• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I do think it seems worse than ever.
There's always been rabid fanboys, but it's wild now.

Being whipped up by rumours, into mouth foaming excitement. Or, being deeply angry that another company could have a decent product. If this is you, sort yourself out.

I'm not sure, in fact in the past the ban hammer used to come out along with threats to shut down the graphics section IIRC. This is quite civilized :)

Soldato
With the performance being (apparently) within 5-10% of the RTX 3080, and 61 FPS at 4K even in challenging games like Borderlands 3, 'Big Navi' perf. doesn't worry me.

We also saw some other Ashes of the Singularity benchmarks showing 60 fps+ 4K benchmarks also from a new GPU from AMD, which were largely dismissed.

I am worried they will price 'Big Navi' too high though. I suppose I (maybe some others here too) could buy whatever is available next year if the price is too high.

Last edited:
Associate
Their CPU prices to me demonstrated greed, AMD has always been the "Yeah it's a bit slower but a lot cheaper option", I do wonder if we are about to see them going into the £650++ territory

Soldato
Their CPU prices to me demonstrated greed, AMD has always been the "Yeah it's a bit slower but a lot cheaper option", I do wonder if we are about to see them going into the £650++ territory
AMD CPUs have not always been “the bit slower, but cheaper” option. They have struggled for years but are getting it back.

the issue is that for years intel and NV have been in a position of power and have massively underwhelmed.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
AMD CPUs have not always been “the bit slower, but cheaper” option. They have struggled for years but are getting it back.

Same can be said for the GPUs, the stigma always lives for some though they can never forget either 'drivers' or 'runs hot'. Sad truth is nvidia are in this position and likely more expensive (again) yet nothing will stick to teflon..

Caporegime

the issue is that for years intel and NV have been in a position of power and have massively underwhelmed.

For at least 10 years the quote was true lol. I don't understand the semantics.

Hell for 5 years their best CPU's were their Pile-driver stuff as they just stopped launching anything till Zen really (At the upper end, they did release some APU's and new SKU's though)

Soldato
Is there any other enthusiast area in the world, that can talk so much about so little?
I'm hopeful from those 3 numbers AMD posted, and they do seem to be on a roll. Still, we've all been there for the last several AMD card releases. It's not set the world on fire.
It feels like some are offended by the idea AMD could release a decent card though. They should give their head a shake. Some competition would be great!
I don't care who makes my GPU, I just want a strong mid-range card.

Good post. Embrace some competition and choice. After all its why the 3080 is so cheap, Jensen was sweating on it and hated telling shareholders - we have to start at £650... so fanboys also win. Be nice if people gave credit even if you do not like the opposing brand and 'reasons' why they do not entertain them.

Man of Honour
Same can be said for the GPUs, the stigma always lives for some though they can never forget either 'drivers' or 'runs hot'. Sad truth is nvidia are in this position and likely more expensive (again) yet nothing will stick to teflon..

It'll be interesting to see where thing stack up performance/power wise - I don't know how to interpret it but the firmware power management stuff for Navi 21 mentions stuff like 230 watt, 250 watt but not sure if that is in any way related to the TDP.

Soldato
It'll be interesting to see where thing stack up performance/power wise - I don't know how to interpret it but the firmware power management stuff for Navi 21 mentions stuff like 230 watt, 250 watt but not sure if that is in any way related to the TDP.

If they do get some credible power draw figures it time to applaud that. Of course the narrative will go back to - ahh but this card is faster and thats all that matters!! :D

Permabanned
but now there not a bit slower ..but a lot faster so there charging $50 premium did they not earn this .. ? but on the gpu side they still need to earn the respect ..

Associate
but now there not a bit slower ..but a lot faster so there charging $50 premium did they not earn this .. ? but on the gpu side they still need to earn the respect ..

At $559 it's a steal
$599 adequately priced..
though it makes sense to target 559 as the market these days just slaps an additional $50 during the launch crunch
The RT discount is going to be blessing for folks who prefer RTX Off
.. still i got to remind myself that they showed just 3 games

And I am personally hoping for crossfire to make a come back..

Man of Honour

I'm fairly certain the price increases on TSMC 7nm is leaving them limited options on pricing and I will be surprised if they don't more or less sit in with nVidia's pricing - regardless of what people think they "should" do.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I'm fairly certain the price increases on TSMC 7nm is leaving them limited options on pricing and I will be surprised if they don't more or less sit in with nVidia's pricing - regardless of what people think they "should" do.
Do you plan on picking up a 3070 or something or your waiting for hopper?

Associate

I'm agnostic on it all, can't get a 3080 (would have if I could but gone off the boil on it now), will buy whatever AMD has dependant on price and noise, noise is a bigger factor to me than outright performance

Man of Honour
Do you plan on picking up a 3070 or something or your waiting for hopper?

Depends I'm in a few minds - if I can source a 3080 at £650 I will probably go with that - though I don't really need more than 3070 performance as the only reason I'd pick up an Ampere GPU at this stage is that I'm doing some RTX development stuff on the side and single digit framerates on my 1070 really don't cut it.

TBH so far most newer games I get bored of them after 5 minutes and go back to alternating between BF4 and TD1 which play fine on my 1070.

Caporegime

By the same token Intel earned their price premium by being miles ahead then lol. And everyone complained (Myself included) at the price of Intel lol.

Neither are your friend, they all want what's in your pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom