Baldur's Gate 3

Associate
well im enjoying it so far with some caveats. its soul is definitely more divinity than baldur's which is no bad thing but, as others have said, they should have just used the D&D world and started a new series.

The caveats being that i don't like the dice roll thing, that gets tired very quickly. The whole jump thing where you have to select it is just plain daft. Hopefully they will take both out by launch date or at least make the visible dice roll thing optional. Also the inventory system is a pain, how many windows do they want? Character window, equipment window and inventory window. overkill. There should just be one global gear window with character portraits, same for the vendors.

Man of Honour
One thing I do like about the inventory system, is being able to see all characters inventorys at the same time, instead of having to select each character in turn to see whats in their inventory

Associate
Do we know roughly how many hours of gameplay we'll get out of the first chapter (what is available currently)? On the fence with this one, really want to get stuck in to it but if there isn't enough available now i'll end up dropping it and struggling to motivate myself to play again.

Man of Honour
Do we know roughly how many hours of gameplay we'll get out of the first chapter (what is available currently)? On the fence with this one, really want to get stuck in to it but if there isn't enough available now i'll end up dropping it and struggling to motivate myself to play again.

Its apparently 25 hours worth

Soldato
Had a couple of hours on this today. It's ok but tbh nothing amazing had a few crashes and oddities whilst playing. I really do not like the turn based combat.

Soldato
Had a couple of hours on this today. It's ok but tbh nothing amazing had a few crashes and oddities whilst playing. I really do not like the turn based combat.

It takes time to get used too.

Dunno if you've played DOS2 but when I first started playing it I didn't like the way the game played and the turn based combat but once I had played a good few hours in the game it started to get addictive and turned out out be a brilliant rpg.

Soldato
It takes time to get used too.

Dunno if you've played DOS2 but when I first started playing it I didn't like the way the game played and the turn based combat but once I had played a good few hours in the game it started to get addictive and turned out out be a brilliant rpg.

Yeah hope so I’m going to keep playing so hopefully it will gel with me.

Soldato
Played a little more tonight, and actually have won a few dice rolls now...go me! Got a full party now and am getting used to combat with them. I had a great moment earlier where the enemy was on a ledge and instead of using my weapon I just pushed them off with great results.

To me, it does feel like DOS2 with DnD rules...but that is what I expected and so it does not bother me. It is different enough to not feel like DOS3 which is good. Honestly though I could have taken this game in this format or an isometric one, either made by Larian or Obsidian and I doubt I would disappointed. Both make great high fantasy RPGs which I love.

Associate
Caved and bought last night. Played a couple of hours, of which half an hour was just CharGen :p
Went for my usual D&D character in the end, trusty old Tiefling Warlock (Old one pact)

Vulkan API for whatever reason would display low res even when I changed settings to 4K so swapped to DX11. No major issues so far, bar the camera occasionally sinking below the ground and becoming unresponsive which you can fix by hitting Home to centre on your character. Load times aren't great even installed on a 970 Evo, not ideal for me being King of the Save Scummers
To add to save scumming, the dice rolls? What the hell is with this d20, is it weighted? I reloaded like 5 times to pass a roll of 6. SIX

Associate
Installed yesterday evening and played for about 2.5 hours so far.
I'm enjoying the game, but it definitely doesn't feel like I'm playing a Baldur's Gate game... more like Divinity 3 using a D&D ruleset.
Even the start of the game is practically the same formula as D:OS2... start off prisoner on a ship, the ship gets attacked and then you wake up on the shore with dangerous aberrations roaming the area, where you just happen to walk into one of the people you met on the ship.

Despite a few annoyances about the writing and the re-used assets, it's turned out to be a good game so far.

My dice rolls so far have been pretty good, I only failed on my first Arcana roll and have since succeeded on everything else.
I'd quite like them to remove the overhead indicator for the Passive Perception checks or allow us to toggle it off, even when you fail it makes it fairly obvious where the traps are.

Few bugs here and there (sent off a report).
  • I killed one creature and their character model went spiralling into the atmosphere - hope they didn't have a quest item I needed to loot.
  • I had a weird sound glitch where everything went entirely silent during a cutscene until a character started saying their lines.
  • The inventory keeps bugging out with items appearing on top of each other (e.g. dagger on top of bucket of fish) - it fixes when I sort the inventory but then happens again when I pick up a couple more items.
  • Managed to break the encumbrance tracking in less than two hours of playing... I was just shuffling stuff between characters and now my character has unlimited carrying capacity.
Did anyone else have their game go silent during this cutscene (in spoiler to protect those who aren't playing yet):
In the part where you're exploring the Jergal crypt behind that door where you meet Shadowheart, after killing the raised scribes. Did anyone else lose sound for a moment when they spoke to the guy who climbs out of the tomb?

Associate
Super disappointed this is just Divinity with changes, I loved Divinity but sounds like Baulders gate 3 would just bore me after playing that.
Oh well - Solasta, Crown of the Magistar has a demo out on steam... will be checking that out instead.

Associate
I'd quite like them to remove the overhead indicator for the Passive Perception checks or allow us to toggle it off, even when you fail it makes it fairly obvious where the traps are.

In the part where you're exploring the Jergal crypt behind that door where you meet Shadowheart, after killing the raised scribes. Did anyone else lose sound for a moment when they spoke to the guy who climbs out of the tomb?
Yeah that's kinda dumb. "You can tell there's something here, but also you can't"

And yes to the spoiler

Associate
Also I can kinda get the "it doesn't really feel like the BG I know" sentiment, but I absolutely CANNOT get the "therefore I cannot possibly enjoy it for what it is" logic

Associate
I'm sure it's just the starting area that is making it not feel like Baldur's Gate, once we see some clear landmarks and visit familiar locations it'll probably start to feel more like we're in a Baldur's Gate game.

Back
Top Bottom