• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen3 event thread

Permabanned
I’m honestly so disappointed, the performance means nothing if you don’t price it right. I’m becoming so fed up with the constant money grabbing you get with pc gaming.

£300 is big chunk of a ps5 and 8 core is a ps5. Pc gaming has lost it.

Soldato
Not a chance! That would be $220 more than what I paid and I have no use for that many threads.

I only upgrade when i can get a better part (in this case an 8c16t cpu) for roughly what I paid.

I'm not one for chasing the extra performance if the cost is also more for the part its supposedly replacing.

I get no pleasure from spending money even if it is for something I'd like, so spending more is not an option.
Why not stick with the zen2 part then? The performance gain clearly doesn’t scale with the cost increase?!

Soldato
Looking solid overall but bit disappointing about being on same 7nm process and not an improved variant and I/O die unchanged, maybe a refresh next year.

Soldato
I’m honestly so disappointed, the performance means nothing if you don’t price it right. I’m becoming so fed up with the constant money grabbing you get with pc gaming.

£300 is big chunk of a ps5 and 8 core is a ps5. Pc gaming has lost it.

It was perfectly fine when Intel were charging £500 for an 8 core cpu though wasn't it. AMD try to make a good profit and they're greeedy :rolleyes:

Associate
Prices look fine to me, about where you would expect them to be.

A 5800X or above will be a great drop in upgrade next year when prices start to settle.

Looking forward to seeing if these CPUs and the upcoming "big Navi" do well with reviewers.

Associate
Very clever launch by AMD. Had they released a 5700x at the same time they know this would have been the go to sku and nobody would have bought the 5800x same as last gen. So instead they release the 5800x and people, myself included, who were looking for an 8 core part are now looking at the 5900x and thinking shall I just find that little extra and get that??? ;)

Associate
What stood out for me is that AMD want to upsell you from 8C to 12C.
They focussed on the 5900X and the price difference is only $100 which means 22% more money for 50% more cores and a higher boost/larger cache.
But will that be the better gaming CPU as it will have latency issues compared to the single chiplet 8C chip?

It seems a win-win for AMD.
You buy 8C they have excellent margins.
You buy 12C they get to use two faulty chips in 6C mode and get a higher sale price.
Leave the lower tiers for Zen 2 and keep most of the good Zen 3 for the big boy chips where the real money is.
A solid business model.
Well played madam.
She might as well have dressed in bondage gear.
She's the daddy.

Soldato
Not a chance! That would be $220 more than what I paid and I have no use for that many threads.

I only upgrade when i can get a better part (in this case an 8c16t cpu) for roughly what I paid.

I'm not one for chasing the extra performance if the cost is also more for the part its supposedly replacing.

I get no pleasure from spending money even if it is for something I'd like, so spending more is not an option.
Yeah, just saying if you do a calculation for cost of cores using US pricing 5900x is $45.75 per core, 5800X is $56.125 per core

Soldato
All seems pretty fine to me. The pricing is maybe $50 higher than would have been ideal, but at least they're throwing in a copy of Far Cry 6. After the initial period I expect prices will start to slide downwards too, as they did with Zen 2. The 3700X launched at £320 and was under £300 a few months after launch, before settling in around the £280 range (and has been £250 and even slightly lower multiple times this year). There doesn't seem to be any huge reason to run out and buy one straight away if you have a Zen 2 chip though, unless you're really trying to push insane framerates at lower resolutions.

Permabanned
But AMD are giving us better price/performance than Intel. Last gen has lower single thread performance so had to discount it accordingly. Now they dont have to. What's the issue with this?
They are too expensive just like Intel have been up to now. I don’t want something for nothing but I’m not paying 50% extra to replace my 6 core. Performance looks great but the price is not.

Associate
Very clever launch by AMD. Had they released a 5700x at the same time they know this would have been the go to sku and nobody would have bought the 5800x same as last gen. So instead they release the 5800x and people, myself included, who were looking for an 8 core part are now looking at the 5900x and thinking shall I just find that little extra and get that??? ;)

So why not ignore the 5800x, then see what Intel do, and if needs be go and release with 5800x with 10 cores.

All a bit weird from AMD. The launch has made Zen 2 more appealing to me.

Back
Top Bottom