Sporting events that you are still upset by in terms of the result

Permabanned
Hi

Sorry for the long title but am after a nice discussion thread on historic sporting events where the outcome has upset you so much that you still remember it to this day... Preferably so much so that it would be painful to go back and watch, even if available on Youtube etc. The longer ago, the better.

Will make a start:

1994 World Snooker Championship - Jimmy White had the deciding frame at his mercy vs king of the crucible Stephen Hendry... After so many lost finals where he got badly outplayed this was his one chance where he had both hands on the trophy. With the score at 17 frames all and the frame there for the taking he missed a routine black (by a long way), and of course Hendry cleared up and won. Gutted.

Caporegime
Arsenal beating Liverpool 2-0 to win the league in 89, I was 9 and I cried. Don't remember much about our success before that so this is my first real memory of Liverpool battling for the title.

As far as individuals go, I thought about White before clicking on the thread as well Damon Hill losing the win on the last lap at the 97 Hungary GP.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
1986, Adelaide, Mansell and that tyre blowout.

2007, Challenge Cup final and a combination of **** refereeing and St Helens cheating against Catalans Dragons. Les Dracs got screwed :(

Soldato
Hamilton China 2007, if mclaren had just brought him in one lap earlier could have sealed the title pretty much that day.

1994 adelaide above.

2019 Cl final, take away that penalty in first couple of minutes and game could have been very different.

Caporegime
Spurs beating us in the 91 cup semi final. Cried like a baby.

Annie Power going over at the last when winning by a mile at Cheltenham in 2015. Cost me £800!

And another vote for the 94 crucible final. Absolute heartbreak. I think even Hendry felt bad about that one.

Soldato
Seeing Gazza get away with his assault on Gary Charles and therefore Clough not getting his best chance of winning the FA Cup.

Soldato
England equalising against Scotland in the last minute 2018 World Cup qualifier at Hampden.

All Armstrong had to do was boot the ball out of the park. :(

Soldato
I can't think of anything serious so I'll say Sabine Lisicki losing the Wimbledon final to Bartoli.

Also Mark Selby winning 3 snooker world championships is hugely distressing. :p

Soldato
1982 World Cup Final between Italy and Germany. I really wished it had been Brazil v France as they were both sublime teams, and arguably the best two teams not to have won a world cup, let alone grace a final!

Soldato
Feder losing to Nadal in that Wimbledon epic.

Arsenal vs Barca CL final (more so for the ref not just giving the goal rather than red card/penalty which contributed to the result).

Back
Top Bottom