• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
If AMD could have hit the magical marketing speed of 5Ghz i'm pretty sure they would have.

The word is AMD could have hit 5Ghz, they hit 4.9Ghz i'm sure that extra 100Mhz could have been made but apparently 5Ghz would have required binning, and they decided to go for quantity of chips to keep the supply chain stocked rather than chase a number.

Soldato
The word is AMD could have hit 5Ghz, they hit 4.9Ghz i'm sure that extra 100Mhz could have been made but apparently 5Ghz would have required binning, and they decided to go for quantity of chips to keep the supply chain stocked rather than chase a number.

Maybe the rumoured 5900xt will be the 5ghz.

Associate
I want to see this explained as well. As far as I can tell the net difference between 5900 and 5950 should basically be 100mhz of boost clock because cache, latency etc is all the same between the two CPUs. Well there are 4 more cores too but that shouldn’t make a difference.
Ignore that. 5900X was compared to 3900XT not 3900X, that explains it.
When normalised (using 10900K comparison) 5950X compared to 5900X is
Ashes 6% faster
Far Cry 2% slower
Tomb Raider 1% slower
Total War 4% faster
Gaming between 5800x 5900x, pretend money isn't a factor, what do you do?
We know so little about 5800X. It will boost 100MHz lower. Maybe.

amd_zen3.jpg

amd_zen3b.jpg

Just looking forward to the full fat chiplet(s) being benched for the 5800X and 5950X.

Caporegime
I agree the increase in prices is disappointing, but that is the trend in recent years, especially in the GFX card market. I am somewhat scratching my head at those complaining about the value of upgrading from a 3000 series processor and complaining that they won't get much more for what is now a higher launch rrp... buying every release cycle is almost never an economical approach.
I bought a 3300x to tide me over for the last few months so I feel justified. :p

Associate
The subreddit is full of threads complaining about the price to the point an "Intel is better value" post has 1.6k likes and 1.6k comments, lol.

I just had an interesting thought. AMD is trying to play the good guy again just like they did when first announcing B450 wouldn't have Zen 3 support.

Intentionally put prices higher than you intend to actually sell it for. See if people are actually ok with it... if not just before launch make a post about how you listen to your customers and put the price back to what you originally wanted to sell it for. The subreddit is happy again and everyone thinks AMD is the good guy for listening to its "amazing fans".

ljt

ljt

Soldato
After thinking about it last night, even if they do release a 5700x CPU slightly cheaper I don't think I'll be going for it. I'm happy with my 3700x, and I game at 1440p and 4K, and I'm not fussed on super high refresh, anything 60 - 100 is plenty enough for me as I don't play twitch based shooters. I'm more into strategy/rpg/4x/Turn based games.

It would also mean I'd need a new motherboard (still on X370) so even more cost. I have an XSX on pre-order, game pass for console/PC, and I'm generally 1 or 2 years behind game releases before I buy (which is even less now with game pass). That should easily see me through until AMD jump to a new platform, and also I can see what Intel have to offer then too (providing they've fixed their security flaws)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom