Number or size of Rads

Iwf

Iwf

Associate
I’m completing a build using an Evolv Shift X, currently with 280rad, two 140 industrial intua fan pulling up to 3000rpm. I’ve just bought a 3080 and am thinking of watercooling.

my chosen game is FS2020, which is heavily GPU dependant but not so for the CPU. I can’t easily fir another rad other than to replace the 280, with a 240, then o could fit a 120 in the base.

so the question is do I need to. I rarely hear the fans spin up to max, and cpu temps run at mid 70s at most. The 3080 sees temps of high 60s. It occurs to me I could put a bigger reservoir in to increase the volume of coolant.

ideas anyone?

Iwf

Iwf

Associate
OP
I don’t think I need to watercool it that badly :)

Other than hearsay is there a more scientific way of calculating cooling requirements?

Associate
EKWB list the cooling capacity of their radiators on the custom loop configurator.

SE 280 - 444W

SE 240 - 283W
SE 120 - 141W

According to them it's only the SE that fit your case and your 280 will outperform a 240+120.

Soldato
I have the Shift X with custom loop and a 240 and 120mm SE radiator on top and bottom as you suggest. Temps with a 1080Ti overclocked (planning to move to 3xxx also) and 9900k OC'd and temps stay reasonable. the 120mm radiator in the bottom work well I think as the fan for that rad can bring in a decent amount of air from the bottom. The side panel 240mm is kind of chocked in this case. You do not need a bigger reservoir to hold more coolant though.

In all with this case without any mods to panels, I have found the temps are always going to be on the warmer side with whatever config you go 240 + 120 vs 280. But temps are still cooler then most air cooled solutions, stay within check and look damn awesome.

0Fg6sJC.jpg

Iwf

Iwf

Associate
OP
Many thanks

I took the opportunity to reread the EK docs on the subject, and will try the 280. swapping to a 240/120 though possible, means the 140 fans become redundant. Instead I might a add a bottom fan pulling in cold air with the rad fans pulling.

that said these comments are very helpful. I'll report progress

Soldato
Many thanks

I took the opportunity to reread the EK docs on the subject, and will try the 280. swapping to a 240/120 though possible, means the 140 fans become redundant. Instead I might a add a bottom fan pulling in cold air with the rad fans pulling.

that said these comments are very helpful. I'll report progress

Yup would defo add a fan in bottom of the case to help bring in cool air. As mentioned the intakes along side panels are restrictive in this case somewhat.

Iwf

Iwf

Associate
OP
Interesting info about the Shift X My current build has 2 140 fans pulling air out of the 280 rad, with a thin 120 pushing and a 120 pulling air across the MB. I took the filters out of the front and until I sort out the cabling the read cover removed.

I don't know if you saw it, but a Shift X was recently sold on ebay, where the seller had hacked the case around to support a 480 rad! I nearly bought it simply out of interest.

Iwf

Iwf

Associate
OP
So the alphacool is in and the gpu watercooled. The order of the plumbing is pump , cpu, rad, gpu pump.

I’ve noticed the cpu runs hotter but under full load the gpu didn’t any hotter than 55c. Time spy benchmark on a 4k monitor was 13304. I think the cpu is running hot, because it’s getting the coolant post the GPU but before the rad. Potentially I could change the order of the coolant, but I felt the gpu needs more coolant than the cpu.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I think the cpu is running hot, because it’s getting the coolant post the GPU but before the rad. Potentially I could change the order of the coolant, but I felt the gpu needs more coolant than the cpu.

Irrelevant, the loop will reach its a max temp regardless of block order.

Amount of cooling, not block order, is the only thing that reduces temps.

Don't waste your time re-doing your loop.

If you do then you hit deminishing returns, adding more rads will not drop temps drastically.

Settle on a set of temps that are acceptable, is an extra 360 rad worth dropping 3 degrees for example ?

Last edited:

Iwf

Iwf

Associate
OP
Thanks. I think I hit the law of diminishing returns when I first encountered water cooling :)

Apart from swapping out the soft for hard tubing I’m therefore done. :)

Associate
Fan speeds key here as well, well at least pressure. Those wattage numbers will be based on a specific fan at a specific rpm probably full whack so bare that in mind if you are sensitive to noise.

Back
Top Bottom