• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I think AMD competing with the 3080 (Price aside) a month or two later isn't exactly stellar, performance parity at a later date doesn't get me excited
Oh come off it, it's 2 months and simply by virtue of the two companies are on different release schedules. What happens if the 3070 matches the 6700XT when it comes out the day after? Performance parity at a later date doesn't get you excited from what you said.

Now if AMD can't beat the 2080 Ti then you have reason to grumble because AMD can't even get performance parity with a 2-year old card.

Soldato
I still don't get the problem with Vega that people have. Here is a review of the card I have for example - https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/asus-rx-vega64-strix-oc,5520.html and it beats the 1080 in the benchmarks shown, and is sometimes within touching distance of the 1080ti but mostly it is 2nd place all the way at 1440p. I think it's a good 1440p card. And as documented, in balanced power mode (which is what I use) tomshardware record a power draw of 275w. Why people keep mentioning the bad power consumption of Vega yet the RTX 3080 averages 335w (some sites show higher figures again) - confuses me. It's like oh, we'll just ignore that...

We all now why things that were a meme back then and unacceptable, are all just fine now.

Soldato
I still don't get the problem with Vega that people have. Here is a review of the card I have for example - https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/asus-rx-vega64-strix-oc,5520.html and it beats the 1080 in the benchmarks shown, and is sometimes within touching distance of the 1080ti but mostly it is 2nd place all the way at 1440p. I think it's a good 1440p card. And as documented, in balanced power mode (which is what I use) tomshardware record a power draw of 275w. Why people keep mentioning the bad power consumption of Vega yet the RTX 3080 averages 335w (some sites show higher figures again) - confuses me. It's like oh, we'll just ignore that...

Because at that time Nvidia were concentrating on power/efficiency and proud of their laptop chips, Polaris was so far behind and wasn't good enough for mobile, where Vega was late to the party and customeaib's were reluctant to support Vega, Overall it was a Big die high end gpu with an expensive manufacturing process that could only compete with Nvida's Laptop Gpu =Gp104.
Power draw of Vega 64 can vary on many different situations, (surprisingly good/ terrible) but the biggest mistake people make is reading software derived power wattage readings and thinking that's how much the card is drawing.

Either way yep this time round nvidia are clearly pushing this Samsung process to the limit and the power draw in my opinion is terrible however the performance uplift is there, where as Vega didn't.
I do believe Amd will suprise people this time round.

Associate
I still don't get the problem with Vega that people have.

It was probably the "promise of Vega", despite it having HBM not really achieving much for gaming. They're not bad in itself, but they're also not competitive, can't really handle 4K, and are a bit expensive plus ended up being quite rare. When one of the reference Vega's broke, ended up getting a RMA but reference was no longer available, and had to get a Red Devil. Then had lots of fun getting a block for that (managed to get a prototype alphacool block).

Associate

Because power draw is ok when its an nvidia card!

The Vega cards really do not deserve the flack they get. The strix was a bit pish due to the heat pads (i had to RMA one) but other than that the other 64 and pulse 56 i had were brilliant cards! unfortunately the 56 didnt quite give me a seamless 1440p experience.

Permabanned
Got this from chiphell forums (polymorph)
Top Navi is expected at 340w, ahem..
I still need a good theory on how AMD plans to compete with the sheer number of CUDA cores in the absence of infinity cache or shared L1 cuz it's implementation is still a wild speculation

01ua11.png

This is really a good news.
Radeon RX 6900 XT topping the performance chart is exactly what everyone is waiting for and it justifies Nvidia's move to drop the Ti / TITAN branding for RTX 3000 series.

Caporegime
No, and I'd be happy with a 7970/680 situation again.
That said, there was a lot of pro AMD users whom seem disappointed with the 3080 performance and said it was overhyped etc. By the same token a GPU that only competes with the 3080 must therefore be a disappointment from those people.

From a showcase POV, I think AMD competing with the 3080 (Price aside) a month or two later isn't exactly stellar, performance parity at a later date doesn't get me excited. I'll certainly buy the AMD over the Nvidia, but it'd still make AMD second place in mind.

The performance of the 3080 is fine, the problem is Nvidia themselves said it was going to be much faster than it actually is.

