Main Dealer labour rates

Soldato
Just lol if you think that it being done by a main dealer has any bearing on whether it's been done well or not.

As evidenced by the guy 3 posts up from you who was servicing cars unsupervised at the age of 16 at a main dealer.

You're not paying the extra for the expertise. You're paying the extra for the incredibly expensive stainless steel and glass showroom the service bay is attached to.
I agree with most of that BUT main dealers also stand by the work no matter what so if they mess it up or it fails they will usually replace free of charge. Many independents will not give you a 12 month warranty so if they stuff it up at best you might get a 3-6 month warranty from them.

Soldato
I agree with most of that BUT main dealers also stand by the work no matter what so if they mess it up or it fails they will usually replace free of charge. Many independents will not give you a 12 month warranty so if they stuff it up at best you might get a 3-6 month warranty from them.

I can see that there might be a perception of security from using a main dealer. And in some cases it might be justified. But I think it's a hell of a claim to say that "main dealers also stand by the work no matter what ". There are plenty of cases of manufacturers overall not playing fair with their customers, never mind individual dealers.

Soldato
Really?
I have had work done with a 12 month warranty on it (the parts makers usually do that) from independents

Soldato
I thought it was pretty common knowledge that ex-company cars are the worst to buy. When people don't own said vehicle, and know that the vehicle will have to be returned in 3-4 years, it kinda gives people the mindset of not really bothering with it.

I mean you wouldn't go and splash out on some autoglym valeting kit for a car you're never going to own.

Actually I’ve got a shedload of Meguiars for my company car. My Dad always had company cars and always looked after them like they were his own so I guess it rubbed off. I have mine for four years so I treat it as if it were mine because I semi live in it and I want/need it to be presentable when I arrive at customers. It’s also always been dealer serviced.

Soldato
Actually I’ve got a shedload of Meguiars for my company car. My Dad always had company cars and always looked after them like they were his own so I guess it rubbed off. I have mine for four years so I treat it as if it were mine because I semi live in it and I want/need it to be presentable when I arrive at customers. It’s also always been dealer serviced.

There will always be exceptions.

Soldato
Our local Ford dealer is £112.00 + VAT per an hour, diagnostics is charged by the hour paid in advance

I always find the diagnostics charge an absolute con.

There's absolutely no skill needed to plug the machine in and pull out the error codes. The high-end devices that all the main dealers will have will also tell you pretty much everything that's wrong.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Stole it from FB Group... Audi charged £99 for pointing a fault (leaking coolant) that has been mentioned whilst car was booked in, didn't specify where the leak was coming from and quoted over 1k to diagnose the fault.

image.png

Associate
I always find the diagnostics charge an absolute con.

There's absolutely no skill needed to plug the machine in and pull out the error codes. The high-end devices that all the main dealers will have will also tell you pretty much everything that's wrong.
quite correct no skill in pulling the codes but thats far from diagnosing a fault. fault codes point to the end of the line and the sensor/sensors that have picked up a fault not always what has caused it

Alex

Associate

Lol stand by the work? On what planet. More likely to say its "wear and tear"

Associate
Id agree with others and say BMW are the worst of regular cars.

Some of there parts prices are hilarious. They wanted 85quid for 2 split pins and shims for brakes a few years ago. Ordered the same thing on ebay for a tenner. Pathetic. I found Mercedes a lot better price wise for parts and labour. I had a older C55 AMG and always took it to merc for most stuff they were reasonable.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Mercedes parts are incredibly reasonable, including their service parts, to the point that i'd never shop anywhere other than the main local agent (Mercedes Benz of Oxford in my case) for anything for my Merc.

Their service pricing however, totally the other end of the scale, absolutely ridiculous. If you consider the retail price of the parts from the same source, their labour rate is into the hundreds per hour.

Back
Top Bottom