Kitten$$$$

About 15 years ago my mum brought 2 kittens when we were kids. She paid £16.

Having a look now online and they are £350 for the cheap ones. £1500 for what I assume must be tricky performing, beer bringing, gold pooping ones.

What happened? Has inflation caused this must have a price change? £350 seems like a lot to me just to purchase one. Since when did they start matching the prices of dogs, or are dogs now £900 for the cheap ones.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
My friend bought a British Blue (Shorthair) kitten a couple of years ago for £550 and according to him it's honestly it's the best money he has ever spent in his life. It is true though, I've had a number of cats in my life and his one is the best ever... by a long shot.

The seller had about 6 kittens... so a nice little side business.

I advised my friend to get another and do the same... breed them to make extra ££... he declined, but when I get my own house I think I might do just that!

Soldato
Mine were about 50 each to adopt from a shelter, but I was happy to pay as it helps cover the costs of the treatments they'd had in the shelter and the extra helps keeps it open.
I would treat the £50 as a donation to the shelter, should be paying something anyway for what the shelter does, even if it was free, you should pay something, if you cant for monetary reasons, then you probably shouldn't have a pet (in the case of cats, a owner)

Soldato
Recently got a kitten but was from a private seller, cost £50 she is lovely

Of course some cats/kittens will cost hundreds of a specific breed etc but always been case

Man of Honour
Supply and demand - lockdown hasn't helped prices when everyone thought they might want a pet. I think we paid £600 or £700 for our ragdoll. Would happily do so again too.

Pet Northerner
Don
I would treat the £50 as a donation to the shelter, should be paying something anyway for what the shelter does, even if it was free, you should pay something, if you cant for monetary reasons, then you probably shouldn't have a pet (in the case of cats, a owner)

Yeah I pretty much see it that way too. My other half (when she was made redundant) volenteered and we've also donated food to the shelters too.

I wouldn't consider buying a cat privately, but that's my choice - I love my two moggies!

Don
Dog prices have gone through the roof too. Last year I was looking to buy a Shiba Inu and was looking at around £1500 to £2000. They are now £3000 to £4000.

Soldato
About 15 years ago my mum brought 2 kittens when we were kids. She paid £16.

Having a look now online and they are £350 for the cheap ones. £1500 for what I assume must be tricky performing, beer bringing, gold pooping ones.

What happened? Has inflation caused this must have a price change? £350 seems like a lot to me just to purchase one. Since when did they start matching the prices of dogs, or are dogs now £900 for the cheap ones.

Covid/lockdown/wfh surge.

We paid £950 for our puppy last year, now breeders are asking £2-3k for one. Absolutely ridiculous, and if anything will just promote breeding factories in order to make a quick buck.

Soldato
Pedigree cats are quite expensive. I'd love an F1/F2 Savanah cat but I'll never have pockets that deep.

We actually got two cats (1 and 2 years old) on the weekend for the price of £Free. Lovely little things

Dogs have gone up in price due to the virus, for sure. We're on a list for a cocker spaniel pup which we should hopefully be getting in January... £2500 they currently are. Few years ago they were in the hundreds.

Soldato
Isn't it free to adopt a kitten?

I paid £90 for mine from a rescue centre about 8 years ago. It was a compulsory donation but it covered vaccination, microchipping and neutering so it was probably cheaper than getting those done separately at the vets.

Dogs have gone up in price due to the virus, for sure. We're on a list for a cocker spaniel pup which we should hopefully be getting in January... £2500 they currently are. Few years ago they were in the hundreds.

Everyone thinks they are a breeder now and are trying to cash in for some quick money. I paid £400 for my Collie, now the prices are insane!

Soldato
Everyone thinks they are a breeder now and are trying to cash in for some quick money. I paid £400 for my Collie, now the prices are insane!

Yeah for sure. Such a horrible thing to put a dog through just to make a quick buck as well. We're getting a bitch but we'll be having her spayed as soon as her health allows it. No intention to do any breeding.

Back
Top Bottom