• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen3 event thread

Associate
Some of the higher end parts look relatively better off. Its the mainstream and entry level parts which seem a bit overpriced.

But a Ryzen 9 3900 non-X can be easily found for well under £350.

I said this before that the XT series was used by amd to reset the asp and further reduce the bom by not including the cooler.

companies use whatever is convenient at the time.

Soldato
So every year when they make a new better product they should put the price up a bit more?
One of the goals of a successful business is to be in a position where you can sell your products for the highest possible price.
Setting an environment where it’s a race to be the cheapest seller is not sustainable.

:confused:
Loads and loads of people are complaining about the price in this thread?!
Yeah, it’s like a shocker to everyone that the latest halo products cost more than the old stuff :p:confused:

Soldato
Well given how often people keep saying, "AMD aren't a charity," the idea of giving them more money to make a charitable donation to their R&D fund seems a bit contradictory ;)

I'll buy if I think it's worth the asking price, not because I want to help them out. They aren't my buddy, pal :p

Also I'm sure someone else would have filled the void. IBM still make chips, maybe it would have been them. Maybe Abu Dhabi or whatever would have poured a few billion into making a chip.

It wouldn't have been x86, for sure, but there's no reason a world without AMD (or Intel) would tend towards £3-5k PCs.

Nobody is suggesting sending Lisa Su a donation but if you think these prices are bad try a world with only Intel as your option. Oh yes we've been there in the FM2+ days, how were those prices? $999 for 8 cores in 2014.

I'd love the best CPU to be cheap but that's not the real world. There's also a difference charging more and charging double. Ironically many in this forum have a binary approach, good or bad rather than a more nuanced, not great but better. That's where AMD are right now. The prices aren't great but better than Intel would give us. .
That all said if Intel dropped another Sandybridge I'd happily buy that instead.

Edit: typo

Last edited:
Soldato
One of the goals of a successful business is to be in a position where you can sell your products for the highest possible price.
Setting an environment where it’s a race to be the cheapest seller is not sustainable.

Yeah, it’s like a shocker to everyone that the latest halo products cost more than the old stuff :p:confused:

Indeed. Honestly, who expects the price to stay low now that the performance/competition scales are (apparently) tipping the other way.

Soldato
Indeed. Honestly, who expects the price to stay low now that the performance/competition scales are (apparently) tipping the other way.

The righteous folk who aren’t happy with the price of the top end latest product, who could freely get the old ‘cheap’ ones if they so wished. Seriously if Ryzen last generation wasn’t so good Intel would be pricing the 10900K at least a grand.

Associate
Well we are talking about the FASTEST cpus on the planet atm ( just to put some perspective to the moaners :D ) and 5900x 12 core looks very tempting to be honest.

Soldato
Isn't the 5900x the same launch price as the 3900x was?
The 5900x price is fine it's the 4800X and 4600X that's not.

The 3600X and 3800X were always poor value but last time around we had the 3700X and 3600 which gave consumers a choice of either paying more for higher clocks or less for value for money. This time we only have the poor value options and with a further premium attached to them for good measure.

Last edited:
Soldato
200.gif

Associate
I was wondering if you need ryzen 5000 gamingwise? They are faster but if you already are gpu bottlenecked with the ryzen 3000 there is no need to upgrade Imo.

Buying a 5900x is also buying the fastest gpu on earth otherwise there is no performance gain.

People with a gtx 1080 play at 1080p ultra. For the most part gpu bottlenecked. People with a gtx 1080ti and further should play 1440p and further at ultra.
Also for the most part gpu bottlenecked.

A tuned 3900x with ccx overclocked and tuned ddr4 with extreme timings should be enough realistic speaking.

But if you buy a rtx 3090 to play on 1080p medium settings then yes you should buy the fastest gaming cpu on earth. But that's not realistic Imo.

Look at far cry dawn how ryzen stole the win from Intel. That gap was huge. But realistic speaking they should have fix that with a engine /software update not a new cpu.

Associate

The 3600X and 3800X were always poor value but last time around we had the 3700X and 3600 which gave consumers a choice of either paying more for higher clocks or less for value for money. This time we only have the poor value options and with a further premium attached to them for good measure.

Aah I see, well I guess that's the price you have to pay if you want the performance. I stil don't think any are bad value, but I'd imagine AMD will bring out value parts at some stage after.

Soldato
I was wondering if you need ryzen 5000 gamingwise? They are faster but if you already are gpu bottlenecked with the ryzen 3000 there is no need to upgrade Imo.

Buying a 5900x is also buying the fastest gpu on earth otherwise there is no performance gain.

People with a gtx 1080 play at 1080p ultra. For the most part gpu bottlenecked. People with a gtx 1080ti and further should play 1440p and further at ultra.
Also for the most part gpu bottlenecked.

A tuned 3900x with ccx overclocked and tuned ddr4 with extreme timings should be enough realistic speaking.

But if you buy a rtx 3090 to play on 1080p medium settings then yes you should buy the fastest gaming cpu on earth. But that's not realistic Imo.

Look at far cry dawn how ryzen stole the win from Intel. That gap was huge. But realistic speaking they should have fix that with a engine /software update not a new cpu.
So whose going to buy these CPUs if you need a 3090 to see a benefit and im still not convinced they will beat intel when those are overclocked as the stock numbers were only marginally ahead.

Intel had higher prices and a marginal performance lead in gaming the last time around and that didn't turn out so well for them did it?.

Associate
So whose going to buy these CPUs if you need a 3090 to see a benefit and im still not convinced they will beat intel when those are overclocked as the stock numbers were only marginally ahead.

Intel had higher prices and a marginal performance lead in gaming the last time around and that didn't turn out so well for them did it?.

I guess the difference here is that these are apparently better at everything than the Intel competition, rather than just having one use case that's better.

Soldato
I guess the difference here is that these are apparently better at everything than the Intel competition, rather than just having one use case that's better.
The 6 and 8 core zen 3 chips will still lose to zen2 8 and 12 core in multi threading at their price brackets and for gaming these will be no faster than overclocked comet lake chips which are now cheaper than these.

Soldato
Prices are steep for me. Couple of years ago I got the 1700x and an X370 motherboard for about £300 combined. Probably now would be looking at at least £500 for the equivalent in Zen3, and £700 if I wanted the 5900x.

Man of Honour
I think people are forgetting that AMD can get away with a bump up in price far more easily than an equivalent Intel one, due to the fact they have a large swathe of customers who already own compatible AM4 4xx/5xx motherboards. It isn't the same as Intel raising prices for their next gen at all, with them you'd be reaching for another £100 for a motherboard too.

Back
Top Bottom