Car stolen overnight.

Man of Honour
That is some tough viewing.

Hope everything gets sorted quickly and it doesn't cost too much distress. Thieving scumbags, makes me feel sick how easily they did it and it's not even my stuff. :mad:

Seriously, hope everything gets sorted for you ASAP.

Yeah :( I hope they get what is coming to them.

Man of Honour
I just find it a bit unusual to see what is so deliberate and practised effort to steal it - though looking at the lists seems stuff like the X6 and 3 series in general is quite high up there on the list of vehicles stolen to order - I'm surprised.

They've obviously done it before from all the measures they take such as sticking the seatbelt in.

So if you don't expect high performance cars with 360bhp to be stolen to order what do you expect? Mondeos?

Man of Honour
So if you don't expect high performance cars with 360bhp to be stolen to order what do you expect? Mondeos?

I just expected that level of organisation to be employed in the theft of exotics, etc. this definitely wasn't opportunist or your average criminal types that have stolen the odd car before or even semi-organised crime. There was an almost military like training in their actions.

Caporegime
I just expected that level of organisation to be employed in the theft of exotics, etc. this definitely wasn't opportunist or your average criminal types that have stolen the odd car before or even semi-organised crime. There was an almost military like training in their actions.
If it's anything like the Golf R esque thefts then a lot of the time they are stolen to be used in further crime in the future, as they are very VERY easy to drive quickly in most conditions. Exotica stands out more, and is harder to drive, and is nowhere near as practical.

Soldato

I think this level of organisation is pretty routine for most car theft these days. Because it's so easy to do it to anything keyless in particular, it can be 'planned' much more easily, I don't think much theft (proportionally) is opportunist anymore, though that does spike a bit in winter with people leaving cars running on driveways.

It's a fairly basic operation all told - one guy on lookout (and in this case, with fake plates ready by the look of it), one guy with a repeater by the door, one guy with a receiver who gets the car going - once you're in and started, everyone else can jump in and you quietly drive away. It's rare for it to take more than a few minutes.

Soldato
So casual, they just don't care at all. Even if you saw them do it, what could you do, phone the police who might turn up long after they've gone, confront them and risk some serious violence...
Glad I didn't spec keyless on our new car.

Man of Honour
I think this level of organisation is pretty routine for most car theft these days. Because it's so easy to do it to anything keyless in particular, it can be 'planned' much more easily, I don't think much theft (proportionally) is opportunist anymore, though that does spike a bit in winter with people leaving cars running on driveways.

The keyless entry/start stuff has made for some pretty quick thefts - but even the "gone in 50 seconds" type videos of thefts they don't usually have the level of deliberateness employed here with forethought and positioning, etc. usually far more hurried and mistake prone even if it is only little mistakes.

Which is why I'm a bit surprised but if like paradigm says the intention is to use it in further crime it makes more sense.

Associate
Jeez man thats awful. What a horrible thing for these people to do. I think it is definitely best to have a steering lock these days as well.

Caporegime
So casual, they just don't care at all. Even if you saw them do it, what could you do, phone the police who might turn up long after they've gone, confront them and risk some serious violence...
Glad I didn't spec keyless on our new car.
No you just risk them breaking in to find the keys instead...

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I know i'd find that footage rather harrowing should that be my car/driveway. At least it is just the car and they didn't disturb you/family :) (and i hope that you had it insured properly!).

Soldato
Thieving scumbags, makes me feel sick how easily they did it and it's not even my stuff. :mad:

Yeah my thoughts exactly. So brazen about it all.

I know there's the inconvenience of now having to deal with it all, but look on the bright side that it's gone without any danger/distress to your family. If they really badly wanted it, it could have gone a completely different way.

Associate
Horrible to watch, I hope the insurance company are good with you. I am surprised they could grab the code from the house as I was told that new BMW keys shut down after a short while without movement? Does the X3 M40i key not do this? Unless they grabbed it in an earlier reccy run maybe but then why the guy near the house. I use a pouch in a metal box just to be safe.

Caporegime
It just goes to show how easy it is to steal cars today. Having some form of deterrence would help. Like a bollard/gate/steering lock would help. Surely in this day and age there must be some sort of sensors available that can trigger an alarm on property?

If something like that happened to me I would be paranoid beyond belief afterwards.

Man of Honour
Horrible to watch, I hope the insurance company are good with you. I am surprised they could grab the code from the house as I was told that new BMW keys shut down after a short while without movement? Does the X3 M40i key not do this? Unless they grabbed it in an earlier reccy run maybe but then why the guy near the house. I use a pouch in a metal box just to be safe.

Guy near the house runs interference if anyone does notice - holds/blocks the door from the outside until they are ready to escape, etc. type stuff or worse if they are inclined towards violence.

Back
Top Bottom