• Series S

Votes: 104 11.8%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Yep its really annoying how that crap gets flung about as if its gospel..

Of course it exhausts heat out the top.. Thats its design..

There is only so much heat a computer with a 350w power supply can output, the cooling solution is great.

Man of Honour
Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not surprised one bit about people not understanding the hardware. I'm the only one out of my friends who has any idea, for example. The PS5 mainboard looks so empty. It's like they've gone and designed it, before deciding to make it huge as their cooling needed more space, then wrap that ugly mess of a case around it.

Warmth is to be expected though with the power. Same for any NVMe drive heating up.

Soldato
Previous power supply sizes at launch, for comparison:

PS3 - 380W
Xbox 360 - 203W
PS4 - 250W
Xbox One - 253W
PS4 Pro - 310W
Xbox One X - 245W

PS3 is a bit of an outlier. While it had a 380W power supply, it rarely used more than 200W.

Xbox 360 E had a mere 115W PSU!

It's going to be interesting to see how people handle the new consoles. Series X and PS5 are both huge units, with 350W PSUs on board. So the warning signs are there; don't go stuffing them in to a tight media cabinet and then complaining about noise (or worse, overheating).

I wonder how Series S will stack up?

Soldato
Previous power supply sizes at launch, for comparison:

PS3 - 380W
Xbox 360 - 203W
PS4 - 250W
Xbox One - 253W
PS4 Pro - 310W
Xbox One X - 245W

PS3 is a bit of an outlier. While it had a 380W power supply, it rarely used more than 200W.

Xbox 360 E had a mere 115W PSU!

It's going to be interesting to see how people handle the new consoles. Series X and PS5 are both huge units, with 350W PSUs on board. So the warning signs are there; don't go stuffing them in to a tight media cabinet and then complaining about noise (or worse, overheating).

I wonder how Series S will stack up?

I'd expect to see it at about 200-250w probably.

Associate
I would imagine if heat was really an issue for either, then they would have used an external powerbrick instead of an internal PSU........as there's a fair bit of heat produced by the PSU.

Permabanned
I would imagine if heat was really an issue for either, then they would have used an external powerbrick instead of an internal PSU........as there's a fair bit of heat produced by the PSU.

I really don't understand why all gadgets don't come with an external power supply by now. Having an internal one doesn't make any sense as the main problems with devices is heat.

Soldato
I was hoping we would have gone past an embargo for the youtubers with their hands on the consoles by now :o I'm getting impatient over here!

Soldato
I really don't understand why all gadgets don't come with an external power supply by now. Having an internal one doesn't make any sense as the main problems with devices is heat.

Can't stand external power supplies. Being able to just use short figure 8 connected makes cabling so much easier. Having a massive pile of external power supplies is a nightmare..

Permabanned
Can't stand external power supplies. Being able to just use short figure 8 connected makes cabling so much easier. Having a massive pile of external power supplies is a nightmare..
Microsoft tried that last time out and got no end of flack for it :p

There's got to be a way to keep the power supply away from the unit but make it tidy.

Soldato

Cost and bulk. The integrated PSUs are built into the cooling solution, an external one would potentially need its own cooling.

Back
Top Bottom