Mugabe dead

Man of Honour
I'm not sure if Rubber duck has misheard.

Somebody within a BBC report stated that if he had simply been a one-two term president of Zimbabwe, back in the early 80's then his legacy would be more like that of Nelson Mandela's.

Because he stayed in power and became a dictator, his legacy is rightly seen as a terrible despot.

Edit - And yes I am aware that many of the usual folks can't get passed the fact that Mandela was once considered a terrorist, before we go down that rabbit hole.

That was because he bombed train stations and shopping centres and tortured people to death to compel obedience in others. You know, terrorist stuff. Because he was a terrorist. Whitewashing that away because he's been politically beatified doesn't actually go back in time and make it not happen.

Caporegime
That was because he bombed train stations and shopping centres and tortured people to death to compel obedience in others. You know, terrorist stuff. Because he was a terrorist. Whitewashing that away because he's been politically beatified doesn't actually go back in time and make it not happen.

Mandela? Couldn't find any reference to him "torturing people to death"

Permabanned
Despite @Diddums taking my quote completely out of context my main point in the previous Mugabe thread was that 'history would be kinder to him'... This has actually come true now as even on BBC wireless earlier today they were starting to talk about how the good things he has done would be tainted.

Replying to my own post but I just read this article which does highlight my point about the narrative changing over time... Make of it what you will.

https://www.trinidadandtobagonews.com/blog/?p=11780

Caporegime
Replying to my own post but I just read this article which does highlight my point about the narrative changing over time... Make of it what you will.

https://www.trinidadandtobagonews.com/blog/?p=11780
Just shows how useful it is as a politician to have a scapegoat to blame for everything.

No matter how awful Mugabe was, it wasn't his fault. It was those horrible imperialist Europeans. They're to blame for everything! He was just making the best of a bad situation that the imperialists left him in.

So yeah let's build a statue of Mugabe at some airport and remember him as a hero who fought the true enemy - the damnable white man! We'll forget all the bad stuff he did.. I'm sure he has his reasons. It doesn't even matter. Just remember the real enemy is the white man - him evil and cause all the world's ills!

Back
Top Bottom