• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
So are these four holes in the M.2 bay for if you fit different sizes of cards? And the numbers the length of the cards? So 80mm, 60mm, 42mm and the other one are where your securing screw fits in accordance with length?

Yes, same as most M.2 slots.

Was also impressed to see them using liquid metal instead of the usual grey sludge.

Soldato
Its a relatively huge fan that draws air in from both sides. Unlike most that just draw from one side. All air is sucked in through the front of the console and expelled out the rear.
Ah I see, makes sense then :)

With it being liquid tm does that have a longer life so to speak or something?

Associate
For those who use liquid metal on their CPUs, how will this fare in the long run for the PS5?

Aren't you supposed to change the liquid metal every couple of years or so?

Soldato
Hilariously getting larger every time they show it off. This just confirms how much empty space there is in the case.

somewhat boggling that they decided it was easier to make a complex stand rather than just make the bottom flat.

Soldato
For those who use liquid metal on their CPUs, how will this fare in the long run for the PS5?

Aren't you supposed to change the liquid metal every couple of years or so?

I've seen year long tests that didn't show any notable results. I would imagine that Sony developed their own compound and have tested it thoroughly.

Caporegime
I've seen year long tests that didn't show any notable results. I would imagine that Sony developed their own compound and have tested it thoroughly.

He does mention that it is their own engineering. Not just using some off the shelf stuff.

EDIT: Well, maybe not.

"We have spent over two years preparing the adoption of this liquid metal cooling mechanism. Various conceivable tests have been conducted during this adoption process."

Last edited:
Associate

I would have thought so too, but didn't really hear any mention of it, to be fair, it does look like they've thought of almost everything, considering the small details like the screw holder in the base plate etc

Man of Honour
Just need DF to get their hands on it now. I'm not a fan of the look, but am glad both consoles have gone for a different look and can understand why people would think the same of the XSX. I like that the fan looks accessible to clean vs the XSX.

Last edited:
Soldato
There’s a small heat sink connected to the metal plate separate from the main heat sink. Any idea what that is cooling?

I was thinking ssd but the appears to be facing down on the other side of the board

Associate
Hilariously getting larger every time they show it off. This just confirms how much empty space there is in the case.

somewhat boggling that they decided it was easier to make a complex stand rather than just make the bottom flat.

Empty space.... that is taken up by the absolute beast of a heatsink that'll keep it from sounding like a jet engine.... OK.

Associate
First impressions:
  • It is GINORMOUS and ugly
  • The removable plates give me hope that we might see an all black version, though I'm wondering what their purpose is (are they metal and double as a heatsink/dissipator?)
  • The base is well-engineered and looks easy enough to manouvre between base and side
  • The fan is smaller in diameter than I expected, but looks extremely chunky, and will be interested to see if there's any whine
  • Heatsink is also beefy
  • The additional SSD port looks harder to reach than I expected (though still very easy for anyone that's ever taken the back off their PC)
  • I'm surprised the SSD is soldered to the mainboard (I assumed if it was a standard then it would be removable)
  • Is the front USB port not high speed as well? Seems odd that both the back and the USB-C port would be, but then they throw in a single standard USB port?
  • I don't know enough about liquid metal to comment - is that a big thing? Is it just a more efficient heat conductor? Any problem with leakage?
  • It is HUGE........or he is small?

Back
Top Bottom