• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI 2080ti Seahawk EK-X - MSI: "there's no warranty on components".

Soldato
Anyone have much they could offer for assistance on this one?

Have a 2080ti seahawk that's.... underperforming quite spectacularly. Currently scores about as well as a 1080ti in anything I care to throw at it.

The cards been GENUINELY looked after, it's had a good life, kept under 55c, had no functional issues with it and had an especially easy life the last year with only WoW classic (as such, left at stock).

I've recently gone through tuning my rig again so I've got a milestone for comparative performance VS other parts (with a 5xxxX and probably something big navi flavoured on the cards for later in the year).

It's only been at this point I've noticed a fairly severe loss in performance. No amount of tuning/tinkering seems to restore it, other 2080ti's on my rig perform as expected so... the issue seems to be following the card.

I've gone to MSI for a warranty and been told flatly that if I can't go via my retailer:

"
Ticket:
586701Card working but performance MUCH degraded. Issue follows card

Content:

Dear Sir/Madam,

There is no such thing as manufacturer warranty for components unfortunately.

Best Regards,
MSI Customer Service

Please do not change the subject if you reply directly, or you can login into https://register.msi.com/ to reply, Thank you.
"

(emphasis mine).

Does... this seem reasonable? It was an ebay purchase, bought as new. I have the full retail box, parts, papers, etc.

Anyone know a little more on where I stand?
Do we have any MSI reps on the forum?

Last edited:
Associate
You are not covered by their warranty it seems, you have to factor that into the purchase price when you buy stuff on auction sites

Having said all that there probably is a good reason why its not performing as expected I'd use afterburner to asses the clockspeeds of mem and core and then take the heatsink off to have a look what is going on. If the card is not fundamentally failing then I'd say there is a good chance it can be fixed

Soldato
OP
Aye, going that way too but.... product made by them and sold in EU. They don't get to wash hands? :)

I should at least get 24 months from manufacture date?

Last edited:
Soldato
Aye, going that way too but.... product made by them and sold in EU. They don't get to wash hands? :)

I should at least get 24 months from manufacture date?

You need to go back to the retailer/seller and get them to deal with it - warranty is with them.

Trust me on this one, used to work in computer retail (for my sins!).

Soldato
Yes, definately warranty via retailer, as someone else who used to work PC retail.
That is pretty awful of MSI however, Gigabyte at the least if you went directly to them would assist if they could based on manufacturer date, even if you didnt have proof of warranty. MSI make some great products, but some of the marketing and support stuff you hear off them are pretty poor.

Gigabyte at least have an RMA centre in Milton Keynes and when I went to them with a faulty GTX 980, they ended up replacing it with a 1070 for me, which is still running happily in my brother's rig. I would happily use Gigabyte for that reason alone, even if their support service can be hit and miss, but they do at least seem to want to help where they can.

Associate
You want to work out why that is happening anyway. Get afterburner installed, check voltage/power/GPU speed/Memory speed and what these things boost to when games are running, also check temps. You want to take a look at the fan curve and make sure it's set to be fairly aggressive, check the fan for dust or anything preventing it from spinning, make sure all the fans are working when its under full load. Odds are it's something you can fix.

Soldato
Are we sure the card is genuine? You see all these fake cards crop up on Wish where they are lower specced cards dressed up as high end cards and they can even spoof the hardware id.

Other than that yes its the ebay sellers issue. If they have a store outside of ebay you are more likely to get a result, if they don't then I don't think there's much you can do.

Last edited:
Soldato
Are we sure the card is genuine? You see all these fake cards crop up on Wish where they are lower specced cards dressed up as high end cards and they can even spoof the hardware id.

Other than that yes its the ebay sellers issue. If they have a store outside of ebay you are more likely to gwt a result, if they don't then I don't think there's much you can do.

This, did you buy from a reputable seller on eBay with good reviews? Are they EU based?

At this point, your only option is to request they deal with the warranty issues, if they don't respond/deny involvement, request refund via eBay and explain to them that in the advert there was a 2 year warranty which is not being honoured.

You'll either get your money back or the seller will deal with it (at a VERY slow pace most likely).

Back
Top Bottom