• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
There are different levels of speculation. I don't think yours is so realistic.
Thats not mine.. I am just quoting an industry leaker
You are free to calibrate your personal opinion as you wish.. but then it really becomes a game of my opinion vs yours.. cant really have a logical debate with that..
Right now we are just evaluating all scenarios..

Soldato
I think some people need to rewatch this video. The 14 game average shows that the CPU doesn't matter at 4K.

This is a good point. With current top end CPU's, if you game at 4K, it will be quite a few GPU generations before your CPU is a bottleneck. I reckon if I max out my X570, and move up to 4k in a few years time, I'll see out most of the 2020's on a current high end CPU.

Soldato
Borderlands 4k:

unknown.png

unknown.png

10284640_575px.png

Keep in mind that's not a FE 3080 but an aftermarket one which scores higher than the FE cards. In reality, the 3080 and RDNA2 cards are trading blows at 4k. With cheaper GDDR6 and less power hungry TSMC node, AMD should really be in a position to fight nvidia on price and performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1X4gm4ztOE&t=1023s

Just ran that benchmark on my 2080ti. 51.6fps, so Big Navi is 20% faster than the 2080ti (in Borderlands 3).

edit and checked 3090 results, its 45% faster than my 2080ti

Last edited:
Caporegime
Thats not mine.. I am just quoting an industry leaker
You are free to calibrate your personal opinion as you wish.. but then it really becomes a game of my opinion vs yours.. cant really have a logical debate with that..
Right now we are just evaluating all scenarios..
You can have a logical debate about it based on the leaked specifications which so far is the most accurate info we have. a GPU with the specificaitons that the 6800XT purportedly has is not going to be challenging a 3080. Newegg leaked:

Model / Stream processors / Base frequency (MHz) / VRAM type / Standard memory configuration / Memory bandwidth (GB / s) / Bus size / DP (W)

• Radeon RX 6700 XT - 2560 / 1500 / GDDR6 6GB / 384 192-bit / 150
  • Radeon RX 6800 XT - 3840 / 1500 / GDDR6 12GB / 384 192-bit / 200
  • Radeon RX 6900 XT - 5120 / 1500 / GDDR6 16GB / 512 256-bit / 300

If you think that the 6800XT will be challenging the 3080 then you need to inject yourself with a healthy dose of realism.

Associate
You can have a logical debate about it based on the leaked specifications which so far is the most accurate info we have. a GPU with the specificaitons that the 6800XT purportedly has is not going to be challenging a 3080. Newegg leaked:

Model / Stream processors / Base frequency (MHz) / VRAM type / Standard memory configuration / Memory bandwidth (GB / s) / Bus size / DP (W)

• Radeon RX 6700 XT - 2560 / 1500 / GDDR6 6GB / 384 192-bit / 150
  • Radeon RX 6800 XT - 3840 / 1500 / GDDR6 12GB / 384 192-bit / 200
  • Radeon RX 6900 XT - 5120 / 1500 / GDDR6 16GB / 512 256-bit / 300

If you think that the 6800XT will be challenging the 3080 then you need to inject yourself with a healthy dose of realism.

But then i also have this
Here's a summary from the same guy... dont know what to believe anymore... lets keep a moderate base line :)

230458s20l8j0v4b4ki4vk.png

Those series names can be changed to signal performance parity.

and this

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1314099938255605761

I aint arguing on names here.. i am just talking about possible ranges..
If a card is being internally referred as a 6900 but performs in-line with 3080 do you think they wont change the name?

Soldato
Just ran that benchmark on my 2080ti. 51.6fps, so Big Navi is 20% faster than the 2080ti (in Borderlands 3).

edit and checked 3090 results, its 45% faster than my 2080ti

I read elsewhere those benchmarks are all for UE4 games which generally favour Nvidia. Is that the case? If so, things could actually be a little better than they're admitting.

Soldato
This is a good point. With current top end CPU's, if you game at 4K, it will be quite a few GPU generations before your CPU is a bottleneck. I reckon if I max out my X570, and move up to 4k in a few years time, I'll see out most of the 2020's on a current high end CPU.
I'm going to wait to see what the rendering performance is like, then make my decision on if i will pick up a cheap 12 or 16 core, or 5900x.
Unless a land a contracting job, then sensibility be damned I'm getting the 5950X.

Associate
If it's over £500 AMD will price a lot of people out, including me :D

Does it make sense to charge more (for the GPU in the slides) than the RTX 3070 when the perf isn't drastically better? We know the RTX 3070 performance is pretty similar in games, vs the RTX 2080 TI, based on these slides:
https://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3070-Performance.jpg

When Nvidia made the RTX 3070 launch date announcement, they didn't necessarily know the perf. of the RDNA 2 GPU shown today in the AMD slides. Although, there's probably other factors for the delay too, like the stock situation with the RTX 3080.
3070 = 2080ti according to rumours, what amd showed yesterday is 20% faster than the 2080ti, nipping at the heals of the 3080.

So amd would be justified in charging more than the 3070.

Permabanned
I was talking more on a coding level. What algorithms are they using? What order are things being processed in the GPU pipeline? With the different implementations certain scenarios will favour Nvidia over AMD or potentially vice versa. We don't know till these games built with next gen consoles in mind are released.

Well we know that XBox will be DXR targeted due to MS's desire to code once and that companies are interested also in releasing PS titles on PC, albeit some years later after launch. So even PS titles will be using APIs that translate well to DirectX DXR/Vulkan. I do think(it's obvious) that PC performance in RT will be better than console due to more silicon being applied, but it won't match the quality that Nvidia has managed. Maybe easier to think of AMD having off, low, medium and high settings, while Nvidia may just stick with off and ultra. AMD's solution will be great for fast paced games.

Got my weekly queue position today. Made the godly jump from 166 to 158. I'm very open to AMD, infact I prefer AMD as a company. Maybe the 28th will convert me :)

Associate
Based on what info... or are you just talking about pure and unadulterated speculation here? The 6800XT reported specs are not in line with the kind of performance you are trying to pin to it and it will be competing with the 3070, not the 3080.

Just like you i have no info (rumours aren't really concrete info after all), just opinion

Plus they were very deliberate in their wording of 6000 series and never mentioned the precise model number. Why would they also show there hand to Nvidia?

Caporegime

I remember watching the video and them saying only one of them was a canned benchmark, if we are to compare performance to Ampere that's the only one that's relevant as playing a map to benchmark a game can result a wide range of results, games perform differently in different areas.

I'll have to watch it again, they did say which one it was, i'll do that later when i have time, at least we can see how it actually compares, whatever level of card it was and at whatever level of optimization, it gives us a minimum expectation.

Caporegime
Just like you i have no info (rumours aren't really concrete info after all), just opinion

Plus they were very deliberate in their wording of 6000 series and never mentioned the precise model number. Why would they also show there hand to Nvidia?
I do have info, the same unconfirmed info leaked from the major retailer Newegg... that's pretty much all we have. From those theoretical specs you can easily figure out which part AMD showed in their benchmarks. But no worries, if you want to apply your own logic based on wild optimism that a cut-down Big Navi part is going to compete with a 3080 then feel free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom