When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
I don't want to put too much on a public forum, but we have people at all ranges of pay and younger people seem to think the world owes them something and 25k is the starting salary when leaving school with no experience in anything... :p I started on £2ish an hour, I'm only 23. They don't see that, they just see what they want to see, not helped by their friends on £9 an hour to fill a basket.

I've got quotes for the M3LR and P2 now, and I'm stuck!

Overall the M3LR is a better car (driving dynamics, charging network) but has a cheaper interior, god awful QC and is more expensive.

The P2 is very much still developing, all the press cars seem to have been fitted with the 5k performance upgrade which apparently is god awful, the car needs OTA updates to allow for all the added benefits such as smartphone unlocking and YouTube/Netflix etc which wins points with the press - I'm not so bothered! The charging network is less than ideal if you travel a lot, I do not and can stick a 32A Charger outside my parking space.

I'm very stuck and confused if I'm honest. Does anyone have a P2? I'm getting quotes of £420+VAT and around £500 for the M3LR, I'd rather save the money if I could as it's not like I have an allowance to use, whatever I don't spend goes in my pocket... The P2 includes all the servicing too, not that it should be too much in the 2 years I'll have it (I mean what? a cabin filter?)

People are stupid, I wouldn't worry about it. I get the same in my 4C but the roads are literally brimming with 100k+ Range Rovers and no one seems to notice.

Soldato
What's a heat pump?
they save, thought it was 2/3 of the energy the battery would otherwise have to supply in winter/cool conditions, for cabin heating. eg
https://www.electrive.com/2020/01/23/id-3-to-become-available-for-order-in-april/
The installation of a heat pump helps to save energy in winter conditions and thus indirectly gains range. The Volkswagen specification of 60 kilometres range gain refers to an outside temperature of +5 to -10 degrees Celsius. It is not clear how much customers have to pay for the heat pump in the freely configurable series models. Of the three equipment lines the heat pump is only on board with the maximum equipment for the First Edition presented by VW. And this costs directly 10,000 euros more than the basic equipment of the Edition, namely 50,000 instead of 40,000 euros (in addition there is also the middle equipment line for 46,000 euros). These are still upper price limits. The final prices are still out.
Some manufacturers wltp figures include figures that show the expected reduction in range in cool conditions, even more important in Norway sales, I'd imagine.

nam

nam

Soldato
apart from Tesla there are some great ev's expected very soon such as the ford mustang mach-e as well as the Skoda Enyaq and VW ID 4. If your not in a rush I would wait

Soldato
I've got quotes for the M3LR and P2 now, and I'm stuck!

Overall the M3LR is a better car (driving dynamics, charging network) but has a cheaper interior, god awful QC and is more expensive.

The P2 is very much still developing, all the press cars seem to have been fitted with the 5k performance upgrade which apparently is god awful, the car needs OTA updates to allow for all the added benefits such as smartphone unlocking and YouTube/Netflix etc which wins points with the press - I'm not so bothered! The charging network is less than ideal if you travel a lot, I do not and can stick a 32A Charger outside my parking space.

I'm very stuck and confused if I'm honest. Does anyone have a P2? I'm getting quotes of £420+VAT and around £500 for the M3LR, I'd rather save the money if I could as it's not like I have an allowance to use, whatever I don't spend goes in my pocket... The P2 includes all the servicing too, not that it should be too much in the 2 years I'll have it (I mean what? a cabin filter?)

If you don't need access to the supercharger network then get the Polestar. The interior looks way better than the Model 3 and the build quality will be leagues ahead - I ordered a Model Y earlier this year but some of the posts on TMC about build/paint quality put me off and I cancelled. I've got Tesla solar panels on my house so I've already experienced their after sales service :(

The roof of somebody's Model Y flew off while they were driving last week :eek:

Soldato
If you don't need access to the supercharger network then get the Polestar. The interior looks way better than the Model 3 and the build quality will be leagues ahead - I ordered a Model Y earlier this year but some of the posts on TMC about build/paint quality put me off and I cancelled. I've got Tesla solar panels on my house so I've already experienced their after sales service :(

This is kind of where I’m at. My colleague is going for an ECV (I think that’s what it is) but that’s far too expensive and big for my liking...

Associate

Hate to tell you, all the Polestar 2's got recalled for an issue where they would essentially "turn off" and lose all power, letting you coast to a stop.

Soldato
Hate to tell you, all the Polestar 2's got recalled for an issue where they would essentially "turn off" and lose all power, letting you coast to a stop.
From my perspective that was a good move.
Polestar identified the problem and reacted quickly to fix it. Which turns out to be a car software update.

What are Tesla doing to fix the poor build quality issues?

Caporegime
Considering a Mercedes EQC at the moment through work, anyone had one or driven one? I currently have a E200 AMG Line Premium Plus on contract hire, which is due to go back in December.

AMG Line
3+23
10K MPA
£555.79+VAT

P11d value of £67,715 and 50% VAT to pay for personal use, I make that £611 per month/£15,886 total - That's 23.5% which is actually decent

OR

AMG Line Premium
3+23
10K MPA
£665.72+VAT

P11d value of £72,360 and 50% VAT to pay for personal use, I make that £732 per month/£19,032 total - That's 26.5% which isn't so good...but some of those Premium features are decent - Smartphone integration, wireless charging, Better sound system, augmented sat-nav, Panoramic roof etc

Soldato
I thought you had a, handling, 5series(cyclist incident) I rather turned off Rory's eqc review when he talked about 2500KG and cornering capainability
https://youtu.be/AMSnmvQqwWk?t=384

polestar/model3 efficiency - another video
I thought P2 was more of a model Y competitor, cabin-size and hatch flexibility wize, thus invalidating the conclusion, but,
haven't seen anyone compare the Cd and frontal area of the two cars.
Drivetrain, efficiency and charging speed of a 18 month old Model 3 are better than a brand new Polestar 2 according to Bjorn Nyland

Caporegime
Well remembered, but that was 3 years ago (as of Oct 16th)

It's firmly fixed in my mind as I have to currently declare a £20,000 "at fault" accident on all my insurance quotes...and some companies like Admiral only ask of you have had an accident in the last 3 years.

But anyway, I sold my 5 series around Feb 2019 and have an E200 AMG Line Premium Plus on contract hire until this December.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure if this has been on here before
TM3 vs PS2

The TM3 does seem to come out well against the PS2. i still prefer the looks of the PS2 myself

I prefer the looks of the PS2 as well.
Also - that TM3 with Performance and Full Self Driving packs is £12k more than the PS2.

Love the auto breaking test, where he complains the PS2 doesn't come to full stop, when he has creep mode on :D

I'm not exactly objective as I have a Model 3 but I just think the PS2 looks old fashioned.

I think thats why I prefer it actually
Whilst I am not a fox and expect everything to look like a 5 series I guess my age has kicked in and I am normalised to accepting what a car should look like generally
Ive never actually been a fan of the M3 in pictures and on the road but i do get why some people really like it

I guess the PS2 being a spin off from Volvo will also lead it to being older looking, most volvos do in comparison to other ICE cars as well

There is plenty of space for these semi competitors. When the market gets more crowded they both are likely to come in for some real challenge
I would expect Audi and BMW for example to be far more of a challenge for Tesla than PS in general

Overall I expect the companies like PS to force tesla to become more of a car maker than a tech company and thats no bad thing. Tesla have already forced the car companies to be a bit more tech savvy, frankly they are all terrible in this regard historically

Soldato
haven't seen anyone compare the Cd and frontal area of the two cars.
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/big-electric-test-polestar-2-vs-tesla-model-3
so the P2 has 22% more Cd than M3, probably a bigger surface area too, so 22% more energy at speed - that's physics.

I can appreciate the 3's shape from that, engineering perspective, but the Merc CLA with lower Cd0.22 arguably more attractive, and traditional, than both.
(merc stole that old 5 series shark look too)
edit: to add - P2 has a robust Hummer look to me
edit2: mercedes does better on pedestrian safety too despite shape vs m3
50445902171_e3c80dcaa5_b_d.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom