Can I have it all - probably not. 430d / 640d?

Soldato
So just over 12 months ago I got rid of my S4 and bought a year old Octavia VRS (Diesel), this was mainly due to a change in job role where mileage has increased significantly. Before lock down I was probably on for 25,000 - 30,000 miles easily in its first year. Now things have changed and as a business we are encouraged to work from home now and going forward (one of the very few things Covid-19 has helped with. I still expect to be doing up to 20,000 miles so am I crazy in considering a car change again?

Luckily I'm in a position where the Octavia is paid off and is still probably worth about £13k if I trade it in. I feel that I was spoilt with the S4 as it was so much fun to driver. The VRS is quick (not S4 quick) but the rides not as great and I suppose I've just not got that "fuzzy" feeling in it.

Maybe I'm being a little bit naïve and want it all.

Is there anything out there?

Thanks,

Soldato
Superb Sportline 4x4 272ps 2.0

Cheap, VAGs excellent 4WD system. VAGs excellent 2 litre turbo, which responds exceptionally well to tuning. Skoda trim levels, which, lets' be honest, are now starting to annoy even some of the "prestige" brands, especially value for money and standard kit.

Soldato
Get another S4 if thats what you really enjoyed. Surprised to hear it being called fun to drive though, beyond being insanely quick I'd always heard the steering and handling was dull and lifeless. I've never driven one myself though!

Caporegime
So just over 12 months ago I got rid of my S4 and bought a year old Octavia VRS (Diesel), this was mainly due to a change in job role where mileage has increased significantly. Before lock down I was probably on for 25,000 - 30,000 miles easily in its first year. Now things have changed and as a business we are encouraged to work from home now and going forward (one of the very few things Covid-19 has helped with. I still expect to be doing up to 20,000 miles so am I crazy in considering a car change again?

Luckily I'm in a position where the Octavia is paid off and is still probably worth about £13k if I trade it in. I feel that I was spoilt with the S4 as it was so much fun to driver. The VRS is quick (not S4 quick) but the rides not as great and I suppose I've just not got that "fuzzy" feeling in it.

Maybe I'm being a little bit naïve and want it all.

Is there anything out there?

Thanks,

What do you actually want? You don't say...

Soldato
Just a thought and potentially a cheap solution, but I found the handling in my Octavia very vague as the rear end felt wallowy - this was massively improved with a whiteline rear anti roll bar. Steering is still a bit numb, but the car handles much better. Maybe worth a try as it's cheap and might be enough to satisfy you with a compromise.

Man of Honour
Theres something about BMW's that just dont do it for me. My Dad has a 535 and although on paper it tickets all the box it just seems a bit boring to me.

This would make sense if you craved a sports car but the car you miss was an Audi A4 of all things, possibly the least exciting German saloon on the market.

I don't think anyone in the history of the universe has ever seriously suggested an A4 was a more engaging drive than a 3 Series.

Soldato
OP
This would make sense if you craved a sports car but the car you miss was an Audi A4 of all things, possibly the least exciting German saloon on the market.

I don't think anyone in the history of the universe has ever seriously suggested an A4 was a more engaging drive than a 3 Series.

Your probably right, I reckon its a mental thing, Dad's always had a 3/5 series and probably in my head its an old mans car. Maybe he's onto something. Now don't get me wrong I'm open to options across the market.

Soldato
Pants handling compared to a 3 series. Infotainment is years behind as well.
Really? Because everything I’ve read has said the Jags have the best handling of all the premium saloons. It’s the one thing they’re known for. They tend to fall down compared to the Germans in all the other categories.

Caporegime
Really? Because everything I’ve read has said the Jags have the best handling of all the premium saloons. It’s the one thing they’re known for. They tend to fall down compared to the Germans in all the other categories.

When I test drove the xf I found it...I don't know the word...flat compared to the 3 series. Not as much feedback from the back end. Steering not quite as responsive. Not tried an XE.

Soldato
The XE handles well compared to a 3 series (XE S is a cracking car to drive and comes with a great, flexible engine) but the infotainment is really, really poor before around 2018. In theory shouldn't be a deal breaker, but when your £25k+ car has features that worn as well as a mobile phone from the mid 2000's I imagine it becomes pretty old pretty quickly as a thing to live with day to day

Back
Top Bottom