Sudden appearance of ads on OCUK site ??? **UPDATE: There will be no adverts**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
If they can't afford to keep a forum running that's linked to a shop, maybe they need to take a hard look at themselves? There are people on here that give their time and knowledge for free. They might provide somewhere for people to post, but they don't provide the wealth of knowledge that is posted. That is given freely. They're monetising that. Or are they going to start paying out ad revenue to the most helpful and prolific posters?

Who's forcing these people to share their knowledge? It's not a job, is it? They do it because they're decent people, not because they expect anything in return. Christ it's an ad. You know, the billions and billions of things you see on pretty much every single other website on the entire internet yet here you're whinging over a few pixels on a forum you get to use for free.

I suspect this is the result of them "taking a hard look at themselves" and rather than make cuts to the services / make staff redundant / shut down the forum, they're putting an ad on the site. Crack on I say.

Have you considered learning a bit about how businesses operate before commenting in such a dim manner?

Soldato
You aren’t the only one with complaints. I’ve echoed the same sentiments, but thankfully I use 2x pi-hole at home so I had to actively turn them off to see these trial ads.

Adblock on chrome also removes the ad placeholder to sort out the formatting too... shame that it’s a requirement as this site was one I’d normally not feel the need to block ads.

Yeah I use pi-hole on a docker which is given out to all clients via DHCP so I haven't seen a thing :)

Caporegime
It's genuinely interesting how many people are only looking at how it affects them and not how the business got to this point. I don't think they woke up one morning and went "that's it, let's screw up the forum with ads LOL".

Soldato
Or the company, like most companies, is suffering because of covid and would rather put some ads on the forum than make staff redundant? Could that also be a possibility? Or is an exhaust for gibbos ferrari the only option here?

What's it to you anyway? Its a free forum, I'm sure you can chuck them a fiver every month instead of the ads. Or go elsewhere, up to you.

A company selling tech during a year where basically everyone in the world has has to buy extra tech so they can continue working from home, I expect OcUk will be doing just fine.

My company have had some of their best months ever during Covid. If you sell online, I think a lot of companies selling consumer goods will be the same.

Caporegime
They seem to be coming and going and changing sizes on mobile for me now... :p

If only it were possible to make test copies of websites. Like literally every company worth their salt does before fiddling.

Caporegime
Nope (UBlock Origin).

same here.

No ads here on both desktop and mobile. I have ABP

None here - adblock + adguard.

I run AdBlocker Ultimate, no sign of anything on my end.

AdGuard pro. Not getting anything here.

Nope...not on mine. Using AdBlock.

Yeah I use pi-hole on a docker which is given out to all clients via DHCP so I haven't seen a thing :)

Nicholas-Cage-YouDontSay.jpg :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom