Recommend a cheap wireless access point for my room?

Soldato
Hi all,

I've moved into a place where the virgin media hub is upstairs. I've run an ethernet cable down to my switch in my room, from which i connect my pc / tv. However, the wifi (for my phone) is really rubbish and often cuts out.

Can I simply connect a WAP to the switch in my room and get wifi from that? If so, is it fine to just get a super inexpensive one? (it's literally just for my phone).

Cheers!

Commissario
Any one should be fine, even an old router if you can turn off the DHCP server, a lot have an "access point" function, as long as you remember to connect to the LAN port on the router you're using:)

I'm currently using two old routers with DHCP turned off to extend the wifi network from my main router.

The only thing I would say is try to make sure you get an access point/router with a reasonably recent version of the wifi standard, I need to replace one of mine as it was a £20 Belkin job that I bought ~10 years ago and it's not up to the task with modern phones/tables (IIRC only one radio vs the 2-6 that are common now).

Soldato
OP
just as a little update: i connected an old talktalk adsl wireless router to my switch, followed a short online guide and it's all working great. Thanks for the suggestion as you saved me 30 odd quid :)

Back
Top Bottom