CCleaner/Spybot the best combo still...?

Consigliere
Sooo i am quite out of the loop for Windows maintenance/cleaning/keeping things lovely and pretty. Are these two still the 'go to' software?

I use Avast also.

Thanks and be gentle! :o

Soldato
The built in Disk Cleanup is pretty good, I have never bothered really with things like registry cleaners, but I am sure CCleaner was caught spreading malware at one point so if you do use it make sure its from a safe source.

Associate
CCleaner is still decent but it has become a bit bloated recently and tries to install rubbish alongside it. I've switched over to bleachbit and find it a million times better.

Capodecina
Soldato
I asked much the same question a while back - I was pointed in the direction of BleachBit in preference to CCleaner - seems to be OK.

Last edited:
Soldato
Portable CCleaner with an imported Winapp2.ini that I checking for updates for every week or so. Also use BleachBit, as I find it cleans stuff that CCleaner doesn't and vice-versa.

Soldato
I was advised to install and run ccleaner today. I thought to search the forums before running it. I appreciate this thread is a little old but wondering if anyone uses this or a similar tool?
I've had my rig over 2 years now and not done anything to clean it up. The advice to use ccleaner was because my Outlook program is temperamental and sometimes closes but won't open until I restart the machine.
If I have a load of useless data being stored on my machine I'd be keen on cleaning it all up.

Soldato
I was advised to install and run ccleaner today. I thought to search the forums before running it. I appreciate this thread is a little old but wondering if anyone uses this or a similar tool?
I've had my rig over 2 years now and not done anything to clean it up. The advice to use ccleaner was because my Outlook program is temperamental and sometimes closes but won't open until I restart the machine.
If I have a load of useless data being stored on my machine I'd be keen on cleaning it all up.
Windows disk clean-up is usually enough. There was a thread on it earlier this month: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/simple-optimize-and-clean-up-software.18969094/

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It's been a long time since I used Windows seriously but you couldn't have paid me to use stuff like ccleaner.
It's a good thing you don't need to install it at all then as the classic styled portable version exists.

I still use it and it works fine, BUT it must be tweaked to custom criteria because out of the box simply running it will mess stuff up so it's not for newbies. I only use it to remove orphan entries from old desktop shortcuts/start menu references or obsolete keys etc and also to quickly lean up certain Windows/App caches
UOOMhfO.png

B99OkUB.png

So yeah ccleaner (portable) still does what it did best years ago, but you need to be aware of it from back then else out of the box it's not advised. The stuff I use it for are not touched by Windows built in cleaners (which I also use for the other stuff) with the remainder of the maintenance tasks done manually (the folders and tools on the left) throughout the month to maintain a clean and organised OS.

Soldato
It's a good thing you don't need to install it at all then as the classic styled portable version exists.

I still use it and it works fine, BUT it must be tweaked to custom criteria because out of the box simply running it will mess stuff up so it's not for newbies. I only use it to remove orphan entries from old desktop shortcuts/start menu references or obsolete keys etc and also to quickly lean up certain Windows/App caches
UOOMhfO.png

B99OkUB.png
So yeah ccleaner (portable) still does what it did best years ago, but you need to be aware of it from back then else out of the box it's not advised. The stuff I use it for are not touched by Windows built in cleaners (which I also use for the other stuff) with the remainder of the maintenance tasks done manually (the folders and tools on the left) throughout the month to maintain a clean and organised OS.
Thanks for that, it's helped me clean out a lot of redundant files

Reactions: mrk

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Just be aware that even using the portable version leaves a service running afterwards.
This is not correct info. No service is running even when the app is open. I'm assuming you saw a service running because you had auto update check or something turned on.

hnKguRt.png

Back
Top Bottom