Car stolen overnight.

Commissario
Sad that this is still happening, glad BMW sorted the signal timing from the keys - I still put mine in a pouch though as I'm paranoid.

Soldato
What logs were these from?

The newer cars are connected to BMW continually, the earlier connected cars were only connected to when you wanted to pull data the newer ID6/7 cars send it automatically. They can send a lot of info down to the camera equipped cars sending the speed limits for roads etc so they can improve the accuracy of the map data.

Even the service desks at the dealer can pull data, I noticed that they connected to the car when it was booked in for a service after a disagreement over a brake fluid change being due the car wanted one with it's first service and the dealer said it didn't need one but the log in the car showed during the phone call they pulled data from the car I assume about it's service status as they then agreed it needed a brake fluid change.

Also read an interesting murder case in Scotland where the suspect used his wife's Land Rover and they were able to request not only where the car had been and when but also when the boot was opened and closed etc.

Soldato
There's an option in the car to stop it updating data back to BMW, this includes location data.

It just stops the data going automatically, BMW can still connect to the car and get the location etc but they only do this for Police requests.

In this case I suspect they know how to physically disable the data connection but always worth checking although you then get into the debate on if you would want the car back.

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
There are GPS trackers that can be wired in, if the person who steals the car tries to jam the signal, it'll automatically cut the ignition off.

One of my mates has one, thankfully he hasn't had to see how effective it is yet...

Soldato
The problem with GPS trackers is that you get the car back. Personally if my car was stolen the last thing I would want is it back especially if its damaged. If its found before the insurance pay out, the car is returned to you and then listed as stolen/recovered is it not? You may now have a car worth considerably less than before they stole it.

Associate
It is incredible how sophisticated they have become. The old quote 'what man can make, man can break'. Despite how the manufacturers try they always seem one step ahead. Physical security (Disklok?) and garaging seem to be be a way to slow them but then they just break in and steal the keys putting you at risk. I may buy a bicycle!! Except I did try that and someone stole it!!

Soldato
It's worrying how easy this is with just a bit of simple radio frequency amplification. I love having keyless entry but if I had something more desirable than a 10 year old Mondeo I'd be a little concerned!

Are they finding ways around the newer implementations where the key goes to "sleep" until it detects motion?

IC3

IC3

Soldato
The problem with GPS trackers is that you get the car back. Personally if my car was stolen the last thing I would want is it back especially if its damaged. If its found before the insurance pay out, the car is returned to you and then listed as stolen/recovered is it not? You may now have a car worth considerably less than before they stole it.
True, the OP said he liked the car etc.

But, I can see how a car with stolen title could be a put off for most. I wouldn't touch a car with a stolen title, unless it was up for a good price/bargain.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
True, the OP said he liked the cars etc.

But, I can see how a car with stolen title could be a put off for most. I wouldn't touch a car with a stolen title, unless it was up for a good price/bargain.
Yeah, although I loved that particular car I really don't want it back now with a stolen title.

Caporegime
I keep my keys in a faraday cage pouch thing.

They are near to the front door, but they literally block out the signal completely. After a while it becomes second nature to put them in there.

Man of Honour
It's worrying how easy this is with just a bit of simple radio frequency amplification. I love having keyless entry but if I had something more desirable than a 10 year old Mondeo I'd be a little concerned!

Are they finding ways around the newer implementations where the key goes to "sleep" until it detects motion?

Like with cheating in games unfortunately the people trying to break these systems are often one step ahead and have lots of resources and skills to work with - especially with cars it is often a static target until the manufacturer updates leaving older vehicles vulnerable if exploits are found, etc.

Which is why I'm not a big fan of these entry and start systems.

Soldato
OP
I keep my keys in a faraday cage pouch thing.

They are near to the front door, but they literally block out the signal completely. After a while it becomes second nature to put them in there.
Definitely something I'll be doing in the future - I thought I was being responsible by making sure the keys were always at the back of the house, but it looks like whatever equipment they have can reach that far.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Definitely something I'll be doing in the future - I thought I was being responsible by making sure the keys were always at the back of the house, but it looks like whatever equipment they have can reach that far.
The Shmee video above shows it in action, the technician claimed that it has a range of up to several hundred metres. Crazy that this tech is accepted!

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Also read an interesting murder case in Scotland where the suspect used his wife's Land Rover and they were able to request not only where the car had been and when but also when the boot was opened and closed etc.
The Crossbow murder? I recall reading that too, the data gained from Land Rover was very detailed as you say, and was the basis for his conviction iirc, as it was so detailed down to the boot being opened, closed, exact location of the car, etc.

Back
Top Bottom