What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Not really sure if this is in the right place, but my wife wants some rustic type shelves. Given the cost of them to buy, i dug out some 8x2 in the shed and set about sanding them up last night.

7oIyTko.png

Just need to get some wax/stain to finish them now. A decent little saving though given people want around £30 per shelf online!

But the main reason for posting was i found this. She's not decided yet if she wants floating or brackets, and i was a little worried about drilling for the floating shelves. Found this tip which seems fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4E7TqinZSk&ab_channel=RealAntiqueWood

My only question is do you really need a Forstner bit or would a normal wood bit do the job?

Caporegime
Re-caulked around the kitchen worktops.

Scotch masking tape was useless but managed a clean finish apart from behind the stove which was too tight get the masking tape. 1 hour to tape, caulk and clean everywhere else, 2 hours to do half a metre behind the stove and it's still not perfect :(

Soldato
Re-caulked around the kitchen worktops.

Scotch masking tape was useless but managed a clean finish apart from behind the stove which was too tight get the masking tape. 1 hour to tape, caulk and clean everywhere else, 2 hours to do half a metre behind the stove and it's still not perfect :(

Have you tried the cramer fuji kit? I found it very handy, the smallest tool allowed me to do around the back of my hob no problems too!

Caporegime
Nah I haven't, I've got another kit but it wouldn't fit behind the stove without it scraping most of it off so I used the end of a small pen and then a razor blade to tidy it up. It looks ok, far better than when the installers fitted the kitchen, but it's where it joins either side of the stove it's a slightly different depth. You have to look for it but it'll eat me up inside if it's not perfect :(

Soldato
Cut the grass, did weeding, took my large garden shears apart and put a wire brush over the blades to clean up staining and oiled them with vegetable oil, and took apart my squirrel feeder and washed it.

Caporegime
I've finally finished converting my garage. I've been off work for the last 10 weeks, and would have finished sooner but the door and window for my project were delayed, oh and we had a baby.

Went from this:
0H9hLSK.jpg

to this:
hMvuqGO.jpg

Caporegime
Not really sure if this is in the right place, but my wife wants some rustic type shelves. Given the cost of them to buy, i dug out some 8x2 in the shed and set about sanding them up last night.

My only question is do you really need a Forstner bit or would a normal wood bit do the job?
I'd be tempted to stick with the forstner. For a floating shelf you want the hole to be as accurate and clean as possible, and they're designed to make minimal damage on the way out, 'tear out'.

Soldato
I'd be tempted to stick with the forstner. For a floating shelf you want the hole to be as accurate and clean as possible, and they're designed to make minimal damage on the way out, 'tear out'.

Cheers

I think she's decided on brackets. I've bought a single set to mount as a dummy shelf and will then make the decision from there. Will get a Forstner bit though if we do go floating.

Soldato
I've finally finished converting my garage. I've been off work for the last 10 weeks, and would have finished sooner but the door and window for my project were delayed, oh and we had a baby.

Went from this:

to this:

What a transformation! A shame you had to use trim for the flooring on such a new room!

Soldato
Close to finishing my mancave. Moved the 3d printer to the desk and out the puzzle (yes that's right a puzzle:p) On the wall. Also glossed 3 doors, wish I'd discovered sponge rollers before:D.

y4mF-CQ0BCng_-5uZsvJlZ8BdaVR8C_6lzO5DGz6DEAe9Jg_3F8iF4liq-bsOK9KfCp4qAPNNK2USobjT4txn8L7gCj_9clxJptrcYfbhZUXwBUbcTWkvptIMiLCyVBeEXovM9MMPvb9P7crj4_1KYtG7hP_9rFEmzTBSRs_iBBzRe1KYYkBVeoCgxkhVYA9CV8kSpGW5bfi3RqFIZX5GwvPQ

Associate
Cheers

I think she's decided on brackets. I've bought a single set to mount as a dummy shelf and will then make the decision from there. Will get a Forstner bit though if we do go floating.

I did a floating beam/shelf and just used a standard brad point bit and it worked fine. I used a drill guide/doweling jig think to get a fairly straight hole, then widened it with a large bit (as that wouldn't fit through the jig). I used 3 of these fittings which are great as they allow for small adjustments if either the holes in the beam or in the wall are not perfectly straight.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00U8XES2A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The only picture showing the shelf I can find!

ACtC-3cz75Zs9PJ5WkDpq7x5cQwpgtfsDUAMS8x1UQ6u-1jRjMtsBbHvZoFvwkjbhWDEoibj34-eCnri2kLnlM4c-icLX0rwPaqzT3JJ-KiffC2BLNtAmS_5iLnZbejG-4iecmKHpdz76GnsiAtgfWOv_g_d_w=w588-h881-no

Dave

Soldato
We're having the spare room skimmed tomorrow so had to clear out and strip the remaining wallpaper from the walls.

It's so where my Mrs is currently working from

IMG-20201010-082223.jpg

Moved her desk / set up into the lounge, not ideal but only for a few days and she gets the benefit of a cracking view !

IMG-20201010-092356.jpg

I'd ready stripped two walls and the rest were a mess from when we had a rewire

IMG-20201010-103926.jpg

IMG-20201010-171927.jpg

Also took down the timber batten over the bay window

IMG-20201010-103906.jpg

Stripped

IMG-20201010-154124.jpg

Love these messages we keep finding round the house :D

IMG-20201010-154613.jpg

Plasterer is here tomorrow and Tuesday - hopefully it should be dried out for the weekend as we have visitors so everything (well the bed, dressing table and wardrobe minimum) will need moving back in. Then back out again when they've gone so I can paint and get a new carpet in ....

Soldato
We're having the spare room skimmed tomorrow so had to clear out and strip the remaining wallpaper from the walls.

It's so where my Mrs is currently working from

IMG-20201010-082223.jpg

Moved her desk / set up into the lounge, not ideal but only for a few days and she gets the benefit of a cracking view !

IMG-20201010-092356.jpg

I'd ready stripped two walls and the rest were a mess from when we had a rewire

IMG-20201010-103926.jpg

IMG-20201010-171927.jpg

Also took down the timber batten over the bay window

IMG-20201010-103906.jpg

Stripped

IMG-20201010-154124.jpg

Love these messages we keep finding round the house :D

IMG-20201010-154613.jpg

Plasterer is here tomorrow and Tuesday - hopefully it should be dried out for the weekend as we have visitors so everything (well the bed, dressing table and wardrobe minimum) will need moving back in. Then back out again when they've gone so I can paint and get a new carpet in ....
We did ours and had messages such as high dad, and someone's initials of KK, Batwoman?:D.

Soldato
Ha ha - we've found quite a few from decorators in the '70s and '80s leaving their names / company contact details :D

We've had quite a bit of building work too and my kids have left messages / drawings on the inside of new stud walls on the plasterboard :p

Soldato
Painted a fence between myself and my neighbours. Just got a small bit of it still to do but I think I'll need to do a second coat as some of the wood is showing through a bit. Then I'll have to do the other two fences to match when the weather's better. :o

Soldato
Painted a fence between myself and my neighbours. Just got a small bit of it still to do but I think I'll need to do a second coat as some of the wood is showing through a bit. Then I'll have to do the other two fences to match when the weather's better. :o
You've picked the wrong time of year for it:D. I did 1 of ours earlier this year, and found it the most boring tedious job I've ever done. I was tempted to spray but didn't want to upset the neighbours.

Soldato
You've picked the wrong time of year for it:D. I did 1 of ours earlier this year, and found it the most boring tedious job I've ever done. I was tempted to spray but didn't want to upset the neighbours.

Yeah, I took advantage of a decent day yesterday and I only managed to pick up silver copse paint since lockdown back in march! Today my back is aching a bit though. I think the secret is to just do a bit at a time so the boredom doesn't kick in! :D

Soldato
Yeah, I took advantage of a decent day yesterday and I only managed to pick up silver copse paint since lockdown back in march! Today my back is aching a bit though. I think the secret is to just do a bit at a time so the boredom doesn't kick in! :D

I painted two coats on my neighbors last year. It took about 22 hours in total over a few weekends. I did mine the previous year and that took even longer. I 100% should have used a sprayer but didn't wan to risk spraying parked cars etc.

Bluetooth earbuds with some music playing really helps!

Back
Top Bottom