The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Soldato
OP
I've only played Witcher 3 twice. Once at release, I completed it and was amazed, then again after all the DLC came out. I tried to complete everything I could and my savefile in the end was around 190-200 hours. It's the best game I've ever played. I never thought FF7 and Xenogears would be beat, but the Polish devs did it.

I've been itching to play it again but I'm gonna wait until the next-gen update.

lmao are you me? The only thing where I differ from your post is that for me TW3 surpassed not FF7 and Xenogears, but Fallout 2 and Deus Ex :p

Caporegime
Just finally got this the other day, only played a few hours though just did the griffin quest.

playing on my ancient 4670k@4ghz and 980ti actually runs fine only playing at 1080 though

CPU usage is only around 50/60% across the 4 cores and with vsync 60 on I've got a constant 60fps with only around 63% gpu usage and 64c

not using hairworks though and turned the grass density and foliage distance down though or whatever those options were.

Caporegime
I think I might give up on this after playing about 7 hours, not feeling the combat seems pretty boring as does the world really it just feels kinda dead.

cut scenes are great but meh

Associate
I am sure that this has been asked loads in a 460+ page thread.

Can you just dive in with Witcher 3 and ignore 1 & 2? Slowly working through backlog and The Witcher is on the bucket list, wondering whether to try the originals first or skip to 3?

Associate

Can you just dive in with Witcher 3 and ignore 1 & 2? Slowly working through backlog and The Witcher is on the bucket list, wondering whether to try the originals first or skip to 3?

Never played 1 or 2 (simply because I never knew about them). Loved 3. So yes.

Soldato
I think I might give up on this after playing about 7 hours, not feeling the combat seems pretty boring as does the world really it just feels kinda dead.

cut scenes are great but meh

Stick with it. I gave up several times after a couple of hours each time.
Eventually I persevered with it & what a game it ended up being. Finished it last weekend after 250+ hours.

I get what you mean about the combat, but it does get better as you progress & the storyline is amazing, few plot twists that you don't expect.
Just starting the Blood & Wine expansion now & can see me replaying it again just to take a different route through the game.

Certainly one of the best games I've played over the last 10 years.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
lmao are you me? The only thing where I differ from your post is that for me TW3 surpassed not FF7 and Xenogears, but Fallout 2 and Deus Ex :p
Did not quite manage surpassing FF7 or Deus Ex for me, but it is a very good game. Now Cyberpunk 2077, that I think will surpass them, potentially by a large margin too.

How does it compare to kingdom come deliverance? I will finally have the graphics power to play that now by the way as my 3080 arrives on Monday. That said it is not on the top of my play list, maybe sometime next year.

Soldato

You can but its best to play them in the correct order as you can import your Witcher 1 save game into Witcher 2 and then the choices you made in Witcher 1 impact game 2. Same for Witcher 2 you can import into Witcher 3. If you are never going to play 1 and 2 it doesn't matter.

Associate
You can but its best to play them in the correct order as you can import your Witcher 1 save game into Witcher 2 and then the choices you made in Witcher 1 impact game 2. Same for Witcher 2 you can import into Witcher 3. If you are never going to play 1 and 2 it doesn't matter.

True, but if you don't import a save into The Witcher 3, you still get dialog options to fully "decide" what might have happened ;)

Can't remember off the top of my head, but I don't think it affects the ending, just whether some characters, and therefore quests are available or not.

On my first playthrough I just randomly chose dialog as I didn't realise what it was about. For my second, I admit I used a guide so I could choose the most interesting sounding path.

I'm not knocking W1 or 2 by the way, I simply never played them. My stepson reckons W2 is the best of the bunch, so for sure the optimum way to experience the games would be to play them all! Just you don't have to to enjoy W3.

I've been wondering whether I should use the Cyberpunk delay to do another sneaky speed-run playthrough :D

Soldato
lol that 8K video knocks my gpu usage up to 85%...just for a freaking video >_<

I'm replaying through W3 at the moment, put a few graphical mods on and it's looking pretty sweet. Only my second full play through, going to do exactly what i did the first time though, 100% it. Just got to get past the boring bloody baron bit then it's smooth sailing on fun :D (So much running in to that damn town...)

Soldato
True, but if you don't import a save into The Witcher 3, you still get dialog options to fully "decide" what might have happened ;)

Can't remember off the top of my head, but I don't think it affects the ending, just whether some characters, and therefore quests are available or not.

On my first playthrough I just randomly chose dialog as I didn't realise what it was about. For my second, I admit I used a guide so I could choose the most interesting sounding path.

I'm not knocking W1 or 2 by the way, I simply never played them. My stepson reckons W2 is the best of the bunch, so for sure the optimum way to experience the games would be to play them all! Just you don't have to to enjoy W3.

I've been wondering whether I should use the Cyberpunk delay to do another sneaky speed-run playthrough :D
As I understand it those choices without a save file only cover half of the things a save games impacts. You can kill or spare certain main characters and that impact will only happen if you import a save game. Along with the items and small amount of money that transfer over.

Not going post them here due to spoilers. In the grand scheme of things it doesn’t matter if you are never going to play Witcher 1 or 2 or if you choose to play 3 first. its just if you play them out of order the story can be a little odd and disjointed as dead people come alive and alive people are suddenly dead.

As for which game is best the Witcher community seems to be very split. Personally I much prefer Witcher 1 over Witcher 2. But there are just as many people who say 2 is better.

Back
Top Bottom