Soldato
Either way yep this time round nvidia are clearly pushing this Samsung process to the limit and the power draw in my opinion is terrible however the performance uplift is there, where as Vega didn't.
I do believe Amd will suprise people this time round.

I do too. It can't really be any worse than Nvidia. :)

It was probably the "promise of Vega", despite it having HBM not really achieving much for gaming. They're not bad in itself, but they're also not competitive, can't really handle 4K, and are a bit expensive plus ended up being quite rare. When one of the reference Vega's broke, ended up getting a RMA but reference was no longer available, and had to get a Red Devil. Then had lots of fun getting a block for that (managed to get a prototype alphacool block).

Yeah possibly right, I wasn't around for the release build up and all that jazz (not like now). I only recently came back to PC gaming (last 2 years). So perhaps that is why people are so burned by Vega and why I don't quite understand it all.

Because power draw is ok when its an nvidia card!

The Vega cards really do not deserve the flack they get. The strix was a bit pish due to the heat pads (i had to RMA one) but other than that the other 64 and pulse 56 i had were brilliant cards! unfortunately the 56 didnt quite give me a seamless 1440p experience.

I don't think they do, yeah. Thankfully my Strix has been OK but I believe later revisions were better anyway - so I'm lucky in that regard.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

I agree. As a vega user I caught all the information where lots of users shared what settings to use and it really was flying out of the box for me. It had been around for about a year when I bought it but the negativity can be unfair but I do understand the marketing/hype would not have helped promising more than it gave.

That being said, even nvidia are under the spotlight with the latest claims and the 30 series being guilty of cherry picking slides and not quite the beast it was on a pedestal as. The major issue I have with it is the price, if you cant pick one up for the £650 there is a problem. You cannot champion it when you have to shell out over £700 and then wait months on top of that.

Soldato
I agree. As a vega user I caught all the information where lots of users shared what settings to use and it really was flying out of the box for me. It had been around for about a year when I bought it but the negativity can be unfair but I do understand the marketing/hype would not have helped promising more than it gave.

That being said, even nvidia are under the spotlight with the latest claims and the 30 series being guilty of cherry picking slides and not quite the beast it was on a pedestal as. The major issue I have with it is the price, if you cant pick one up for the £650 there is a problem. You cannot champion it when you have to shell out over £700 and then wait months on top of that.

Vega were good gpus. Much more fun to tinker with than Nvidia. I've had all 3 - 56, 64 air and 64 liquid.

The 56 was an especially good card all round.

The Vega cards were also compute deviants too. Great at mining as well.

Permabanned
Just had a thought about Nvidia moving the 3070 date
It well be that the new AMD card is between a 3080 and 3070. It'll look worse for AMD if they're behind the only new card, rather than in between two new cards...

Interesting point, may well be right there.

If there is only one card, so we can say "the new AMD card"...

Navi 22 with Navi 10 die's size + RDNA 2.0 IPC improvements - yes.
Navi 21 with double the Navi 10 size, 80 CUs + RDNA 2.0 IPC improvements - no.

Associate
This is really a good news.
Radeon RX 6900 XT topping the performance chart is exactly what everyone is waiting for and it justifies Nvidia's move to drop the Ti / TITAN branding for RTX 3000 series.

That chart is from someone speculating the performance, nothing more. For the most part chipell users are no different to posters on here, barring the occasional insider.

Permabanned
That chart is from someone speculating the performance, nothing more. For the most part chipell users are no different to posters on here, barring the occasional insider.

This "speculation" is absolutely logical and the estimation looks about correct.

If you expect Big Navi to fail just because, you have no reason or justification.

I want to hear from you why you think that "the hype train" will crash!

Associate
This "speculation" is absolutely logical and the estimation looks about correct.

If you expect Big Navi to fail just because, you have no reason or justification.

I want to hear from you why you think that "the hype train" will crash!

Big Navi's theoretical performance puts it right at the top, it all just depends on how well RDNA2 scales with more CUs and frequency, it's the first architecture that's meant to have no leftover GCN so it could therefore scale a lot better, it also depends on the actual real world perf/watt improvement, whether it's 50%, 60% plus like RedGamingTech has suggested, which I'd be inclined to agree since he's gotten the Infinity Cache correct, or whether it's lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom