New Dell IPS S2721DGF 165hz gaming monitor

Associate
@Smiffy-UK None of those worked :(

Any chance of another? ;)

Hey sorry looks like they won't accept my university email anymore. But I'm at university tomorrow in about 9 hours so I'll ask one of the guys on the course if he can get one for me. I'll probably PM it to you though as you may not get it as this forum is public,

Also to all who ordered recently, I paid though PayPal had anyone else? Its been 5 days and its still pending via my bank, is that normal? Kinda wish I has just used my bank card now lol.

Associate
Hey sorry looks like they won't accept my university email anymore. But I'm at university tomorrow in about 9 hours so I'll ask one of the guys on the course if he can get one for me. I'll probably PM it to you though as you may not get it as this forum is public,

Also to all who ordered recently, I paid though PayPal had anyone else? Its been 5 days and its still pending via my bank, is that normal? Kinda wish I has just used my bank card now lol.

I bought an iMac the other day from Apple, using PayPal. They 'provisioned' the funds to make sure you can cover it, but without actually taking anything, and it showed as 'pending'. Stayed like this for a few weeks while Apple built it, It then went off pending a few hours before they shipped the machine, at which point the money had been taken properly.

So yeah, don't sweat it

Associate
I bought an iMac the other day from Apple, using PayPal. They 'provisioned' the funds to make sure you can cover it, but without actually taking anything, and it showed as 'pending'. Stayed like this for a few weeks while Apple built it, It then went off pending a few hours before they shipped the machine, at which point the money had been taken properly.

So yeah, don't sweat it

Well so.... Woke up this morning to see that PayPal has given me the £331.49 back. Its still saying in PayPal as authorised and nothing in recent activity,

However, the £331.49 is back in my account, as yesterday it was still pending to PayPal - dell corporation,

I'll have a guess its not coming for free so either I'll have to now re order it at £390 or attempt to "buy again" from my dell account at the £331.49, might give them a call this afternoon at my lunch break.

Associate
Well so.... Woke up this morning to see that PayPal has given me the £331.49 back. Its still saying in PayPal as authorised and nothing in recent activity,

However, the £331.49 is back in my account, as yesterday it was still pending to PayPal - dell corporation,

I'll have a guess its not coming for free so either I'll have to now re order it at £390 or attempt to "buy again" from my dell account at the £331.49, might give them a call this afternoon at my lunch break.

I really wouldn't worry - they probably provisioned it to see if there was money, saw there was, 'un-provisioned' it, and will take the money before they ship.

Unless you have an e-mail from Dell saying your order is cancelled, don't worry.

Associate
I was considering this monitor,but just like LG GN850 that it shares the same panel with,it has really poor contrast and extreme back light bleed.
I don't understand why there iss so much enthusiasm for these IPS monitor vs VA varients here, VA may have some other issues but imo nothing is worse that IPS glow and washed out blacks

Soldato
I was considering this monitor,but just like LG GN850 that it shares the same panel with,it has really poor contrast and extreme back light bleed.
I don't understand why there iss so much enthusiasm for these IPS monitor vs VA varients here, VA may have some other issues but imo nothing is worse that IPS glow and washed out blacks

Mines not anywhere as bad as that, not by a long shot... you can't tell theres any IPs glow in use.

Associate
Mines not anywhere as bad as that, not by a long shot... you can't tell theres any IPs glow in use.
did you also test it in a darker room? because some people just use them in very bright rooms and say there is no light bleed..

Last edited:
Soldato
did you also test it in a darker room? because some people just use them in very bright rooms and say there is no light bleed..

Yeh It's in my bedroom, my usage is for gaming and watching films whilst laying in bed lol! I probably shouldn't admit that :)

If I throw up a pitch black screen, I can see some glow, to be fair, but I don't notice it in normal operation.

I've just tried taking some pictures, in the dark messing with exposure and whatnot, but its basically impossible to get an accurate picture to what your eyes see, the screen either looks pitch black or has massive glow in my attepmts at taking a picture.

Last edited:
Associate
i am really tempted to buy it.. but not many reviews out there..
the only one that focuses on refresh rate and response times is https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/s2719dgf

I'm on dell 2515 at the moment but i really want 27" and high refresh...
i was set on lg 27gl850 but with this being cheaper I am really tempted...
there are many youtube reviews actually..also reviews for LG 27GN850 and GL850 all have same LG panel.

Associate
not many professional reviews for Dell...
I'm especially interested with response time over the whole range of refresh rate like hardware unbox does

Hi, I just received my monitor last week and I tested it in a dimly lit room and I'm wondering if the glow is within tolerance? I'm not sure how to embed an image so the link is here https://i.imgur.com/MyWDMq8.jpg

Also if anyone needs a 10% discount code I can provide one
Doesn't look amazing, but it's not horrific either. Test it out for a few days and see if you notice it. If you can be bothered to switch it and want to roll the dice. Go for it. Mine looks similar on camera, but irl it isn't that bad.

Associate
Doesn't look amazing, but it's not horrific either. Test it out for a few days and see if you notice it. If you can be bothered to switch it and want to roll the dice. Go for it. Mine looks similar on camera, but irl it isn't that bad.

This is my first IPS monitor (coming from a 9 year old cheap TN panel) so I don't really notice it but at the same time if others more knowledgeable say it's not great then I'd be willing to get it switched out. During games I don't notice it at all and normally I keep the light on in the room when I'm in it.

Associate
Hi, I just received my monitor last week and I tested it in a dimly lit room and I'm wondering if the glow is within tolerance? I'm not sure how to embed an image so the link is here https://i.imgur.com/MyWDMq8.jpg

Also if anyone needs a 10% discount code I can provide one
people here will say different things because some are very biased and want to defend IPS panels,but imo it's extreme and excessive.I personally wouldn't accept it.
if you go a few pages back,someone posted this picture,also in dim room and this one is what I call within specs and acceptable:

JnJHF6E.jpg

Soldato
people here will say different things because some are very biased and want to defend IPS panels,but imo it's extreme and excessive.I personally wouldn't accept it.
if you go a few pages back,someone posted this picture,also in dim room and this one is what I call within specs and acceptable:

JnJHF6E.jpg
It’s impossible to compare these photos of screen images for quality, as the brightness of the image is totally dependant on the in camera metering system. Any screen can be made to look good or bad depending on the image exposure settings.

Associate

Also woke up to a refund this morning (normal card payment). Ordered on the 1st, which was when the money was initially taken/reserved, but hopefully it just due to them not having shipped the item yet.

Associate

JnJHF6E.jpg
Thank you very much, I think I'll call Dell and see what can be done.

In terms of my own picture quality, I used both an iPhone 7 and an iPhone 11 pro and got similar results in the picture. iPhone 7 just took the photo as is whereas the 11 pro did nightmode which is like a 2 second shutter to get more light.

Back
Top Bottom