• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I don't think the price increase is too bad for same-socket update.

I think they have a good spread of pricing. If you want top-notch you have to pay for it I think, regardless of who is making it.

Associate
i just went from i5 6660k to a 3900x was a nice performance boost well worth it, then can get another upgrade to 5000 series next year or so and get a bit more life from AM4

Soldato
Will need to wait for reviews but yeah I felt little underwhelmed that they didn’t go N7+ and 7nm I/O die. Boost clock is probably meaningless again as many will never actually reach it and ones that do see it in idle in windows for a split second never actual workloads.

Price hike on 5900X and 5950X is ok but really sucks on the 5600X and 5800X. Crazy how Intel is cheaper on lower end of stack.

It looks like will still probably lose in gaming to a 10900k overclocked running fast mems.

Soldato
These price hikes by AMD are ridiculous. I've always rooted for AMD for being competitive and offering great value to the consumer. Now they're pulling an Intel on us.

I guess I'll skip this upgrade cycle and maybe I'll just a used 3700X to match the 8 core's in the next gen consoles.

2014 wants to say hello, 5960X for $999 an 8 core CPU. I'll still take lower prices but without AMD they'd be double what they are now. That's one reason I didn't buy Intel in the Athlon days, they were prohibitively expensive. Sandybridge came along for £150 I think for my 2500K and I swapped over. High Intel prices again and I moved to Zen2.

Anyone want to bet on a $300 Intel 8 core CPU that outperforms AMD coming along soon?

Soldato
If you mean March 2021, 5 months as soon, yeah I'll bet with you. As long as they keep AMDs momentum going I'm happy.

If that's the case I think we'll all be happy but I suspect Intel's culture won't compute winning performance and lower pricing. Happy to be proved wrong though :)

Associate
Same, initial hype made me want the 5900x but may hold out for a 5700x if it's announced/released.
I think I'm of a similar mind. Initially loved the 5900x, but in the cold light of day, I think maybe a discounted 3700x around BF may be the smart move for my use case with a move to 5x00x when AM5/DDR5 drops...

Does mean the potential to replace my Vega 56 when AMD launch new cards

Associate
But it's not though. They're now market leader and can't price the 5 series the same as the 3 series so it was bound to happen. Saying that, and assuming stock isn't an issue, they may well come down.
I would have been happy if the 5800X matched the 3800X launch price. The latter was already an overpriced proposition, particularly as it offered no significant advantage over the 3700X - which was easily the best bang for buck for a CPU.

Soldato
If AMD could have hit the magical marketing speed of 5Ghz i'm pretty sure they would have.

I disagree, if they're close enough with the new 5000 series as far as the comparison to Intel, then why not hold the 5Ghz chips as a response for when Intel drop prices to compete?

AMD: Boom here's our new stuff..
Intel: Erm, well here's our stuff cheaper...
AMD: ...Oh, and here's 5Ghz...
Intel: **** off already will you...

Associate
The launch was a little underwhelming to be honest, strange they didnt touch the IO Die at all.

Probably constrained by TSMC's 7nm capacity, and the supply agreement with GloFo requiring AMD to purchase a certain amount of 12nm/14nm wafers.

The agreement is supposed to end next year, so maybe with Zen4 in 2022 we'll see them move the IO die across to 7nm while the chiplets go down to 5nm. Would be the right time to do it with DDR5 requiring a new IO die anyway.

Soldato
Will need to wait for reviews but yeah I felt little underwhelmed that they didn’t go N7+ and 7nm I/O die. Boost clock is probably meaningless again as many will never actually reach it and ones that do see it in idle in windows for a split second never actual workloads.

Price hike on 5900X and 5950X is ok but really sucks on the 5600X and 5800X. Crazy how Intel is cheaper on lower end of stack.

It looks like will still probably lose in gaming to a 10900k overclocked running fast mems.
You can run faster clocked memories and tighter timings than those benchmarks on Zen 2 or 3 also. So if you spend a lot on an aggressive cooling and fast ram on the 10900k you could do similar on Zen3 and negate the advantage.

Associate
So I have 2 SSD's and 2 Mechanical drives.
All are a mess as each one has windows installed on them. However didn't want to wipe them incase I had photos or documents I needed.

If I upgrade ive got 3 main areas.
I was going to do all at once but may be expensive.
Motherboard and CPU
Graphics
Monitor

I have i7 2600k, Vega 56 and a 1080p monitor
Thinking of doing the Motherboard and CPU first.

Is there a massive difference between SSD and the new Nvme drives for installing windows?

Also, what would be a decent motherboard and memory to pair with a 5900x?
Motherboard and Memory is a minefield I'm not to clear about?

Thanks in advance

Soldato
Is there a massive difference between SSD and the new Nvme drives for installing windows?

Also, what would be a decent motherboard and memory to pair with a 5900x?
Motherboard and Memory is a minefield I'm not to clear about?

Thanks in advance

Yes, most SSDs will read write at about 500-550MB/s and nVMEs are 3500MB/s plus
Probably not the right thread, but you could get the B550 Tomahawk and 16gb Crucial LPX DDR4, which would work well.
However, the B550 might need a BIOS update and if you don't have a CPU, it could be a problem. Might be worth looking to see if you can get a board that doesn't require a CPU.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I agree the increase in prices is disappointing, but that is the trend in recent years, especially in the GFX card market. I am somewhat scratching my head at those complaining about the value of upgrading from a 3000 series processor and complaining that they won't get much more for what is now a higher launch rrp... buying every release cycle is almost never an economical approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom