• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Caporegime
Just to be clear, does this mean there is a soldered (860GB) and another slot that works at the same speed for a second drive? So if you bought a 512gb compatible nvme drive it just adds a second disk/partition or somehow merges the 2 to give you a combined filesystem/disk?

Also if the top and bottom just clip off and are plastic can anyone just 3d print a replacement. I.e. in Black!

rp200

Associate
Just to be clear, does this mean there is a soldered (860GB) and another slot that works at the same speed for a second drive? So if you bought a 512gb compatible nvme drive it just adds a second disk/partition or somehow merges the 2 to give you a combined filesystem/disk?

Also if the top and bottom just clip off and are plastic can anyone just 3d print a replacement. I.e. in Black!

rp200

Mark Cerny covered it in the Dev press video... "We will be supporting certain M.2 SSDs. These are internal drives that you can get on the open market and install in a bay in the PlayStation 5. They connect through the custom I/O unit just like our SSD does, so they can take full advantage of the decompression, I/O coprocessors and all the other features."

Caporegime
  • Is the front USB port not high speed as well? Seems odd that both the back and the USB-C port would be, but then they throw in a single standard USB port?

You'll probably use the lower speed USB-A on the front to plug in your controller to charge up. The other three high speed ones would be for external drives or PSVR perhaps.

Soldato
That heatsink! fan looks super easy to not only clean but replace if needed.

Great to see the covers remove so easily, if Sony don't release items I'd imagine someone else will fairly quickly.

I think all in all it looks like a decent bit of kit and you can see where your money is going, happy with my pre order from a hardware point of view.

Soldato
Do you think there would be an issue with signal if the console was behind TV totally? As in with the controller, I know the Switch insists on being visible or my controllers do weird things.

Associate
You'll probably use the lower speed USB-A on the front to plug in your controller to charge up. The other three high speed ones would be for external drives or PSVR perhaps.
I thought the controllers were USB-C or did I imagine that? Maybe it's the XsX?

Back
Top Bottom