FTTP move from BT to TalkTalk

Soldato
OP
Spoke to BT retentions today and the best they could offer were the following packages:
900 £54.99
500 £49.99
150 £39.99

These are better offers than I've had previously but still underwhelming compared to what TalkTalk can offer which is a shame. Personally the 500 package seems to be the sweet spot with TalkTalk and assuming the speed/performance is good then I don't see any reason now to switch. Especially with a UK call centre for the FTTP offering.

My only question is whether they'll be any loss of service switching from BT to TalkTalk?

Associate
Unsure on the loss of service, presuming you need BT to go off one day and TalkTalk to come on the same day?

My Sky broadband was working on Friday and continues to work, not sure why they booked an engineer for this coming Monday :confused:. So far so good though, plugged the hub in and it just worked. One disappointment though, the hub doesn’t seem to do a guest network so I’ll have to get my own router.

Soldato
OP
Did you migrate from someone to Sky or new customer? I’m sure there must be a migration between providers, but tricky finding information. Will call TalkTalk tomorrow to find out

Maybe they assumed you’d not be able to set it up... saved the engineer a job on Monday...

Caporegime
I don't think there is a defined FTTP migration path yet unfortunately. In theory it should be as simple as changing mobile provider as there's nothing to be done physically - the first ISP to make switching provider part of their app that works by scanning the ONT barcode with their phone camera will rake it in.

Leased lines are the same - each time you change provider you end up with another Openreach NTE to add to the pile.

Permabanned
I went with Talktalk once and I would never go with them again. The problem is their CS is beyond dreadful. I was honestly scared to ring them because they made so many previous mistakes. They are fine as long as you never need CS but when you do need them you better hope and pray.

Soldato
OP
Speaking to them over the phone today wasn’t very confidence inspiring! They’re trying to run before they can walk as don’t have any online platform for managing your account, bills etc and have to phone up - I guess hence the UK call centre.

If I can push BT for the 500 package for £45 I might just stay. Although I’m fairly sure they won’t budge an inch!

Soldato
OP
They're doing 300 for £40 here: https://www.bt.com/campaign/full-fibre-240

You should be able to get that at least.

Good shout - will definitely try for that if 500 results in a dead end. The last time I was on the phone they only offered 150 for £40. They clearly do their pricing to push those considering 500 to just go for 900 as only £5 more... a mere £55 per month

Soldato
Good shout - will definitely try for that if 500 results in a dead end. The last time I was on the phone they only offered 150 for £40. They clearly do their pricing to push those considering 500 to just go for 900 as only £5 more... a mere £55 per month

It's not bad value if in a larger household but the speed is overkill most of the time, and for me I am OK on 150 at £30 right now. I'd like 300 when my contract ends maybe, good balance.

Soldato
OP
It's not bad value if in a larger household but the speed is overkill most of the time, and for me I am OK on 150 at £30 right now. I'd like 300 when my contract ends maybe, good balance.

In a large household it could be justified. Although I could probably justify it now as it’s cheaper than we currently pay and significantly quicker. Our internal wifi will max about 600 so would need wired to get the most out of it. I mean 150 is fine but more speed if available is always welcome! 300/500 is probably a good balance though

Caporegime
It depends what you do - I'll take whatever downstream service is required to get an upload that makes my job easier. My FTTC at the moment gets about 17Mbps up, if I were upgrading to FTTP I'd want more than 30Mbps upload.

Soldato
OP
Tried speaking with BT and mentioning the 300 / £39.99 deal above they wouldn’t match or acknowledge it. They could only do the 300 package for £47.99 or 500 for £49.99.

Leaves realistically only the following options with BT;
£39.99 for 150
£54.99 for 900

I’m just worried about TalkTalk not really been ready plus horror stories. Think they’ll get there but a few months away having a proper customer portal etc

Think we’ll switch to 900 package as realistically it’ll be about £5 difference compared to TalkTalk, as and when they offer it

Last edited:
Man of Honour
They're doing 300 for £40 here: https://www.bt.com/campaign/full-fibre-240

You should be able to get that at least.

This is all somewhat confusing.

I've ordered BT FTTP for my new house and the order is progressing, however it was at the full price. What is this offer and why is it hidden away on a link like that?

Secondly, BT were convinced there is no 500mb package. How have some of you guys managed to get a 500mb package?

Soldato
This is all somewhat confusing.

I've ordered BT FTTP for my new house and the order is progressing, however it was at the full price. What is this offer and why is it hidden away on a link like that?

Secondly, BT were convinced there is no 500mb package. How have some of you guys managed to get a 500mb package?

Found it on HUKD, guess it's part of a campaign that ran?

Man of Honour
I'm tempted to just cancel and re-order the product. But annoyingly 500mb just doesn't seem to be offered and BT claim it doesn't exist when you ring them :confused:

Soldato
I'm tempted to just cancel and re-order the product. But annoyingly 500mb just doesn't seem to be offered and BT claim it doesn't exist when you ring them :confused:

Are you sure your house can get it? For a while I could only get 150 or 300 until they upgraded my area somehow to allow the bigger packages.

I'm about 3 months away from being out of contract myself so interesting to see where the pricing goes, especially around Black Friday/end of November.

Soldato
OP
Thanks everyone for the help - decided on BT 900 package in the end for £55. Few factors; why not, working from home, cheaper than current deal plus keeps phone line should we require it (not that we probably will).

could have quite happily stuck with 150 package for £40 but for the sake of £15 may as well maximise the line. Will review again in 24 months...

Back
Top Bottom