Which HDR TV shall I get?

Soldato
Can vouch for the OLED after spending a couple of days with my cx 65, can’t believe I didn’t get an oled sooner it’s unreal! Roll on the PS5 :D
Same here. Beautiful TV. And likewise cannot wait to see what a PS5 looks like on this. I pre-ordered Miles Morales and Demon's Souls. It's going to be a slow month!

Soldato
Same here. Beautiful TV. And likewise cannot wait to see what a PS5 looks like on this. I pre-ordered Miles Morales and Demon's Souls. It's going to be a slow month!

think I might pre order them too, also looking forward to playing last of us 2 and god of war as haven’t finished them yet.

I loaded up the one x yesterday and even that (forza and red dead 2) with the hdr and everything it looks unbelievable.

Soldato
think I might pre order them too, also looking forward to playing last of us 2 and god of war as haven’t finished them yet.

I loaded up the one x yesterday and even that (forza and red dead 2) with the hdr and everything it looks unbelievable.

Tested a few games to check out how the HDR looks and TLoU2, Spider-Man, H:ZD, Metro: Exodus, For Honor, AC: Origins and Odyssey all look amazing. Hell, even Ratchet and Clank looks amazing! If you have Disney+ go watch Avatar on that as the app supports Dolby Vision. Game changer!

Soldato
I got a C9 rather then a CX as the cost difference was over £700 and couldn't be justified after looking at the RTINGS.COM reviews and finding a great deal on a C9.

The 65" C9 is a amazing screen, I came from a Panasonic 50" VT20 in the living room but i had a 50" Sony 4k HDR screen in my games room and this blows that out of the water.

Soldato
Tested a few games to check out how the HDR looks and TLoU2, Spider-Man, H:ZD, Metro: Exodus, For Honor, AC: Origins and Odyssey all look amazing. Hell, even Ratchet and Clank looks amazing! If you have Disney+ go watch Avatar on that as the app supports Dolby Vision. Game changer!

my internet goes live on Thursday so that’s first thing I’ll be doing, is Dolby vision automatic or do I have to enable it in the settings somewhere ?

Soldato
Would Dolby vision be an important feature to you on say a 43" screen? From what I've read HDR on the smaller sizes isn't great anyway so I dont know if having Dolby vision would make any difference

Soldato
my internet goes live on Thursday so that’s first thing I’ll be doing, is Dolby vision automatic or do I have to enable it in the settings somewhere ?
Pretty sure it's picked up by the TV if the app and title supports it. Not all titles have it. I just googled a list of Disney+ titles that do.

Caporegime
Dolby vision is dependant on your source. So for instance Netflix has a few titles that are Dolby vision enabled and when I watch those my c9 oled automatically enables it on the TV set.

Soldato
I've read a few threads now and seen videos of lg oled stuttering on 30 fps games. It seems there still isn't a perfect tv although the issue is the 30fps games

There will never be a perfect TV, each year there will be new features, someone like the poster above telling us HDMI 2.1 is "downgraded" on a TV due to 40gb bandwidth etc. As long as people have voices, TV's models continue to be released year after year each with their own +/- it won't change.

Just find one you're happy with, start with a budget, if not look for the best of the current offerings (CX) but remind yourself this isn't the forever TV, in 5-10 years you'll get a new one with new features to replace what you have.

Soldato
There will never be a perfect TV, each year there will be new features, someone like the poster above telling us HDMI 2.1 is "downgraded" on a TV due to 40gb bandwidth etc. As long as people have voices, TV's models continue to be released year after year each with their own +/- it won't change.

Just find one you're happy with, start with a budget, if not look for the best of the current offerings (CX) but remind yourself this isn't the forever TV, in 5-10 years you'll get a new one with new features to replace what you have.

Good advice thanks. I often get analysis paralysis with these things.

Soldato
It appears the PS5 isn’t going to get near 120 fps at 4k, more likely 60fps standard and 30fps with Ray Tracing turn on.
Therefore spending more for a HDMI 2.1 TV is wasted money, as HDMI 2.0 is enough.

Soldato
My 55" Sony XH9005 arrived last night, as expected it's a massive improvement over the Sony 42" 1080p TV i've been using since 2013.

I'll be ready for my XBSX once Sony send out the HDMI 2.1 update.

Edit: The HDMI 2.1 4k@120hz/eARC update arrived yesterday, VRR/ALLM to be added in a future update.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom