Monzo/Starling Banking/Revolut

Caporegime
So these fad banks that are trying to disrupt the banking market are doing the very opposite ?

The mind boggles, but then i am not 25 amd needy with the uncanny ability to be responsible for my own actions and actaully run budget without pots of whatever the fad is.

You still use a Nokia 3310 don't you?

Soldato
You still need the app to login, so all it does is provide a different visual experience.

The whole point of having an online banking IMO is to be able to log in independently of the app.

Last edited:

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
I had a quick look, don’t see any reason to use it. It’s good that they have for those that really want it.

TBH there is nothing that I can’t do in the app easily that warrants me needing to login on a desktop.

Soldato
This guy offers some interesting points.

I am a (small) investor in Monzo and agree with him. Monzo seems to be drifting rather than developing a sustainable business model. Charging £5 per month for a shiny card and features you can get for nothing with high street banks (interest, open banking, fee-free withdrawals) isn't going to drive profitability. Nobody except a few hardcore fans is interested in that sort of deal.

They seem to have a strange block on acting like a "normal" bank and doing what normal banks do to turn a profit, i.e. lending out deposits. If they want to survive, ultimately they are going to have to offer credit cards and loans and mortgages like normal banks do. I don't understand what they have against it. It's almost as if they think lending money would make them bad people, rather than providers of a service that most of us need at some point in our lives.

Soldato
I had a quick look, don’t see any reason to use it. It’s good that they have for those that really want it.

TBH there is nothing that I can’t do in the app easily that warrants me needing to login on a desktop.

Does seem a bit strange, i thought most people these days were doing more mobile banking. It's only the traditional banks where their mobile apps have typically sucked, with minimal functionality that made people use online banking. Not a Starling user, but at least with Monzo you can do everything in the app that you would do with online banking.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
It's only the traditional banks where their mobile apps have typically sucked, with minimal functionality that made people use online banking.

Agreed. Historically (when I had an HSBC account and still with Nationwide for mortgage/joint account) that's the only reason I used desktop because their mobile app either didn't have the option to do it, or it was too difficult to do in app.

Soldato
Had two transactions with Starling declined this afternoon even though I went into the app to authorise them. Stupid thing is I could still go ahead and pay via PayPal.

I’ve asked them why and also mentioned the problem with OcUK again.

Soldato
Anyone opened a business account with Starling? How long did they take to do the checks

Instant...you must be dodgy.

I gave up in the end with Starling. Everytime you gave them a piece of information they requested 24 hours later they would ask for something else. 5 days later went with Monzo for business bank account instead.

Back
Top Bottom