New m.2 drives on pcie4.0

Soldato
WD Gen 4 has been reported to be released now.
Looks nice.

The market for Gen 4 m.2 is slowly picking up pace.

I don't fancy the Samsung drive, cos of using TLC like mentioned above.

Have you run into the write limit much with previous drives?

Associate
For me I'll migrate my gen 3 nvme to X570. I have a 1tb Samsung 960 evo and i also have a 512gb 970 evo both these SSD's do not make any large difference to boot times in games they are miniscal. I would say stick to using traditional Sata SSD's for boot drives and if you can as archive drives to replace the aging HDD's in your builds.

Associate
Have you run into the write limit much with previous drives?

I'm just using normal ssd's atm, 2x 1tb ssd with my computer upgrade last year.
It was no m.2 ssd to reduce the overall cost.

Now the gen4 m.2's are coming to market, now is the time to actually make use of my mboard ( 3 m.2 slots ).

Soldato
I'm sticking with Gen 3s for the moment as as average user. Just don't see the value in paying more for something now that won't be capitalised on for a year.
I agree

From what i can see it £560 for a 4TB Gen 3 compared to £700 for a Gen 4

£140 extra and you will most likely not notice a single difference between them in normal everyday use

Associate
I'm sticking with Gen 3s for the moment as as average user. Just don't see the value in paying more for something now that won't be capitalised on for a year.
Yeah you won't see much benefit going to a gen 4 nvme ssd. Unless you have some special application that can utilise the high amount of iops they produce. As others said it will take a while for Devs to implement the Direct Storage APi's into their games. I could see AMD bring a game infinity cache that would utilise their Radeon cards on their X series motherboards. Similar to what the Series X/PS5 consoles will be doing. It's just a matter of time really

Associate
I decided to split it for my new PC build, as I think this gives you the best price/perf compromise plus simultaneous read/write on two channels

1TB 980 Pro (just for raw performance on the OS, pagefile and Nvidia IO)
2TB Adata XPG SX8200 Pro (TLC nand) PCIe 3.0

they both cost £210 each which in total is still less than the predicted price of 2TB 980 Pro due in Dec.

Ended up copying you :)

Associate
I don't intend on grabbing one right this moment but I'll definitely get a 500gb gen4 drive to be my boot and software drivesome time next year because honestly what's a hundred quid. Will also allow me to remove the old style SSD from my build

Rom

Rom

Associate
So I might be mis reading something, but im also looking at gen 4 drives.

Sabrent 2TB Rocket Q4 NVMe PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280 Internal SSD Maximum Performance Solid State Drive R/W 4800/3600 MB/s (SB-RKTQ4-2TB) this is £252?! Is there something bad about it?

My bad, its QLC not TLC. The TLC is another £100 ish

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom