Router advice - Sky Q Dsl change

Soldato
Recently changed from plusnet fibre which I've never had an issue with to Sky Q fibre at 70mb but I'm having a lot of issues especially gaming. Very laggy and frustrating. I've tried everything; forwarding ports, DMZ, ethernet then WiFi. Is it worth trying a new router, I have the latest Sky SR203. Is there a recommendation for a good DSL router or should I go down the route of getting a DrayTek Vigor 130 modem and router?

Thoughts on either a TP-Link Archer VR400 or Netgear D6400?

Last edited:
Soldato
Before blindly throwing money at new hardware, generally it’s a better idea to identify the issue. Is this a wired or wireless connection? Is it doing everything or just specific games? The reason I say it’s worth identifying the issue is that if for example it’s a routing issue, it doesn’t matter how much you spend on local hardware, that won’t resolve it, you just end up with a bigger hole in your bank account.

Sky use DHCP 60/61, you need a router that specifically supports this, modem wise an HG612/ECI is circa £10, you can use a Vigor 130 if you want.

Soldato
OP
Wired, my router is about 1ft from both PS4 and TV. I tried wireless but it severly impacted download/upload on the PS4. Wired I'm getting about 40 down. Getting either delay in game, audio stutters, overall lag. Never had these issues before which is frustrating. Even had Netflix buffer on my TV the other day, again never happened, especially since it's wired to the router also. All new ethernet cables aswell.

Soldato
Wired is preferable, WiFi at that range can potentially cause issues. If you’re still in the 10 day training window, hang fire, Sky will do very little till the line has had time to run through the DLM cycle. Once it’s done the 10 days, check if the buffering corresponds with an event in the router log.

Soldato
OP
Just received a TP-Link VR400 v1, already so much better. Extra 20mbps download on my PS4, and so far so good with no lagging or stutters.

Soldato
OP
Although, I've realised that Sky Talk has moved to VOIP, so this router doesn't have a phone socket for me to connect the phone to, so I'm at a bit of a loss. I suppose I have to buy a DSL to Ethernet adapter or will that not worth either?

Last edited:
Soldato
I think Sky do it in the same way as BT do with their digital voice product and you have to use the Sky supplied router to use the VoIP number.

You could buy some sort of ATA (Analogue Telephone Adapter) but without the SIP server, username & password you won't be able to configure it. I don't think it'll work.

Soldato
Sky VoIP does indeed use the hub, unless they are willing to provide connection details for 3rd party VoIP hardware set-up, you are going to struggle. From memory the hub doesn’t have a WAN input other than the RJ11 port, so you can’t just shove it on the existing network, that leaves porting out the number and paying £1-2 a month to run your own VoIP set-up, the advantage is your landline number will now work anywhere in the world and you have a number for life.

Soldato
OP
Hmm teaches me to always read the small print! Spoke to a Sky technician yesterday he said I could downgrade my internet for 2 weeks so it runs off the copper line then upgrade back to faster fibre and retain the phone line. Roughly 4 weeks to do so, not sure I can be bothered.

Soldato
That’s a short term solution and TBH you’d likely just be put on a FTTC profile on fibre, OR have just released another batch of ‘no sale’ areas for copper and the objective is to migrate pretty much everyone from copper over the coming years as OR move to (almost) full fibre. The bigger question is why are you so desperate to have a fixed line? It’s a historic service, we’ve had two decades of affordable mobile services, app based voice and video calling over WiFi/3G/4G/5G are a thing, WiFi calling is built into most mobiles/networks, femto-cell is a thing.

Soldato
OP
That’s a short term solution and TBH you’d likely just be put on a FTTC profile on fibre, OR have just released another batch of ‘no sale’ areas for copper and the objective is to migrate pretty much everyone from copper over the coming years as OR move to (almost) full fibre. The bigger question is why are you so desperate to have a fixed line? It’s a historic service, we’ve had two decades of affordable mobile services, app based voice and video calling over WiFi/3G/4G/5G are a thing, WiFi calling is built into most mobiles/networks, femto-cell is a thing.

The biggest reason is that we live in a flat and the buzzer to call our property for deliveries is linked to the phone line so at the moment when they call our property we don't know, otherwise we'd be fine.

Soldato
The biggest reason is that we live in a flat and the buzzer to call our property for deliveries is linked to the phone line so at the moment when they call our property we don't know, otherwise we'd be fine.

Interesting. The intercom can’t legally use the phone pair coming into the property, it belongs to OR, so it can only interface at the master socket by its own cable unless the ‘master socket’ is in effect a central coms cabinet and the intercom system then piggybacks onto the feed. In theory you’re probably lacking power on the pair now as it’ll have presumably been pulled.

Back
Top Bottom