• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Pretty much spot on with that. AMD added a $50 premium for the 5000 series. But they at least told you that much. I wouldn't expect a cheaper 6000 series GPU if it's on par/faster then a 3080. However, the question is will they charge as much, if true, because there is no availability from Nvidia until 2021. That's what I will be keeping my eye on.
That is the million dollar question!

(Just hope they don't cost a million dollars).

:p

That's a good price given how fast the 3080 is rising :D

Don't give them ideas,AMD wants to be competitive in price/performance so it might go up too!! :p
No surprise there, anyone remember the FX CPUs? I was exclusively an AMD CPU user until that point and they pushed me to Intel with those being so expensive. Then I never came back until recently with my Ryzen 3600.

Yeah, AMD is no one’s friend. As soon as they are better their prices jump up. I just buy whatever suits me these days and have no loyalty to them as they have no loyalty to me. When they were offing great value I was exclusively buying their GPU’s for many generations not touching Nvidia.

Same here,and all of them act the same when they know they can milk consumers. If competitors are better price/performance for my needs then I will get their products instead.

Soldato
I do have info, the same unconfirmed info leaked from the major retailer Newegg... that's pretty much all we have. From those theoretical specs you can easily figure out which part AMD showed in their benchmarks. But no worries, if you want to apply your own logic based on wild optimism that a cut-down Big Navi part is going to compete with a 3080 then feel free.
It's not really wild optimism though, is it. AMD's stated goal was to double performance of Navi 10. If it does that it actually comes out ahead of the 3080. I can't think of why they would undermine their own launch on the 28th by showing their best off at the tail end of the Zen3 announcement. This strikes me as more of a teaser. If Lisa Su or Scott Herkelmann are onstage with an oven there's probably a surprise inside. Though to be honest, the most important thing for this series is they get pricing and availability right.

Associate
and then nvida will bring out another card that will destroy AMD..like clockwork everytime. and then AMD will be better..and then nvidia. and so on and you end up waiting in an infinite loop.and before you know it..your dead and you wasted your life waiting, never playing games in glorious 4k with raytracing.

Man of Honour
It's not really wild optimism though, is it. AMD's stated goal was to double performance of Navi 10. If it does that it actually comes out ahead of the 3080. I can't think of why they would undermine their own launch on the 28th by showing their best off at the tail end of the Zen3 announcement. This strikes me as more of a teaser. If Lisa Su or Scott Herkelmann are onstage with an oven there's probably a surprise inside. Though to be honest, the most important thing for this series is they get pricing and availability right.

In Borderlands it is pretty much double the performance of the 5700XT I believe - the other two aren't far off.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Though to be honest, the most important thing for this series is they get pricing and availability right.

This really. After seeing the 3080 debacle unfold, we do not want any of that. I am quite happy for near 3080 performance for slightly less money - if I can get hold of it straight away and not pre-order for weeks and weeks.

If AMD achieve this, they will have much more respect from the community and claw back a smidgen of that dangerous mindshare..

Associate
I can see a 3080ti in the works with 16g of ram to combat the big navi if it proves to be as quick as the 3080. that will make the early adopters of the 3080 quake in there boots, nvidia better hurry with all them pre orders or they might switch to big navi :D

Caporegime
I can see a 3080ti in the works with 16g of ram to combat the big navi if it proves to be as quick as the 3080. that will make the early adopters of the 3080 quake in there boots, nvidia better hurry with all them pre orders or they might switch to big navi :D
And where would this supposed 3080Ti fit into the lineup... within the laughably small 15% performance gap between the £700 3080 and the £1600 3090?

Associate
I do have info, the same unconfirmed info leaked from the major retailer Newegg... that's pretty much all we have. From those theoretical specs you can easily figure out which part AMD showed in their benchmarks. But no worries, if you want to apply your own logic based on wild optimism that a cut-down Big Navi part is going to compete with a 3080 then feel free.
You hit the nail on the head their, "Unconfirmed"

Soldato
Will there be a card for my price range of 200 at a push 250, i got the vega 56 last year when it was reduced from near 300 to 249 and thought was a bargain for its specs, had a 670 then a 780ti for a short while before the vega 56 pulse. Im wondering if i sold the 780ti and the vega 56 pulse i might be able to get something new when the new cards come out, not looking for the best but if theres something near 2080 range for cheap i might bite as might be nice to try some ray tracing games or dx12 ultimate compatible ones later on. I mean if there isnt, im not fussed, i can play games ok.

Tho tbh i probs should upgrade the mb ram and cpu first lol but i really dont want to upgrade that stuff as its boring and takes effort, rather just keep gettin stuff i can just swap easily in 2 mins. :p

Soldato
I really do wish people would stop saying "Big Navi" as if it's a single card. It's not. Even if Big Navi refers purely to Navi 21, there are 3 rumoured SKUs on that die. 3 of them. 3. So if by "Big Navi" you do mean Navi 21, then yes, AMD more than likely showed us a teaser of "Big Navi", but that doesn't automatically equate to being the top Navi 21-based SKU.

And it would be idiotic to do so.

Man of Honour
AMD more than likely showed us a teaser of "Big Navi", but that doesn't automatically equate to being the top Navi 21-based SKU.

While true - the mood music on that presentation - that was AMD standing up on their hind legs and saying bring it - I refuse to believe they wouldn't have teased something faster if they had it even if they didn't show off its true potential.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if they are preparing a watercooled edition with cherry picked cores and faster VRAM.

Soldato
I hope we can actually buy the RX 6000 series card upon release, i will buy one if we can.

Do we know if the RX 6000 series will feature HDMI 2.1 ?.

Soldato
and then nvida will bring out another card that will destroy AMD..like clockwork everytime. and then AMD will be better..and then nvidia. and so on and you end up waiting in an infinite loop.and before you know it..your dead and you wasted your life waiting, never playing games in glorious 4k with raytracing.
In the next gen possibly, but in the 3000 series gen, they literally have no where to go with the 3090, it's maxed out as it is

Man of Honour
In the next gen possibly, but in the 3000 series gen, they literally have no where to go with the 3090, it's maxed out as it is

3090 is still 2 SMs short of the full die - but that isn't a huge uplift. Lots of potential if they move Ampere (gaming) to 7nm though (from what I've heard Ampere exists on 7nm not just GA100 and is likely going to be used on mobile parts).

Soldato

I know they did this with the 5700 but think about how upset it will make those early adopters of the 3800/3900 who have suffered with the upward trending prices and poor availability. I think they'd be shooting themselves in the foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom