**** The Official Google Pixel 4 Thread ****

Associate
I'd return it personally. 4a 5G is a decent step-up, and a pretty similar price if you factor in selling the free headphones.

Appreciate that, but I can't be arsed with the risk and faff of selling. I have no need for them either. Going to stick with the 4a for now; I'm a light user - lot of notification type apps but zero gaming so won't care about having the most grunt. The camera and stock android was the appeal.

My cars dash cam and app viewer just refuse to talk to each other.
The fonts in iOS are more polished throughout the system and apps.

is there anything else? those are 2 fair points if they matter to you. If those were the only 2 reasons to stay with ios, i'd be happily moving to cheaper more freedom android

Soldato
That's because the 4a's fingerprint reader only works via the relatively new biometrics API which banks like Santander and Starling have refused to support.

EDIT: No doubt the P5 will have the same problem.

Last edited:
Permanently? Or just are being a little slow to implement? I use Starling as well. (Just haven't go round to setting up the app.)
His reason doesn't explain why its happening on a pixel 2. I'm sure there's a recent fault with santander app and it'll soon be sorted. All my others are fine. I wouldn't use this as a reason against anything as it really is just a recent moment and it'll be gone before you know it

Associate
So I bought a Google Pixel 4a to try out. Coming from an iOS user of 10 years and an iPhone X... There's some things I really like and some things I really don't.

A couple of apps just don't work, Santander and the finger print reader. My cars dash cam and app viewer just refuse to talk to each other. I'm not the only one either - the Play store is littered with complaints. Both work fine in iOS.

The integration of my Gmail account and adding stuff automatically to my calendar is scary! I've tried to limit Google's history of my habits as much as possible. But I know there's a trade off between privacy and AI/Google Assistant.

The fonts in iOS are more polished throughout the system and apps.

In Android I love the fact you can give your Google pay cards a nickname. Something you can't do in iOS. Also, liking the fact I can put my app icons anywhere I want - specifically the bottom of the home screen!

My wife won't move from iOS. I don't know which device to sell, and which to keep. Apple are pricing me out of their ecosystem with their constant price rises.

Having done the same (Pixel 4), I'd agree with you totally regarding the last two points.

And like yourself, my wife won't move from Apple either.

It's hard - I like many things about the openness of Android but there will always be that pull of being all in on the Apple ecosystem. So much so that I might pick up a second hand 11 in the next couple of weeks once the new phones are announced.

Soldato
And like yourself, my wife won't move from Apple either.

My wife tried a Galaxy S8 back when they first came out. Didn't like it. Didn't know why. Apps just didn't work the same. When I tried to help, there were no real problems, but things were a little bit different. Back to iOS she went.

Associate
My wife tried a Galaxy S8 back when they first came out. Didn't like it. Didn't know why. Apps just didn't work the same. When I tried to help, there were no real problems, but things were a little bit different. Back to iOS she went.

I think my wife is just happy with iPhones. She's had them since the 3GS (I helped her buy it), knows how to use them and doesn't want to fraff around with learning a whole new OS.

Maybe I need to take a leaf out of her book.... lol

Soldato
Ordered a Pixel 4 last night.

Direct with EE, free handset, £24.80/month, 40GB data. Needed more data anyway, which would have taken my current £12/month SIM Only contract up to £16/month. So it's effectively £211.20 for the phone!

Little worried about the battery though. Will give it a good run this week and then decide whether it's good enough. The XL would have been another £115 over the term, which seemed like a bit too much for what it offers over the standard 4.

Soldato
Pixel 4 arrived today. First impressions are... interesting.

Overall it seems like a big improvement over the Mate 20 Pro, but with a few caveats. The screen isn't big enough. The screen-to-body ratio is crap. And 64GB isn't really enough storage (it's workable only by having the device back up photos and videos, and then delete them from the device regularly). But I knew these things when I bought it.

On the other hand, the build quality feels solid. The screen is a huge improvement (and no longer curved - yay!). And the speakers are much, much better (volume, in particular). Stock Android is a lot nicer to use than EMUI; cleaner, and without the bloat (and needless doubling up of apps).

I haven't used the camera much yet, and it'll be a day or two yet before I know whether battery life is good enough. But so far I'm mostly content. One annoying curve ball came up though; EE just launched 5G in my home town. I thought we'd be a long way down the list, not fairly close to the top. I may wind up returning this and getting a larger 5G phone instead.

Back
Top Bottom