Images of items I have purchased (except trainers)

Man of Honour
I actually forgot about this for months having previously made a mental note to replace...

surge_20201008_144359.jpg

Noticed one day the extension green lights for surge protection going into the desk setup were out, a quick google revealed once the light is out or dim it's time to replace the extension as it's no longer providing surge protection. How do people check surge protection status on outlets and extensions without an indicator??

^^ These are around 8 years old so a quick search on Amazon later I found a 12 gang socket designed for server cabinets but usable around the home. Some reviews stated various sockets wouldn't allow anything to be plugged in, possible QC issues etc but I found the same one on the Kenable website for a few quid cheaper and once it arrived, all sockets worked fine, no buzzing which was something else a couple reviews mentioned either. Nice that it's modular, you can swap around the brackets and the side the power inlet cable goes into.

surge_20201008_141339.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Your cabling is so neat!

I have had to install a second machine for remote working on the same large desk - and i think the mass of cables underneath could trap a small mammal, if one ever dared venture under...

Your pic has made me reassess my mess - and that looks up to the job and two stacked would probably still be out of sight/mind (and zero chance of dead puppies being found caught up in present tangles mass).

Do you mind me asking model/price? EDIT: Found it.

Soldato
How do people check surge protection status on outlets and extensions without an indicator??
TBH from what I've read, domestic units with a couple of spare capacitors in don't actually offer any real protection. I've got a 6-way that I keep using despite the lights all being wrong because... It's got 2 sockets more than my other extensions!

Man of Honour
Hmm thing is most domestic ones promote compensation should something connected to the extension fry from a surge and depending on brand will offer anything up to £30,000 from what I've seen. Masterplug for example offer an average of £1000 whilst Belkin go full whack. I'd imagine if something did fry whilst connected, the maker will want the extension in to investigate, and if they can tell how long the indicator has been out, could void that compensation due to user error at not replacing the extension when it was due!

Personally probably would not trust the cheap generic unbranded ones going forwards though with this new knowledge as can't be sure as to the quality of what's inside.

Your cabling is so neat!

I have had to install a second machine for remote working on the same large desk - and i think the mass of cables underneath could trap a small mammal, if one ever dared venture under...

Your pic has made me reassess my mess - and that looks up to the job and two stacked would probably still be out of sight/mind (and zero chance of dead puppies being found caught up in present tangles mass).

Do you mind me asking model/price? EDIT: Found it.

Oops sorry forgot to link it but see you've found it. For anyone else interested it is this one. Shipping was rather quick, got it within 2 days.

As for the cabling, Thanks! Although I think it's messier than it could be lol but the cable guides that came with the desk keep excess cable runs out of sight and my main thing was keeping all cables off the floor as the last thing I want is dust traps or kicking cables and things.

Soldato
TBH from what I've read, domestic units with a couple of spare capacitors in don't actually offer any real protection. I've got a 6-way that I keep using despite the lights all being wrong because... It's got 2 sockets more than my other extensions!

All of the domestic units I've seen use a metal oxide varistor which should do the job, that's pretty much what an SPD in a consumer unit is.

Soldato
How do people check surge protection status on outlets and extensions without an indicator??

I've not seen a surge protected extension that hasn't got an indicator so it's highly likely that no indicator means no surge protection.

We had our consumer unit replaced recently with RCBO's and an SPD so I've removed all the surge protected extensions and leave the SPD in the consumer unit to deal with it.

Soldato
Oops sorry forgot to link it but see you've found it. For anyone else interested it is this one. Shipping was rather quick, got it within 2 days.
The above is appreciated, all the same, and additional shipping was useful, thanks. (will measure up...)

the cable guides that came with the desk keep excess cable runs out of sight and my main thing was keeping all cables off the floor as the last thing I want is dust traps or kicking cables and things.
Agreed, looks exactly what i need - that and a larger desk/redesign, as i can't see the situation or temporary office mate/wife changing anytime soon. Unless, i take over the garage conversion from the kids - but that's my music room too (guitars). I basically, miss the solitude of my once peaceful and uncluttered study. For example my Pickle Rick (not a euphemism) is now standing next to a very feminine bowl of potpourri and sparkly gel pens :/

I did 2 rushed builds when i heard some component factories were shutting down in late February and whispered predicted shortages/price hikes. And then built a further 2 more when lockdown was being debated (predicted remote working) - so my once quiet, orderly study is now a hot box with an added occupant/spouse.

One of the first 2 builds was problematic - so the second 2 were literally thrown together and plugged into similar Masterplug Surge Protection extensions, same as you had before - but - as mentioned, the result is a complete cabling mess - as work for both of us has been manic since (It seems that with TEAMS+Covid; work doesn't stop after 7pm now - we can have meetings every night and late into the night :/)

I just haven't had the will to deal with the cables - but your tidy example has shamed me into action. :)

Associate
oZeHXRF.jpg

Cambridge Audio Melomania 1, to replace my samsung buds that I managed to run through the washing machine. Very impressed with the quality at this pricepoint for wireless buds.

Edit: Image doesn't seem to be displaying properly :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
Chav incoming in 3, 2, 1

OdSCgfy.png

JHu4VQi.png

HzUiYwQ.png

Although i'm arguing that it's a Chaise and not a corner sofa :p

We didn't want a leather footstool so went with grey. Partly because i refused to pay £600 for a leather footstool and this was £350!

I also don't like cushions, so they're all bagged up for the loft.

Back
Top Bottom