• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
OP
If the pricing of the cpus is anything to go by, expect the prices to be higher. Especially if they now have RT ability.
Yes unfortunately. Lisa Su did same some time ago that they no longer wanted to be known as the cheap brand (or something to that extent). I guess she has looked and thought, "if you can't beat them, join them" :(

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Yes unfortunately. Lisa Su did same some time ago that they no longer wanted to be known as the cheap brand (or something to that extent). I guess she has looked and thought, "if you can't beat them, join them" :(

I dont know Greg, this was one of the reasons why when you or others posted in the past about if AMD competed in the high end with nvidia somehow all the prices would be cheaper. By looking at the CPU space, it clearly does not work that way. Which is why when people berate AMD for having weak(er) products and stating nvidia would be cheaper IF.. its false as like now, if anything AMD will only charge more when being close.

We cant expect them to always offer cheap products yet when they up the game in performance moan that the prices have gone up.

Caporegime
Its difficult, what are you going to do?

Re: my earlier post. So i'm looking for an 8 core CPU, 5800X is too expensive, 10700K is only £375, Intel are now the budget brand....

But hold on, thinking again. AMD's IPC is now so high the 8 core 16 thread 10700K is still a worse CPU than the 6 core 12 thread 5600X, Single thread performance AMD are just taking the pee at this point Intel cannot get in sight, Multithreaded performance because the IPC is so much higher than Icelake is not going to be any faster if even as fast as the 6 core Zen 3, which will run at 80 watts tops, vs 200 Watts, and £280 vs £380 of the 10700K.

AMD are in a position to make Intel look bad no matter which way you look at it.

Associate

Re: my earlier post. So i'm looking for an 8 core CPU, 5800X is too expensive, 10700K is only £375, Intel are now the budget brand....

But hold on, thinking again. AMD's IPC is now so high the 8 core 16 thread 10700K is still a worse CPU than the 6 core 12 thread 5600X, Single thread performance AMD are just taking the pee at this point Intel cannot get in sight, Multithreaded performance because the IPC is so much higher than Icelake is not going to be any faster if even as fast as the 6 core Zen 3, which will run at 80 watts tops, vs 200 Watts, and £280 vs £380 of the 10700K.

AMD are in a position to make Intel look bad no matter which way you look at it.

Yup that's why we need the empire to strike back (read it somewhere)

Soldato
I don't believe on October 28th that AMD will only talk about Navi 2. I believe this will be a prime opportunity for AMD to sell and promote a complete PC system. Something that Intel nor Nvidia can do.

Now that zen 3 is on par or faster than intel's offerings AMD now controls the landscape for reviews. So the question now is: Did AMD think far enough ahead to given Zen 3 an advantage with Navi 2 that cannot be had with zen 3 + ampere? Nor can be achieved with ampere + Intel?

Associate
I dont know Greg, this was one of the reasons why when you or others posted in the past about if AMD competed in the high end with nvidia somehow all the prices would be cheaper. By looking at the CPU space, it clearly does not work that way. Which is why when people berate AMD for having weak(er) products and stating nvidia would be cheaper IF.. its false as like now, if anything AMD will only charge more when being close.

We cant expect them to always offer cheap products yet when they up the game in performance moan that the prices have gone up.

I still believe there will be an RT discount. Grim would be back to pee all over this thread when the RT benchmarks come in.. however, it shouldn't matter for RTX off folks

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
/snip shorter

Yes, so if people want cheaper prices its not going to come down in this respect. AMD were generally cheaper as the products werent quite as good.

It doesnt affect me too much as I would buy the lower tier that offers best I can get, i.e. in Zen 2 I got the 3600, I cant jsutify the higher cost for what I need it for (at the time) but can always drop in a 3700X etc. down the line when its cheaper.

Associate
I have always love nvidia cards but have no hesitation of swapping to AMD if it’s fast and well priced. Competition is great for all of us. Not sure I understand the negativity

Soldato
I don't believe on October 28th that AMD will only talk about Navi 2. I believe this will be a prime opportunity for AMD to sell and promote a complete PC system. Something that Intel nor Nvidia can do.

Now that zen 3 is on par or faster than intel's offerings AMD now controls the landscape for reviews. So the question now is: Did AMD think far enough ahead to given Zen 3 an advantage with Navi 2 that cannot be had with zen 3 + ampere? Nor can be achieved with ampere + Intel?
You already get that in the server market i believe. Not sure how they would pull this off for gaming.

Caporegime
People expecting AMD to be cheaper when their performance is on par or greater is just laughable, they're a business!
It's not 'laughable'... it's about reputation and mindshare. AMD do not yet have the same perception of speed and quality as Nvidia cards so they are not equal in the eyes of consumers even if the performance is effectively the same.

Last edited:
Soldato
Amd might price rx 6000 series higher. But it doesn't mean that they will price it the same as ampere...so just buy ampere (sentiment of it). People expecting AMD to be like Nvidia to justify it 's position in the GPU market (not longer a bargain solution) is laughable.

I'm sure AMD has their own solution. If not similar to zen 3...a $50 bump. And I'm sure they are fully aware that in order to penetrate the market they would need their own pricing that differentiates itself from ampere's pricing.

Last edited:
Caporegime
People expecting AMD to be cheaper when their performance is on par or greater is just laughable, they're a business!

They thing is, despite putting the prices up.... they still are, and by a good chunk, in reality the 10700K is a £220 CPU now, unless its that price there is no reason to buy it, AMD had beaten Intel in power efficiency and performance outside of gaming 12 months ago, that, Gaming, is now gone, AMD have turned Intel's CPU into the Core i7 Bulldozer.

Associate

Yea, lisa su and team is kicking Intel where it hurts atm.

Intel is down.
Nvidia is next.
You guys foresee that a year ago?
:) or a week ago..or two days ago....

Nvidiakiller incoming

Soldato
They can't really do that to Nvidia until they start winning marketshare though. As with CPU's they'd have to establish a bit of market dominance in the enthusiast space first

Associate

Zen 3 so far looks very strong but I can't help wondering what the Threadripper chips will look like. I think they will be brutal :D

As for Radeon RX6000 series, I'm hooked. AMD can take my money now, I'm happy to wait as long as the 3080 customers to get my Big Navi :p

Caporegime

But traditionally even when AMD match or slightly beats NVidia and they list their card cheaper, people still but the nvidia card 4 to 1.

If AMD really want to get back into the game and blow a hole in Nvidia they need to be as fast or faster and cheaper.

I can see their 3080 matching card being $50 or $100 less and the 3090 beating card being £800 to £900 making the 3090 totally redundant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom