that by the time you come to add more it is probably going to be just as cheap to buy a bigger drive(s) and replace the smaller ones, sell of the old ones. I'm not saying do get lots of slots, but think over all of the options, like you said an adapter card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom