• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
+1
Too many jokers try to put down AMD every chance they get and then cry about sky high gpu prices not realizing that competition is always needed to keep pricing in check. Does anyone seriously think we would had 16T processors for less than £600 anytime soon if AMD hadn't managed to create Ryzen? Intel were milking the 4C processors for a decade before that.

100% agree!! Nvidia would be asking for £1500 for the 3080 if AMD were not about to drop a bomb.

Permabanned
If you were actually interested in an AMD GPU you would have waited to see what they offered before trying to purchase a 3080, but you didn't (My orginal point). Also lets be real here, at what price? I'm assuming you would expect them be faster than a 3080 for the same price as a 3080, which lets be honest is an unreasonable requirement. Enjoy your 3080 when you get and don't worry about what AMD has to offer.

I'm sitting here with a 1080Ti FTW3 and a 1440p panel. I have no need to upgrade for raster performance, hence it's just RT that I'm now looking to add. Everything we have seen so far from AMD points to 1/2 or 1/4 res RT, hence my 3080 order. I've still got a HIS 7950 and a 290 on the shelf, though they sit beside a 980Ti. I'd also be considering Intel if they had some RT offering.

Soldato
To be fair this nag has been flogged to death, its not as bad as your making out and AMD are keen to learn from it is the take away.
I mean I'm fine with people continuing to spread this kinda rubbish means the AMD card I want is delivered before my 3080 I bought and paid for in full nearly a month ago x

I'm speaking as a current owner of a Radeon VII, past owner of a Vega64 and before that, a RX480.

Vega drivers marked a downward path in terms of driver quality. When the Radeon VII was released, I thought since it was based on an 'old' vega architecture, the bugs would be ironed out. Turns out I was wrong, the 2020 adrenaline drivers broke hardware acceleration for me, which caused a few weeks of annoying troubleshooting, uninstalling, reinstalling drivers, and finally disabling hardware acceleration until AMDMatt (a AMD representative on these forums) fixed it for me, after I sent him memory dump files from my crashes.

If big navi drivers are mature and stable, I'll be cancelling my 3090 order. I'm currently 158 in the queue for a 3090 Strix OC, so AMD have some time to convince me!

Associate
Biggest concern with big Navi are drivers. If anything like small navi (RX5700) I'd not touch it with a bargepole. AMD took over 6 months to resolve black screen, downclocking, hardware acceleration bugs. Driver stability is the most important factor, I hope the reviewers give these cards a thorough test (full day of productivity and mixed gaming) rather than just a quick few benches and forget.
Where as my experience, and the experience of the majority of 5700XT users has been the opposite.

i've built half a dozen 5700XT machines for friends/family/sale and none have experienced black screens.

Soldato
Where as my experience, and the experience of the majority of 5700XT users has been the opposite.

i've built half a dozen 5700XT machines for friends/family/sale and none have experienced black screens.

If I spent 5 minutes of my time, I could google up multiple respectable hardware review sites, where the vast driver problems from the 5700XT series are well documented. Go ahead and google "rx5700 black screen" or "rx5700 driver issues". There are literally thousands of results.....

I also frequent r/Amd/ - there were threads here with thousands upon thousands of posts of angry owners having issues.

Perhaps you're aware of adoredTV's channel on youtube? A self confessed AMD fan channel - even Jim ripped AMD a new one on the terrible state of RX5700 drivers a few months ago.

Associate
I wonder whether AMD doesn't compete at high end because they don't want to cannibalize console sales.

Most likely cost. Would cost a hell of a lot in R&D to get a card that beats everything nvidia have to offer and would only sell a few those cards would only be for a niche market of people with more money than sense/must have the best.

Permabanned
Most likely cost. Would cost a hell of a lot in R&D to get a card that beats everything nvidia have to offer and would only sell a few those cards would only be for a niche market of people with more money than sense/must have the best.

I will never buy RX 5700 XT because it's slow for its price.

If AMD releases a card faster than RTX 3090, I will buy it. Perhaps.

Soldato
I'm sitting here with a 1080Ti FTW3 and a 1440p panel. I have no need to upgrade for raster performance, hence it's just RT that I'm now looking to add. Everything we have seen so far from AMD points to 1/2 or 1/4 res RT, hence my 3080 order. I've still got a HIS 7950 and a 290 on the shelf, though they sit beside a 980Ti. I'd also be considering Intel if they had some RT offering.
You are the first person, i've heard that wants to upgrade for RT. I wouldn't do it but fair enough.
You are a minority though and if i was in charge of AMDs marketing you would be a write off. I wouldn't change my strategy for someone of your use case, even if AMD wiped the floor with Nvidias in RT.

Also how often do you plan on playing control that your purchasing decision hinges on this one game:confused:. Do you plan on speed running it or something :p.

Associate
Exactly, just like how they started the CPUs with the 5900x and not the 5950x, they won't have shown the top RX6000 series and instead shown maybe the 5800 or 5800XT etc.

Yeah, I thought this was masterfully done. They barely needed to cover the top chip because it was "oh There's also this big daddy, which is even better than the 2nd tier chip we just showed you smoking everything Intel has to offer, now lets preview our GPU"

AMD has swagger right now and I love it. Even tho I have a RTX on order, I am excited by a potential shakeup.

Man of Honour
cant imagine they giving out the best benches for sneak peek, more to come i sure

This was a loud and proud AMD there is no way they'd have held fire if they were demolishing the 3080 even if it was only a teaser without showing the full hand.

It is pretty much a given nVidia has a good idea what they are bringing as well and responded to it - companies like nVidia tend to put a lot of effort into keeping tabs on the competitor's products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom